FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit (Master Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1633222-holiday-inn-bangkok-sukhumvit-master-thread.html)

Aventine Nov 3, 2023 8:19 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 35715750)
The rooms are not worn. However forget about a suite upgrade here (at least based on my stay), if that matters to you. My upgrade as Diamond Ambassador was the same as restlessinRNO who has Platinum status, ie a corner room. But the most annoying was how they behaved at reception to deny the upgrade - I would have preferred an honest response rather than making up a never ending list of rubbish excuses.

- First they told me no suites are available
- I said a couple hours prior I saw 4 suites online, so perhaps I should check again to verify if that changed
- They then said only one suite is available (up from zero) but their policy is +1 upgrade, and yet they were generous in their opinion because they gave me +2 upgrade
- I showed them the IHG app: still 4 suites available, not zero, not one.
- Then they said suite upgrades for Diamond are at IC brand, not Holiday Inn
- I answered it's not true, then they said they have indeed 4 suites for the night but they are not available yet (it was 1:30pm). Different stance than what they started with.
- I told them if they had given me the choice suite later or non-suite immediately, it would be much better and in fact that's how many competitor hotels handle it. But that's not how it went down.
- They said they give suite upgrades only if customer uses an IHG suite upgrade certificate.
- I told them their upgrade policy is not competitive in this city and that was the end of it.

Bottom line even after arm twisting, still no suite. Therefore it seems that for the upgrades, Platinum or Diamond status does not matter at this property.

Thankfully it was only a one night stay and I was solo to check it out; my only purpose to argue about the suite was to find out how they react and learn from it to steer my future stay decisions, rather than me caring about a suite for that single night. I often do this before committing to a longer stay with family (when the suite will be more important). Objective accomplished: now I know this hotel is a poor fit for me, not to mention the behavior at front desk. There are too many other hotels in Bangkok which are generous with suite upgrades when available of course, including IHG or other chains too. Just in the last few weeks both Vignette Sindhorn Midtown and Staybridge Suites Sukhumvit upgraded me to proper suites :tu:

Holiday Inn Sathorn was also unforthcoming with any suites or any meaningful upgrades last year.

demue Nov 3, 2023 9:35 pm

I got the 1 King 1 Bedroom Suite years ago when staying for a one nighter. I arrived just around midnight and had to leave by 8am (they asked about check out time) which I think may have "swayed" them to give me the suite. Big bathroom, but rest quite ordinary as normal bedroom and normal living room. Nothing outstanding.

If looking at HI, I'd go for the one next to the IC, it's solid.