Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Matched to HH Diamond Elite...Who Else Matches?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
will spg or marriott match?
Marriott may offer a status challenge if you email [email protected]

Top-tier elites: complete 9 stays within 3 months to earn Platinum status (usually requires 75 nights)
Mid-tier elites: complete 6 stays within 3 months to earn Gold status (usually requires 50 nights)
Low-tier elites: complete 3 stays within 3 months to earn Silver status (usually requires 10 nights)

SPG offers a status challenge by emailing [email protected], and you'll be offered to stay 9 nights in 3 months for their middle tier, and 18 nights in 3 months for their top tier, platinum.

Most info from http://thepointsguy.com/2014/12/hote...lans-for-2015/
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
trying for club carlson..
Club Carlson matched IHG Spire Elite to CC Gold until Feb 28, 2017 when I emailed last week.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ylord789
JSK1973 questioned in a polite way and I don't know how to respond. You brought up a key point: There is not an easy way to redeem points for a luxury(somewhat) stay.

Both my wife and I want lounge access which is not granted for award stays.

I already have 150000 points which I don't know how to use. I am not excited about more points. I very much want benefits for award stays certainly lounge access.

IHG did not do anything about this problem.
Where is it stated in writing that lounge access is not granted for award stays? I have always received my benefits regardless of paid stay vs award stay.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by mastermc54
Where is it stated in writing that lounge access is not granted for award stays? I have always received my benefits regardless of paid stay vs award stay.
It is written in the T&C's!

Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Elite and Spire Elite Members: Platinum Elite and Spire Elite members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefits will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.

mxm135
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MXM135
It is written in the T&C's!

Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Elite and Spire Elite Members: Platinum Elite and Spire Elite members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefits will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.

mxm135
I thought you were referring to Hilton elite status. Why mention lounges when most IHG properties don't have them? There's really not great upgraded rooms at most IHG properties anyway, so I keep my expectations quite low. T&C or not, I haven't encountered any IHG properties using the terms as a reason to deny upgrades on award reservations...I've been treated the same as if paying a cash rate. I think you're reading too much into it and you just may be surprised at IHG property upgrades on reward nights if you keep your expectations low as a Platinum/Spire elite. At worst, you can always ask nicely at check in if you have your heart set on an upgrade at an IHG property.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:58 am

agree with mastermc54, i havent been treated any different on my award vs cash stays with ihg
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Agreed, since becoming Plat and now Spire, I've always been "upgraded" at IHG properties regardless of paid or reward stay. But I've never received lounge access.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:43 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I've been treated the same as if paying a cash rate. I think you're reading too much into it and you just may be surprised at IHG property upgrades on reward nights if you keep your expectations low as a Platinum/Spire elite.
I think you haven't come around a lot

Try the Strings IC in Shinagawa, for example. If you make one booking on points and one with cash, you will be asked to move rooms or pay an upgrade fee.

HTB.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by htb
I think you haven't come around a lot

Try the Strings IC in Shinagawa, for example. If you make one booking on points and one with cash, you will be asked to move rooms or pay an upgrade fee.

HTB.
Perhaps you haven't come around a lot. Admittedly, I have stayed at non-IHG (Hilton and SPG) properties when I've visited Japan, but my observations on upgrades at IHG properties on points as a Platinum are based on a pretty good sample size of hotels on multiple continents.

This is where Flyertalk and Tripadvisor excel...we can share elite experiences at properties and choose to avoid point redemptions at hotels such as the Shinagawa property should upgrades be a determining factor in choice of hotel. To me, it seems that the Strings IC you mention is in the minority of hotels who have a strict non-upgrade policy on points reservations.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by ylord789
I was Matched to HH Diamond Elite some weeks ago too. IHG did not respond to this challenge at all. With such disappointing benefits of SPIRE elites, I am afraid that I will stay in HILTON hotels most time in year 2016 and continue this newly minted HH Diamond Elite status for more years.
Congratulations on being HH Diamond and IHG Spire.

IMHO and from a European point of view it makes sense to participate in both programs, IHG Rewards Club (Spire), and Hilton HHonors (Diamond).

Each program has its plus and minus and is only one side of the coin, the other side is the hotels where we want or have to stay.

Both chains together, Hilton Worldwide and IHG, do cover Europe reasonably, for business stays and leisure stays. Whereas Hilton is stronger in the Full Service segment ("Hilton"), IHG scores with more midscale ("HIX") and luxury options ("IC").

For me that combination Hilton / IHG is an alternative concept to Marriott+Starwood.

So I want to say I cannot follow that either/or choice, the combination makes sense, and highest status is yet relatively easy to obtain (HH Dmd + IHG Spire with around 50-60 nights, or less, practically).

Last edited by submonte; Dec 31, 2015 at 5:08 am
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by thomasmessi
just matched till march 2017!
How many days did it take for you to hear back from HH?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
I thought you were referring to Hilton elite status. Why mention lounges when most IHG properties don't have them? There's really not great upgraded rooms at most IHG properties anyway, so I keep my expectations quite low. T&C or not, I haven't encountered any IHG properties using the terms as a reason to deny upgrades on award reservations...I've been treated the same as if paying a cash rate. I think you're reading too much into it and you just may be surprised at IHG property upgrades on reward nights if you keep your expectations low as a Platinum/Spire elite. At worst, you can always ask nicely at check in if you have your heart set on an upgrade at an IHG property.
i have had many stays at various Intercon properties with great lounges, and have had a history of really exceptional upgrades, last year had eight nights in the Presidential Suite at Costa Rica for 5K points a night, on Pointbreaks, including a connecting King suite, for another 5K, so for the equivalent of USD60 a night, including lounge access, followed by a week in Panama, including club lounge, in a nice double suite, on Pointbreaks also, no complaints^
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:08 pm

Wow.

I sent the request yesterday. No email, but checked hh account and got upgraded to Diamond with IHG Platinum Elite.

I think Hilton is out of their minds to be doing this. I find IHG Platinum status pretty much useless outside Thailand. Even giving hh gold to IHG Platinum members would have been a very generous offer.

Needless to say, Hilton will be getting a lot more business from me this year.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by buddahas
Wow.

I sent the request yesterday. No email, but checked hh account and got upgraded to Diamond with IHG Platinum Elite.

I think Hilton is out of their minds to be doing this. I find IHG Platinum status pretty much useless outside Thailand. Even giving hh gold to IHG Platinum members would have been a very generous offer.

Needless to say, Hilton will be getting a lot more business from me this year.
strategy in respect of the former achieves the outcome of the latter^
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Sent a request for match to HH Diamond on Monday via online and was successfully upgraded to Diamond today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.