FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   front desk lied to me (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1636120-front-desk-lied-me.html)

Mauibaby2008 Dec 10, 2014 2:53 pm

front desk lied to me

I stayed at this hotel last week, Staybridge Suites Buffalo / Amherst. They put me in a really nice room with a jacuzzi in the living room.

I check in just now, and besides being a complete dick, says they are completely sold out of rooms tonight and all they cannot upgrade me. However it seems that I can book a wideeeee variety of rooms on the app for this hotel for tonight.

I'm not sure which room would have the jacuzzi, but is there anyway for me to check? I want to complain, because now I have a standard queen studio. Also this is the same hotel that last week there was a fire alarm at midnight and at 2:30AM.

How do I tell him he's lying ? Upgraded rooms ARE available.

VegasGambler Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

You just show him the availability, tell him that you don't appreciate being lied to, and ask to speak to a manager.

Mauibaby2008 Dec 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 23975965)
You just show him the availability, tell him that you don't appreciate being lied to, and ask to speak to a manager.

I only have an iPhone and the app breaks it down by suite> 1 bedroom > 2 bedroom, but none say jacuzzi although I'm not sure I saw that room type ever looking up this property.

Airbridge Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Or you could book and pay for a room with a Jacuzzi perhaps?

Mauibaby2008 Dec 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Airbridge (Post 23976001)
Or you could book and pay for a room with a Jacuzzi perhaps?

I don't mean to sound entitled, but last week front desk staff accidentally set off the fire alarms at midnight and at 2:30am, the general manager was super apologetic and refunded the stay. And the next day I asked (a front desk guy) about upgraded room availability and he says there is availability and to ask this week it should be fine.

With the fire alarm incident, if they have that room available, I absolutely think I am entitled to it. The front desk agent was an ... from the minute I walked in the door; I have a very friendly demeanor and do not deserve to be lied right to my face like he did.

VegasGambler Dec 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Wait, I am confused. I assumed that you feel you are entitled to an upgrade (if available) because you are Platinum. Is this not true? Was this just something that the manager promised you as a way of compensating you for the fire alarm incident?

Either way, whether due to status or due to a promise from the manager, I think that you are entitled to the upgrade if it's available. I don't see why someone would expect you to pay for it?

Mauibaby2008 Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 23976091)
Wait, I am confused. I assumed that you feel you are entitled to an upgrade (if available) because you are Platinum. Is this not true? Was this just something that the manager promised you as a way of compensating you for the fire alarm incident?

Either way, whether due to status or due to a promise from the manager, I think that you are entitled to the upgrade if it's available. I don't see why someone would expect you to pay for it?

I've stayed with IHG all over the world, I know I'm not *entitled* to an upgrade due to status. It is just kind of due to last weeks fire alarms, and front desk suggesting that when I check in today it would be no problem getting that room type although it was not a promise and I didn't take it as such (as much as I am just hoping it is available)

I was just a little shocked by how the front desk agent spoke to me. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I genuinely believe I should get that room if it's available. I'm just going to email the manager who sent me an apology email and see. I don't want to make too much of a fuss...

IAN-UK Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm

I can feel the resentment building up. Not healthy. Best get it out of your system. Best of all would be to forget about it, but i think that isn't going to happen......

It doesn't need to be a teeth-bared confrontation, which would probably not end well. Just say something on the lines of "I just checked and it looks like some more rooms have become available - do you think if i speak to the manager he would (etc)"

VegasGambler Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 23976144)
I've stayed with IHG all over the world, I know I'm not *entitled* to an upgrade due to status.

Well, you're entitled to an upgrade if an upgrade is available.

It amazes me how many people have problems getting these. I never have had an issue. It's pretty black-and-white. If there is an upgrade available and you have the status, you get the upgrade for free.

It is just kind of due to last weeks fire alarms, and front desk suggesting that when I check in today it would be no problem getting that room type although it was not a promise and I didn't take it as such (as much as I am just hoping it is available)

I was just a little shocked by how the front desk agent spoke to me. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I genuinely believe I should get that room if it's available. I'm just going to email the manager who sent me an apology email and see. I don't want to make too much of a fuss...
No sarcasm. I think that you should get it if it's available too. I'd just talk to someone else. If you have a number for the manager, I'd suggest calling rather than e-mailing. Or you could go to the front desk and ask to speak to him by name. You really don't need to make a fuss, just calmly explain your concerns (including the fact that you felt that the person at the front desk was rude to you).

htb Dec 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 23976232)
Well, you're entitled to an upgrade if an upgrade is available.

It amazes me how many people have problems getting these. I never have had an issue. It's pretty black-and-white. If there is an upgrade available and you have the status, you get the upgrade for free.

Yes. But IHG basically specifies that a room on the quiet side of the building, away from the elevator or higher up is already considered an upgrade. Quite sad, actually. I also had to "fight" to get real upgrades, but basically only in the US and Japan. Other Asian countries are much more accommodating.

HTB.

nicolas75 Dec 11, 2014 8:51 am

Not a big deal.
Just kindly ask if a better room is available.
If not, show your suprise as you can see available rooms online.
But no reason to make a big fuss of it.

FinnishFlash Dec 11, 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 23979641)
Not a big deal.
Just kindly ask if a better room is available.
If not, show your suprise as you can see available rooms online.
But no reason to make a big fuss of it.

I partially agree. I mean, no reason to make a big fuss if not upgraded generally. But I, just like OP, don't like to be lied to. I can accept "sorry, can't upgrade you" but "sorry, fully booked, no can do" is awful in my opinion (if plenty of rooms are available).

Mauibaby2008 Dec 11, 2014 10:07 am

front desk lied to me

Well, the 2nd night of my 2 night stay was upgraded to the room with the jacuzzi. On my way out this morning I saw a really nice front desk employee that was there last week and I simply said the same thing I said yesterday, that I stayed in room xxxx and enjoyed it and wondered if it was available.

She said sure no problem and 5 seconds later I had it. It was literally that easy.

Convinced the dbag from yesterday is just naturally... A dbag.

Bowgie Dec 12, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm sure there's a story behind the Jacuzzi

view-with-a-room Dec 13, 2014 1:15 pm

IC Mumbai. RA 2 level upgrade. One level upgrade = executive suite. Two level upgrade = corner executive suite. 1st room executive suite. 2nd room corner executive suite. Noted available corner executive suite on app after manager noted no availability of 2nd room and offered to knock on door. Entire process took over 1 hour but the end result was a view of the sea vs. a view of the dilapidated building.

I also do not appreciate the lies. Airline staff noting a full flight as the excuse for not changing seats but flight not full. Hotel staff noting full booking as the excuse for not changing rooms but hotel not booked. ugh...