FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Which IHG property in Shanghai for an overnight. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1740535-ihg-property-shanghai-overnight.html)

Atacama40 Apr 8, 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 29615344)
​​​​​​What is the point of visiting if you don't stay in a decent area? I'll admit that taxis are pretty cheap, but good luck finding one on a weekend night.

pays your money, takes your choice ..... the place itself is good but for sure there there's a minor time loss getting into town. Never had an issue getting a taxi there at any time.... there is usually at least 3 lined up outside and called in.

If you only have one night there then for sure it may pay be more central and for sure that feels good. But your budget will be double plus. If you got a few days then the saving would be worth the minor taxi spend and time. Expo is incredible value especially if you got RA.

rbAA Apr 8, 2018 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 26083539)
Ihg manages a lot of hotels in Shanghai (more than any other foreign brand, I think), but almost all are in sub optimal locations. Nothing in jing'an, 2 in xuhui, 1 in huangpu...everything else is poor unless you have a reason (e.g. office/client office) to be in a certain locale or are really into subways (they close at 11p BTW).

I know this is an older thread, but I was surprised too see that they renamed the IC Puxi to IC Jing'an. It is walking distance to the US visa office, so I guess that counts, right?

moondog Apr 8, 2018 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 29617624)
I know this is an older thread, but I was surprised too see that they renamed the IC Puxi to IC Jing'an. It is walking distance to the US visa office, so I guess that counts, right?

Since properties 1000 meters from the bund can use "bund" in their names, then I suppose everything is fair game. The area around the Hengfeng Road IC is actually starting to become really nice, thanks to WPP and the Shanghai government. Furthermore, the subway access is superb (e.g. Line 13 to XTD, Line 12 to Shanxi Nan Lu, and Line 1 to Hengshan Lu).

hclee01 Apr 9, 2018 2:50 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 29617655)
Since properties 1000 meters from the bund can use "bund" in their names, then I suppose everything is fair game. The area around the Hengfeng Road IC is actually starting to become really nice, thanks to WPP and the Shanghai government. Furthermore, the subway access is superb (e.g. Line 13 to XTD, Line 12 to Shanxi Nan Lu, and Line 1 to Hengshan Lu).

I used to stay in IC Puxi (or IC Jingan as it is called now) in the past but have shifted to IC Pudong as I find that IC Pudong has more choices for food compared to IC Puxi and that the metro line is not that complex compared to IC Puxi where it can be a long walk between 2 lines. Just wondering what has changed around that area? Thanks!

moondog Apr 9, 2018 7:26 am

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 29618726)
I used to stay in IC Puxi (or IC Jingan as it is called now) in the past but have shifted to IC Pudong as I find that IC Pudong has more choices for food compared to IC Puxi and that the metro line is not that complex compared to IC Puxi where it can be a long walk between 2 lines. Just wondering what has changed around that area? Thanks!

1. There are great food options there now (the basement of the WPP building alone is amazing)
2. Lines 12 and 13 are really good

Honestly, the WPP move (from Jing'an:D) itself was the main catalyst for the transformation. ~4,000 people with decent disposable incomes can change neighborhoods a great deal.

moondog Apr 9, 2018 7:27 am

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 29618726)

1. There are great food options there now (the basement of the WPP building alone is amazing)
2. Lines 12 and 13 are really good

Honestly, the WPP move (from Jing'an:D) itself was the main catalyst for the transformation. ~4,000 people with decent disposable incomes can change neighborhoods a great deal.

wlau Apr 19, 2018 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 29600862)
You are (a) aware that PVG is close to an hour away from whatever the centre may be and that (b) taxis are quite cheap for European standards?

Several Holiday Inns paired up with EcoBus that goes to PVG and SHA with ease. Very cheap also, less than $10USD per ride.

eethan Apr 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Any recent experiences / upgrades with the Holiday Inns?

Stayed at the IC Ruijin last year as a Plat. No breakfast and I think they gave me a below average room - not in the main building.

Any recent experiences / upgrades with the Holiday Inns?

dangeruss Jun 2, 2018 4:55 pm

I see you guys talking about the IC Puxi/Jingan. Would this be a good place for tourists to stay? Have a bunch of IHG points and am looking at best way to use them during a multi city trip that includes Shanghai in mid-July. Does 30k/night at this place seem worth it?

moondog Jun 3, 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by dangeruss (Post 29821836)
I see you guys talking about the IC Puxi/Jingan. Would this be a good place for tourists to stay? Have a bunch of IHG points and am looking at best way to use them during a multi city trip that includes Shanghai in mid-July. Does 30k/night at this place seem worth it?

The JA government attempted to drop them to Crowne Plaza last year, but the location is now great.

Unterwegs Jun 3, 2018 9:18 pm

The subway system is pretty good in Shanghai - and it is a big place. It all depends on which airport you fly into and out of and what you want to see.The Puxi has 2 subway stations about 5-10 min away, the IC Pudong has a big station just 5 min away. Both have restaurants etc in walking distance. In my opinion Pudong is better located, Puxi is the nicer hotel.

moondog Jun 3, 2018 10:40 pm

5 years ago, I thought the IC on Hengfeng Road was dreadful, but the area is honestly pretty nice now, and continues to improve. Furthermore, the Hanzhong road subway station is exceptionally convenient.

rbAA Jun 5, 2018 6:17 pm

It's pretty good considering the rates mid-July are CNY1000+ midweek, so 30k points, when available, is OK, not great. Weekend rates are usually lower. As moondog mentioned, the area is vastly improved, though I've never minded it even before. I think the Metro being close and some areas of interest within walking distance, makes this a good choice. Though, I do/did (as I no longer live in nor visit China) prefer the "real" Jingan area better.

baroqen Jun 13, 2018 4:10 am

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 29658696)
Several Holiday Inns paired up with EcoBus that goes to PVG and SHA with ease. Very cheap also, less than $10USD per ride.

For the sake of reference, a taxi from PVG to SHA is about $50 USD give or take and about an hour without traffic.

I've been thinking about doing a weekend at Ruijin with the kids, but the last post is giving me second thoughts.

moondog Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by baroqen (Post 29861076)
For the sake of reference, a taxi from PVG to SHA is about $50 USD give or take and about an hour without traffic.

I've been thinking about doing a weekend at Ruijin with the kids, but the last post is giving me second thoughts.

$30 is more likely.

Ruijin is nicer than Zhabei, for sure, but I promise you that the latter has amazing subway access.