Any luck getting expired points reinstated?

Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,580
Any luck getting expired points reinstated?

Has anyone had any luck in getting expired points reinstated under the (apparently new) expiration policy?

I had absolutely no idea that expiry had been implemented -- for some reason, I haven't received a single email from IHG since a stay in January of 2015.

I realize I don't have much claim to loyalty, given a 16 month gap between stays -- but am curious whether it's worth at least asking. I have been Platinum several times in the past, and probably have never before gone 6 months without an IHG stay of some sort.
dtremit is offline  
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:35 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,989
If I were you, I would just write in and give it a try. Be nice as this would be asking for a "favour" and hope for the best?
PayItForward is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:19 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Asia, UK
Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Posts: 5,072
Originally Posted by dtremit
Has anyone had any luck in getting expired points reinstated under the (apparently new) expiration policy?

I had absolutely no idea that expiry had been implemented -- for some reason, I haven't received a single email from IHG since a stay in January of 2015.

I realize I don't have much claim to loyalty, given a 16 month gap between stays -- but am curious whether it's worth at least asking. I have been Platinum several times in the past, and probably have never before gone 6 months without an IHG stay of some sort.
From memory the expiry of points in non-elite accounts with zero activity in any 12months period was announced early 2015 with initial purging of points to start early in April2016

It is almost 3months on from when points probably purged by IHG, so I don't think they will be sympathetic.

I seem to recall HH members losing Hilton points calling Hilton and they were asked to make n nights of stays first and then they got points back.. Probably cheaper to purchase points at $10/1k than recover by making new stays.
scubaccr is offline  
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:17 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,580
To update everyone, I contacted them via an online chat and they reinstated the points (I had about 100k). They did note that they limit reinstatements to once every five years -- so apparently there is a policy of some sort in place.
dtremit is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:04 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,989
Thanks for the update. Now better use those points quick.
PayItForward is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: mountains of western NC
Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Posts: 8,494
You don't have to use all of your points, but you should have some sort of activity in your account asap.
onthego15 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:56 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 413
hoping I will be similarly lucky...I just requested points to get reinstated as around 240k got wiped due to my inactivity (work related of 24 months). I am about to resume the old style travel patterns and would be royally disappointed to lose all those points.
yapak2 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 7,150
The opinion check-in survey program rather sucks as an earner of significant points, but if you DQ from a survey there, it's currently 5 points and resets your mosr recent activity day to the current day.

https://www.opinioncheckin.com/en
beachmouse is online now  
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:17 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,922
Originally Posted by dtremit
To update everyone, I contacted them via an online chat and they reinstated the points (I had about 100k). They did note that they limit reinstatements to once every five years -- so apparently there is a policy of some sort in place.
Why don't you get the Chase IHG Club credit card? It'll not only keep your points from expiring if you purchase one small thing on it a year, but you'll (a) get a 10% rebate on all redemptions, and (b) from the 2nd year you will get an uncapped free global night certificate in exchange for a paltry $49 annual fee, and (c) you'll automatically be Platinum as long as you hold this card (and with a free night anywhere in the IHG system for $49, why ever get rid of it?).

Plus you'll almost double your points with the signup bonus.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:47 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 413
quick update on my attempt to reinstate...
2 weeks and 2 emails and no response yet.
will keep trying. come on, IHG!
yapak2 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 413
And while I still have not heard a single word from IHG....*Drumroll*...
Overnight, points appeared back in my account.
Happy, Happy, and maybe communicating with customers is overrated anyways...:-)
yapak2 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:34 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: UA, AA ,FB, Marriott, Enterprise,Amex
Posts: 76
they are telling me they wont reinstate my points and I missed the expiration by a day! I guess my stay was not qualifying because of the rate I got.

Last edited by jondabomb; Feb 8, 2017 at 6:02 pm
jondabomb is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Programs: Ihg
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by dtremit
To update everyone, I contacted them via an online chat and they reinstated the points (I had about 100k). They did note that they limit reinstatements to once every five years -- so apparently there is a policy of some sort in place.
Hello @dtremit,
do you remember where you contacted them for the online chat?
I realized yesterday that my 80k+ points are all gone. I called the customer service 800 number, i was transferred to tree layers with no help. All of them telling me there nothing that can be done. Very upsetting!
doxnyc is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Programs: Ihg
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by yapak2
And while I still have not heard a single word from IHG....*Drumroll*...
Overnight, points appeared back in my account.
Happy, Happy, and maybe communicating with customers is overrated anyways...:-)
@yapak2, Who did you send the email to? I would love to get 80k+ points back. I called the customer service 800 number, I was told tough luck!
doxnyc is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:57 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,580
Originally Posted by doxnyc
Hello @dtremit,
do you remember where you contacted them for the online chat?
I realized yesterday that my 80k+ points are all gone. I called the customer service 800 number, i was transferred to tree layers with no help. All of them telling me there nothing that can be done. Very upsetting!
I'm not exactly certain this is what I used -- but if you go to:

https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/home

and scroll to the bottom, there's a link that says "Need help?" that directs you to a virtual assistant. That says it can get you a live agent if needed, and looks sort of familiar.

Also, make sure you're calling the Rewards Club customer service number, not the main one.
dtremit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.