Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental Double Bay Sydney (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:01 pm

Thanks for warning us about the lounge. When I stayed there they wanted an atrocious amount of money for lounge access and we decided that it was not worth it; glad to know we made the right choice!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:36 pm

I wonder if someone's been reading these threads because the service when I stayed there was outstanding. It was my partner's birthday and they sent up cake and gave us coupons for champagne at the bar (which was of course Perrier-Jouët). I had a couple of 4am conference calls and wanted to let my partner sleep. They showed me to their dining area and brought me perfectly made flat whites as I took my call, which was amazing so early in the morning. And they didn't bill me for them either, which was a surprise! Unfortunately the storms were terrible for most of our stay so the rooftop bar was closed all but the first day, and the pool was under repair. But the staff were so great that it made up for it.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by markis10
This new hotel will be two blocks south of the Parkroyal and both have quite a walk to the ferry. It will be good to,have a second intercontinental with Double Bay deflagging.
Where did you hear about Double Bay leaving IHG? According to this press release from a few days ago about the hotel's sale, it explicitly states that the hotel will continue to be managed by IHG.

khabah
Old May 16, 2021, 3:04 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by khabah
Where did you hear about Double Bay leaving IHG? According to this press release from a few days ago about the hotel's sale, it explicitly states that the hotel will continue to be managed by IHG.

khabah
Their developers, not in the business of hotel running as a going concern, it will stay for a little while but won’t be around in a few years

Independent sources say there are suggestions Fridcorp in a joint venture Piety Group paid $178 million to Shanghai United for the luxury five-star hotel in the heart of Double Bay village amid plans to re-style it as a Louis Vuitton-branded hotel.

https://www.commercialrealestate.com...-180m-1052273/
Old May 16, 2021, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by markis10
Their developers, not in the business of hotel running as a going concern, it will stay for a little while but won’t be around in a few years

https://www.commercialrealestate.com...-180m-1052273/
…ew. That is the saddest, tackiest rebranding I’ve heard in a long while, and I can already see the hordes of overcompensating, dripping-in-brands, DYKWIA guests infesting it.

Ugh.

khabah
Old May 17, 2021, 2:15 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
…ew. That is the saddest, tackiest rebranding I’ve heard in a long while, and I can already see the hordes of overcompensating, dripping-in-brands, DYKWIA guests infesting it.

Ugh.

khabah
I hear you and share your thoughts. LV branded, hmm not for me personally. I guess the target market may be zooming in on the affluent Mainlaind Chinese tourist category who seem to be quite receptive to those kind of branded concepts and certainly they like Australia as a holiday destination as well. YMMV.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:35 am

Ugh.

khabah
Originally Posted by demue
I hear you and share your thoughts. LV branded, hmm not for me personally. I guess the target market may be zooming in on the affluent Mainlaind Chinese tourist category who seem to be quite receptive to those kind of branded concepts and certainly they like Australia as a holiday destination as well. YMMV.
I think what they mean is that the InterContinental Double Bay will be rebranded into 1 of the 3 ultra luxury hospitality brands under LVMH (Cheval Blanc, Belmond, or Bvlgary). Of those 3, Belmond seems to have the highest possibility. However, no matter which brand is chosen, it will require a significant investment to upgrade the hotel because as nice as it is, I don't think this hotel is up to the level of those 3 brands.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
I think what they mean is that the InterContinental Double Bay will be rebranded into 1 of the 3 ultra luxury hospitality brands under LVMH (Cheval Blanc, Belmond, or Bvlgary). Of those 3, Belmond seems to have the highest possibility. However, no matter which brand is chosen, it will require a significant investment to upgrade the hotel because as nice as it is, I don't think this hotel is up to the level of those 3 brands.
This makes infinitely more sense. I doubt it'd be a Bulgari unless Marriott got involved since the brand is part of their portfolio, but Belmond makes the most sense. I can only see a Cheval Blanc in a 'best-of-the-best' location, like if they were turning the Opera House itself into a hotel. Agreed on the comment that whatever direction they go in, any brand in their portfolio will most definitely need big bucks thrown at it to take the hotel up to that higher level.

Come to think of it, Belmond was formerly Orient-Express Hotels up until 2014, and they had Sydney's Observatory Hotel as part of their portfolio. That hotel is now The Langham, but it would be nice to see the OE reboot come back to the city.

khabah
Old May 17, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
Aha, got it. Yes that would make sense. I guess a poorly worded press release. Let's see.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the hotel still planning on undergoing a rebranding?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Any recent stays?

It is not getting great reviews elswhere based on value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.