Sydney-Holiday Inn Darling Harbour

Old May 24, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Sydney-Holiday Inn Darling Harbour

Might be staying here on an upcoming trip.
Anybody have any comments?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by viking737
Might be staying here on an upcoming trip.
Anybody have any comments?
Stayed at the HI Darling Harbour three times during the last half year - whenever IC was prohibitively expensive.

But, I shortened my first stay to one night and had 1 night stays thereafter as the location is not ideal when needing easy access, rooms are outdated, particularly the mattress and work desk (no power plugs).

Git upgraded every time to corner room with nice view of the harbour but if one needs to simply sleep and work, that's not really something I can appreciate.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
When you say "no power plug" do you mean (easily accessible) at desk level? I usually carry an extension cord in my checked bag (1 meter/3 feet), in case an outlet is located behind the desk/bed/etc. If I decide on booking there, your comments are very helpful in terms of lowering expectations.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:21 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Worth pointing out some of the rooms are outdated, the hotel added a couple of levels back in 2008 and the top floors offer a newer style room on the north wing. The location is good if you are attending a convention or enjoy Asian food as it straddles Darling Harbour and Chinatown, but there are two main caveats at present:

1. The old indoor arena across the road is being demolished and redeveloped, so noise will be an issue ( not sure if it's started)
2. Getting in to the city shopping and business precinct is very much a pain at present with the light rail work on George St, a 20-30 minute walk is the fastest option.

I have not stayed for a year, having discovered the nearby Meriton Apartments often were cheaper and obviously better equipped, but have always enjoyed my stays when I did.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
When you say "no power plug" do you mean (easily accessible) at desk level? I usually carry an extension cord in my checked bag (1 meter/3 feet), in case an outlet is located behind the desk/bed/etc. If I decide on booking there, your comments are very helpful in terms of lowering expectations.
Yes, no power plug easily accessible - a 3ft extension wouldn't have been enough due to size of the corner room.

I think the property is great value for tourists and staff has been significantly more friendly and helpful than at the IC where I find the staff actually properly careless.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by markis10
2. Getting in to the city shopping and business precinct is very much a pain at present with the light rail work on George St, a 20-30 minute walk is the fastest option.
I was surprised how much of George Street was impacted by this work in terms of vehicle traffic. I found it easy enough to walk around or get to underground rail for longer trips down to Circular Quay. If the rate was right, I'd stay here.

I've stayed here a few times before, and did stop by and visit an FTer who had a suite upgrade on check-in last week. I wasn't here due to higher rates and ended up at the Mercure at the top of George Street where I've also stayed a few times ($A125 rate made it very attractive on an Accor sale - think the HI was over $A200 when I booked the Mercure).

Hotel exterior:

Last edited by tom911; Jun 3, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Any updates on this HI? Renovated lately? Fit for families? How is public transport now from here to CBD and Circular Quay?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: QFp VAp ALLg IHGg
HI on the photo above is the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (in Harbour Street). I don't know about the HI hotel itself, but Darling Harbour is great family-friendly area (and can get really busy with visiting families, especially over the weekend). The old indoor arena across the road is long gone, and construction of the new block has completed - and it's quite good change, with lots of new restaurants and play areas.

Light rail / tram work in George Street has (finally) completed. For public transport to Circular Quay, the best connection is the newly opened tram line through the George St that goes straight to Circular Quay. Closest tram station for this line is Chinatown in George St, just a few minutes walk from the HI (not to be confused with Paddy's Market station that is next to HI, but is for a different tram line).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.