Wiki Posts
Search

Point values by hotel category

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Point values by hotel category

Would you be surprised to learn that IHG points are, on average, worth more at lower-end hotels?

Less surprising is that PointsBreak properties represent the best value the IHG program has to offer, assuming you get lucky and there is one available where and when you're going. Even there, however, the average cash rate per night is also typically rather low. And that often makes it harder to convince yourself to redeem points rather than just paying cash.

Realizing >1cpp is mighty hard to do in general and the frequency with which is it possible seems to decrease as points/night required increases, at least from the ~70k data points I analyzed.

Bigger image and full breakdown of the numbers in my blog post: IHG Rewards Club Point Value by Hotel Category
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interesting, but no surprise at all. It's fairly obvious that IHG points can be acquired for 0.7 cents each, so comparing the cash rate for each intended IHG stay with the "point cost" is relatively straightforward. Unless I need a paid stay for a promo purpose, each IHG stay gets this analysis done...

It's not too hard to find examples where $100+ / night (including taxes) hotels are available for 10,000 points = $70. 50,000 point hotels therefore "cost" $350 when using points, and only the rarest of hotels will get away with a $500-700 room rate...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've been trying to figure out summer vacation plans, and a lot of small metro areas in the American West seem to price reward stay prices based on year round occupancy and rates when summer vacation prices can be much higher than what the point requirements suggest. So not too hard to find 1 cent per point or better by using points during peak season or special events.

Holiday Inn Grand Junction, CO- 15K points per night year round

May 28-30, 2015- $170 per night

February 19-21, 2015- $90 per night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.