Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was granted Spire last year from the Kimpton Inner Circle mapping and bought Ambassador with $$$ a few weeks ago; looks like it might not have worked for me? If so, I can't really object.

Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlash
So, with all you guys reporting either 2019 or 2020 as expiry, I am reading from all the posts here that I am the ONLY so far unlucky having NOT been extended Spire with the purchase of Ambassador ??? Anyone else Spire expiring 2018 despite purchasing/renewing Amb?

For the record, I purchased Amb 24th November. Interstingly, I have an activity line on 27th Nov that says ”ad hoc mailing - program update” , 0 points. I wonder if that is some manual ”adjustment” related
Have you been Spire Ambassador since Spire is introduced? In my case I have always been qualifying Spire with points. So that might make a difference? I am only guessing. I will report back in January to see if mine is changed to 2020 or not.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
I did renew three months ago, so it must have changed from 12/31/2018 to 12/31/2019 already.

HTB.
Looks like your is extended. So I guess you must have been a Spire Ambassador since they introduced Spire? And you have been qualifying except this year in 2018?

Congratulations any way!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
So, with all you guys reporting either 2019 or 2020 as expiry, I am reading from all the posts here that I am the ONLY so far unlucky having NOT been extended Spire with the purchase of Ambassador ??? Anyone else Spire expiring 2018 despite purchasing/renewing Amb?

For the record, I purchased Amb 24th November. Interstingly, I have an activity line on 27th Nov that says ”ad hoc mailing - program update” , 0 points. I wonder if that is some manual ”adjustment” related
my account shows tha 0 point “ad box mailing entry too”. That happened the same time they sent around the email about the (royal) ambassador changes were announced.
but that entry did not change my expiration date.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by chongcao
Yeah you must be. Now we need you to renew Ambassador to see is that changes to 12/31/2020...
I'm thinking of joining new, am Spire for next year. Think an extension to 2020 makes a difference if I join new in 2018 or 2019?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by leland
I'm thinking of joining new, am Spire for next year. Think an extension to 2020 makes a difference if I join new in 2018 or 2019?
I have no idea. Since you are not Ambassador before, I am not sure if it makes any difference to purchase AMB or not. If you do join in, I would recommend join in or after March. Because by then you should be giving free Platinum. Although you are Spire now, but if you are not qualified next year (2019), in theory you should at least keep Platinum with your Ambassador.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I would recommend join in or after March. Because by then you should be giving free Platinum.
Surely As Platinum will be an automatic AMB benefit, I would imagine anyone already Ambassador who isn't yet platinum would be upgraded.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clubman
Surely As Platinum will be an automatic AMB benefit, I would imagine anyone already Ambassador who isn't yet platinum would be upgraded.
You would think so. And I agree with you. But it is better to play safe than sorry.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I have no idea. Since you are not Ambassador before, I am not sure if it makes any difference to purchase AMB or not. If you do join in, I would recommend join in or after March. Because by then you should be giving free Platinum. Although you are Spire now, but if you are not qualified next year (2019), in theory you should at least keep Platinum with your Ambassador.
I think that is bad advice. The poster is Spire for 2019 so I would buy Ambassador now that that he can renew end of 2019 when he is still Spire so that the Ambassador Renewal = Spire Extension has a chance of working for him
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:07 am

This trick worked for me.

Background:
  • Multi-year Ambassador and Spire
  • Short of Spire requal by about 8K points
  • Purchased the $200 offer (with 15K bonus points) a couple of days ago
Result:
  • App shows 12/31/2020 expiry on the account summary page
  • App shows 12/31/2019 expiry on the card displayed when the phone is turned on its side
So it looks like I'm good for either one or two more years?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it

Background:
Result:
  • App shows 12/31/2019 expiry on the card displayed when the phone is turned on its side
That is great for you. I really suspect that the trick only works for people who was Spire Ambassador since the introduction of Spire. But I have no prove so far.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Background:
Result:
Looks like two years of Spire and one of Ambassador.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal

Background:
Result:
Neat!

I was thinking of signing up today, but I might wait to see if I get a join offer on check-in at an IC in January. If I don't get something good then will just wait until there's a time where I'll get some value out of Amb. I have a US credit card so platinum comes with that. Spire is nice-to-have for the extra points boost.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just to check, I signed out and in again and still it shows Spire for me even though I cannot access my account page on phone app, it is kind of stalled. The countersets are zero though.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just to check, I signed out and in again and still it shows Spire for me even though I cannot access my account page on phone app, it is kind of stalled. The countersets are zero though.
Same here and on the website too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.