IC Wellington Master Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

IC Wellington Master Thread

I booked a night using my rewards voucher. An email enquiry said they can offer lounge access for me(Platinum) with an additional $150 NZD. They also mentioned based on availability they can upgrade me to a nicer room but still with no access to lounge :-( Any recent Platinum experiences?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
IME, if you have Ambassador, you get a guaranteed upgrade to a club room if you book Deluxe Executive, Deluxe Spa, or Deluxe Harbour View. Not sure what Plat without Ambassador gives you.

The new club lounge is worth the extra $ (eggs cooked to order in the morning, nicely presented afternoon tea etc.) and the staff are great. For an extra $150 I'd be wanting an upgraded room as well as just lounge access, as that's basically full price for a club room over a standard.

justakiwi
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this a paid booking or is it a form of award/free night?

If it is a paid booking, then if wanting club access, then booking a club room may be slightly cheaper and , subject to availability, may get an upgrade based on status

If it is an award/free night booking, then , if wanting club access, then need to be prepared to pay the difference. A room upgrade will not provide lounge access
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'll be there later this year. Are they kind to RA guests ?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'll be there later this year. Are they kind to RA guests ?
Yes. I'm a regular there. You will get Club access (and it's a great Club) and upgrade to the club floors, plus all the usual stuff.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Yes. I'm a regular there. You will get Club access (and it's a great Club) and upgrade to the club floors, plus all the usual stuff.
Thanks! On a self-funding trip it helps decide between the IC and the significantly cheaper Bay Plaza (suggested by a Wellingtonian friend as as a worn-but-worthy and well-located 4-star).
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Thanks! On a self-funding trip it helps decide between the IC and the significantly cheaper Bay Plaza (suggested by a Wellingtonian friend as as a worn-but-worthy and well-located 4-star).
Easy choice!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Easy choice!
OK .. that's Wellington cleared up .

Now: Auckland. I'm staying a couple of nights on arrival in NZ for jet-lag recovery and curiosity - any gen on the Crowne Plaza there?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:56 am

OK .. that's Wellington cleared up .

Now: Auckland. I'm staying a couple of nights on arrival in NZ for jet-lag recovery and curiosity - any gen on the Crowne Plaza there?
very good at providing a 1 category room upgrade
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:33 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Used a BOGO last weekend at the IC in Wellington, had a great stay. The staff here could really teach others how to provide great service, highlight local produce and make a guest feel like they were home.

Very disappointed I have not been before now, think I have a new NZ favourite destination.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by markis10
Used a BOGO last weekend at the IC in Wellington, had a great stay. The staff here could really teach others how to provide great service, highlight local produce and make a guest feel like they were home.

Very disappointed I have not been before now, think I have a new NZ favourite destination.
I second that. Great hotel, especially the Club lounge.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by markis10

I agree. I have had several stays at this hotel and each time I have been upgraded to a suite with club access and the staff went out of their way to make my wife and I feel welcome.

mxm135
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:25 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Intercontinental Wellington, a little slice of perfect

InterContinental Wellington

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

2 Grey Street Wellington, NZ 6011

Intercontinental Wellington, a little slice of perfect (10 Photos)

Check In

Checkin was prompt and attentive, despite being early a room was found and I was soon relaxing on my bed. With some hotels, a late room change as a result of an early check in will see their systems break and your welcome amenity offered to someone else. Not here, within thirty minutes I had my fruit plate, water etc.

Room

I booked a Club room and was offered a view or a spa bath, as I was solo, took the view. Unfortunately the hotel had gone a bit electronic with the controls, so the room blinds take a bit of getting used to, and the electronic workings mean 1/3 of the window is covered when retracted , taking a bit of the view away. Windows do open, so if you prefer natural ventilation you have options.

Dining

The club lounge is the star here, with food that is not abundant, but very high in quality. Don't expect a buffet to suit all, its more appertiser or entree in the local language. Wine quality is very high, and the lounge offers a flight of wines to sample that are NZ in origin, along with an attentive explanation of what is what.

IMG_1670.JPG

The lounge has its own chef and kitchen, and the sampler plates change each night.

IMG_1672.JPG

I also took Breakfast in the lounge both days, just say Eggs Benedict and you had me at hello, or Benedict in this case. Sorry, I attacked it before thinking photo!

IMG_1673.JPG

Other options are on offer for Breakfast, so here is the club lounge menu:

IMG_1674.JPGIMG_1675.JPGIMG_1676.JPGIMG_1677.JPGIMG_1678.JPG

And finally the view:

IMG_1668.JPGIMG_1669.JPG

Overall

What a beautiful hotel in a small town that offers such individual style yet feels like a country town. The property may be old, but it shines with first class staff, food and service. Every bit of food I had really shone with flavour and freshness, while the service was attentive but not intrusive.

Cannot wait to go back, and will stay longer in future.

Intercontinental Wellington, a little slice of perfect

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Wellington?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by justakiwi
IME, if you have Ambassador, you get a guaranteed upgrade to a club room if you book Deluxe Executive, Deluxe Spa, or Deluxe Harbour View.
Is this still the case or should I email them to confirm?

Just joined ambassador and made a BOGOF booking - hopefully the cert will arrive in time.

Rate is $489 for deluxe executive and $549 for king club - so saving $120 over the quoted prices and with the BOGOF, seems a reasonable return on the 32K points (not to mention renewing spire for another year) - more or less around the upper limit of what I'd actually pay for a hotel like this
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Is this still the case or should I email them to confirm?

Just joined ambassador and made a BOGOF booking - hopefully the cert will arrive in time.

Rate is $489 for deluxe executive and $549 for king club - so saving $120 over the quoted prices and with the BOGOF, seems a reasonable return on the 32K points (not to mention renewing spire for another year) - more or less around the upper limit of what I'd actually pay for a hotel like this
The IHG terms now explicitly state that club access is not provided to ambassadors, so shoudl expect to not be receiving club access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.