Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport [SFO] (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by itsallgood
They've added a new surprise fee. $5 each way to/from SFO for the shuttle.
it wouldn't have been a surprise if you'd read the 14 May post

for a couple it's going to add $20 to the room rate, for an airport hotel!

Maybe you could spite them and pay less by using SamsTrans .....
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Or 10 min walk to the Holiday Inn or Hyatt Regency to use their free shuttles.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by econ
Or 10 min walk to the Holiday Inn or Hyatt Regency to use their free shuttles.
I believe the Holiday Inns at sfo have gotten rid of their shuttles altogether.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
No, I'll just put this one on my avoid list. Problem solved. I usually stay at the HR but had a free night that I needed to use.

By the way, SamsTrans is a Phoenix limo service. SamTrans is the local bus service.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone have recent experience at this hotel, or have opinions on the best IHG property near SFO airport.

Honestly, not looking for anything fancy...just a place to have a semi-decent rest before an early'ish flight out of SFO, and don't want to worry about traveling in from East Bay at like 5 am. I see this, and the HI - both north and south are the closest options, with pretty decent rates. I do see this property charges for shuttle, which is annoying, but at least they tell you upfront - both HIs seem to charge an 'amenity fee' which seems odd for an airport hotel. Shuttle (or some easy way to get to the airport) is a consideration, of course).

If any of these 3 are not recommended, is there another that makes most sense? Outside of IHG, last time I stayed by SFO (before we moved to the area), I was at the Aloft which was nice enough, though that was pre-pandemic, so its hard to know the deals with shuttles, etc. these days.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Anyone have recent experience at this hotel, or have opinions on the best IHG property near SFO airport.

Honestly, not looking for anything fancy...just a place to have a semi-decent rest before an early'ish flight out of SFO, and don't want to worry about traveling in from East Bay at like 5 am. I see this, and the HI - both north and south are the closest options, with pretty decent rates. I do see this property charges for shuttle, which is annoying, but at least they tell you upfront - both HIs seem to charge an 'amenity fee' which seems odd for an airport hotel. Shuttle (or some easy way to get to the airport) is a consideration, of course).

If any of these 3 are not recommended, is there another that makes most sense? Outside of IHG, last time I stayed by SFO (before we moved to the area), I was at the Aloft which was nice enough, though that was pre-pandemic, so its hard to know the deals with shuttles, etc. these days.
The CP gets a lot of stick. But I have a soft spot for the place: it's cheap, the rooms they put me in are much nicer than the rest of the infrastructure suggests, it's walking distance from local Burlingame shops and eating places, and the shuttle works well. Disappointing that there's now a shuttle charge, but if - unlike the previous poster - you can swallow that, it's an OK place to stay pre-early departure.
emcampbe likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Personally, I like the CP SFO the handful of times I've stayed there over the past few years. As a Spire, I've always been upgraded to at least an executive floor room or better. I definitely think it's the best IHG option near SFO. As mentioned, since both of the HIs now charge a ridiculous "amenity fee" the shuttle charge to the CP becomes a bit of a wash. Also appreciate it's close access to the bay trail for a quick outdoors workout/walk option (admittedly, the HI SFO South is equally close to the trail).

-FlyerBeek
IAN-UK likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:11 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
CP Foster City is another option but I’m not sure the status of their shuttle at the moment
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
CP Foster City is another option but I’m not sure the status of their shuttle at the moment
Stayed at the CP Foster City a few days ago and this was my worst hotel stay in the last couple of years. As Spire, was upgraded to a Suite, which was in immediate vicinity to the freeway. It was so noisy that even with earplugs, one would not be able to block the noise. Hence, I asked for another room on the other side of the hotel (facing the street), which was reasonably quiet. The room was quite old and run down. The carpet in front of the bed was soaked in an unidentifiable liquid, which was not visible. But from walking in front of the bed, my slippers and socks were completely wet. Totally disgusting. Pillows and duvet smelled as if there were not cleaned for a very long time. The front desk staff was unresponsive and apathic.
Good things: Free parking, only ~20 min drive to SFO, bar with nice selection of drinks and (once a week) brick-oven pizza at decent prizes.
... and CP Foster City has also suspended their shuttle to SFO.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Thought about CP but tripadvisor reviews mention the lack of restaurants in or nearby.

So I booked HI Express SFO North which has a few restaurants and costco nearby. Sporadic hotel shuttle operates only in the morning and evening hours, but FOX rental car is only 600ft away which offers free shuttle all day long from the rental car center. My plan is to take FOX shuttle upon arrival to avoid an awkward phone call and use the hotel shuttle next morning back to the airport. Apologize if it sounds sneaky or unethical.

Edit: Just finished staying here. Shuttle was convenient - comes to the airport every 30 minutes in the evening, and operates a scheduled service to the airport in the morning. Not much to write about other than that. Glad to choose this place.

Last edited by bobbybrown; Mar 4, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm staying here for a night in a week or so. Handy as it's near the airport for a 6:20am flight (shame the Bart is 24h or I would have stayed in the city another night and caught a 4am service - seems to finish around 1:15am, should it not be cancelled).

Been here before and its no worse than other hotels in the airport area. All I need is a bed for a few hours, and won't really be using any facilities as I can get a later checkout from the IC and have lunch in the city.

Tempted to get the train from SF to Burlingame and walk to the hotel. Not sure how feasible this is, but if it's hot, the Bart + $5 shuttle ride will work.

Will review during or after the stay.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xenole
I'm staying here for a night in a week or so. Handy as it's near the airport for a 6:20am flight (shame the Bart is 24h or I would have stayed in the city another night and caught a 4am service - seems to finish around 1:15am, should it not be cancelled).

Been here before and its no worse than other hotels in the airport area. All I need is a bed for a few hours, and won't really be using any facilities as I can get a later checkout from the IC and have lunch in the city.

Tempted to get the train from SF to Burlingame and walk to the hotel. Not sure how feasible this is, but if it's hot, the Bart + $5 shuttle ride will work.

Will review during or after the stay.
It's an easy walk. Well, easy if you are only lightly burdened with bags.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
It's an easy walk. Well, easy if you are only lightly burdened with bags.
Well, decided to get the Bart, which as usual.arrived late at Powell. Can't remember the last time on was on time!

Anyway, went out of the T1 / International terminal and walked up to the hotel shuttle stops. Luckily, a couple of buses were there including the Doubletree / Crowne Plaza one. Got snapped at in poor English by the Asian driver, who was getting back into his seat, and who demanded $5 etc. He then shot off at about 100mph.

Caught a shuttle back in the morning and that driver was had pretty much the same lousy attitude to various people, and quite a few comments were being made about him.
Even with the Doubletree stop before Terminal 1, and a delay due to him arguing with someone, it only took a few minutes.
(Desk clerk in the morning wasn't exactly the friendliest person either, but nowhere near as bad as the shuttle drivers)

Hotel wise, couple of people checking in before me.
Welcomed as a diamond member (had an email saying I'd been upgraded a day or two prior).
They took a $50 deposit from my card

Got a room on the 9th floor facing the airport.
Traffic noise not too bad. Tiny bit more at night when there was less traffic for some reason, but not enough to disturb you.
Air con a little noisy, but it worked.
Few tv channels. Things like "The Batman" on HBO.
Fridge in the room, but no water, snacks etc.
Usual Kuerig coffee maker.
​Nice enough mini toiletries and a soap bar.

It's not as bad as Tripadvisor etc. makes out.
Far comfier and firmer bed than at the IC.
Plenty of power points and USB ports.
Yes some bits need modernised, but it seemed clean and served its purpose.

Did walk to In n' Out for something to eat. A good 1.5 miles plus each way and got a tad sunburnt.
A glut of gas stations and car dealerships across the road, some having a grocery store. Not much else near by that I saw.

Swimming Pool still closed for Covid reasons.
kevino likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Have stayed here many times in last 10 years or so. As others state, the infrastructure is older and rooms tiny, but location is convenient, rates usually reasonable, and I sleep well at it prior to a morning flight.

Tips: the walking/jogging path outside the front door goes all the way up to the Bayfront Park area, and ends basically at the property line of the airport itself. It's a nice place for a 3-4 mile R/T run with fresh air. Otherwise, you can use it to reach other hotels for their restaurants, bars, and other restaurants nearby (Benihana, etc.).

Restaurant tip: avoid what I wrote above, walk across the bridge over the 101 to Mokutanya, a small yakitori place in Burlingame. Great traditional Japanese style restaurant. It shares a parking lot with a gas station and a nail salon. Reservations recommended - it fills up quickly at dinnertime.
kevino and Admiral Ackbar like this.

Last edited by GlobeTrttr83; Sep 7, 2022 at 11:13 am
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I had a stay here in July for about 2 weeks to quarantine for Covid recovery... Mostly good, in the sense that everyone left me alone and I got well.

Room itself was fine. I think I was upgraded to the Premium King Room on a high floor facing the airport. It's not really clear what the difference is compared to Standard Room. The website says they are the same size?

I thought the noise level was low enough. With the fan on, I could occasionally hear the larger airplanes but not too bad.

Overall, as a place to stay in a room for two weeks, exhaustedly streaming Netflix and eating whatever you can keep in a mini-fridge and microwave, it did the job.

Aside from that, the experience overall was inconsistent. For example:
  • Had to extend my stay a few times as I was still contagious... sometimes the front desk would do it automatically, sometimes I had to call and explain, and at one point they told me I had to appear personally at the front desk. (I ignored that and eventually they checked me back in. Not going to give everyone Covid for no reason.)
  • Sometimes they decided I needed a new welcome amenity. So someone would show up, knock on the door, and leave bottled water and/or snacks. No consistency of when or what.
  • Had some parking charges even though I had no car. Front desk couldn't remove them. Told me the manager would call me. He didn't. Also didn't return an email request. Eventually gave up.
  • Room service would not leave food without me stepping into the hallway, making a physical signature on a receipt, and taking the food. This is insane. I ended up only ordering food that one time. Why would you insist on putting your staff in physical danger for a signature that doesn't matter?
So, yeah... if I need to quarantine again, I'd be fine with this place. I could also see it being a good option for an overnight before a flight. Not a good location for going into SF itself.
kevino and htb like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.