Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via [Master Tread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via [Master Tread]

+
Location is very central

-
Design of the hotel seems rather kitsch (tribute to first Almodovar's movies?), and much less elegant than its sister in Barcelona
Hotel is as expensive as IC

https://www.ihg.com/hotelindigo/hote...in/hoteldetail
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sounds like a great place to use IHG points, while getting Platinum benefits (unlike IC).
asnovici likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
They were open when I was in Madrid this past June.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sounds like a great place to use IHG points, while getting Platinum benefits (unlike IC).
If you consider 30K points good value for the rates they charge sure. I had a look and saw rates of 130 Euro or so next year which isn't brilliant value in my book.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I actually prefer the Mercure Santo Domingo which is literally 20 feet away from the Santo Domingo metro entrance, plus I get a nice corporate discount. The Indigo is a bit further down a side street. Both properties have rooftop pools which is a great perk in the summer.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:57 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Could someone comment on how this hotel compares with the Radisson Blu Madrid Prado.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by demue
If you consider 30K points good value for the rates they charge sure. I had a look and saw rates of 130 Euro or so next year which isn't brilliant value in my book.
I'm going to need two rooms, so using points seems better to me than getting zilch on a second paid one.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Just had an excellent stay in here. The room was quite a good size, typical Indigo bathroom.

The roof terrace and pool is amazing but would imagine it can be very crowded at times.

Very friendly staff as well. Very good value.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Returned home after four nights here ... if you're a sound sleeper (or deaf), then the pounding music from the sex club across the street, and yelling in the street from patrons of that establishment, the sports bar above, and assorted drunks until dawn ought not bother you particularly.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indigo Gran Via - Madrid

Decided to stay here based on the many glowing Trip Advisor reviews. Their experiences weren't mine, unfortunately. Booked two rooms on points for my mother and myself, starting out pleasantly surprised that they were ready when we arrived from the States at 9AM; however, when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Rooms were on the small side, but most urban European are it seems; biggest immediate drawback was that there were NO drawers at all, and not much closet space, so I ended up living out of my suitcase entirely for four nights. Two double beds together, made up separately, which didn't really help much for a single occupant. Nespresso machine refused to make coffee (ate the pods instead), but we had a jar of instant coffee with us. Bathroom had a shower only, no bathtub, with both overhead and hand-held capability as desired.

Recognized as a Spire at check-in, taking the 600 points instead of a drink. First night, after arriving back from dinner, there was a knock at my door: concierge/bellman with a plate each of ham and cheese, along with a note that read (paraphrased): "We welcome you, Dear Spire Member, please accept this token, and do not hesitate to ask us about the many benefits (!) available to you for such loyalty." When I asked about said benefits the next day, the staff thought I was clearly a barmy foreigner, with a "You'll get your points, what more do you want!" That having been said, the desk staff and housekeeping were incredibly pleasant. The bellman fellow even overheard me asking at the desk about check out time the day before we left (my mother had thought it was at 11:00, but it is Noon), running over to me before the elevator doors closed to tell me that as a Spire it would be 2PM.

We dined at their Italian restaurant the last night: two dishes of pasta, a soft drink and two glasses of wine for 46 Euros. Pricey, but it was good pasta and the service was excellent.

Would I return there? Absolutely NOT! From evening until dawn there was a combination of loud music from the sex club across the street, accompanied by shouts from its clientele, patrons of the sports bar above, and various other drunks. Deal breaker for me.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Returned home after four nights here ... if you're a sound sleeper (or deaf), then the pounding music from the sex club across the street, and yelling in the street from patrons of that establishment, the sports bar above, and assorted drunks until dawn ought not bother you particularly.
I had the same experience, despite having a room on high floor (as the hotel is located in one of the most living part of the city).
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
ROFL. Thanks for the heads up though. As light sleeper this would certainly not be a place for me. Back to the IC then I guess.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Indigo Madrid – a great way to put you off the Indigo (IHG?) brand!

Hotel Indigo Madrid Gran Via

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Calle Silva 6 Madrid, ES

Indigo Madrid – a great way to put you off the Indigo (IHG?) brand! (11 Photos)

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during August this year, the Indigo hotel is rated a 4 star hotel and often has rates similar to the Intercontinental, which looked like a better hotel in most areas.

We went here for my birthday (my birthday was on the day we checked in), and were expecting to enjoy a nice weekend in Madrid, the hotel has a pool too so on the paper it looked like a perfect place to stay. We booked via the IHG app (which is important later on).

Unfortunately my partner fell quite ill on our second day (with a Kidney infection) so we ended up having to spend most of our weekend in the hotel room because she couldn't move.

Check In

Well, I must say this was the best part of the stay, very friendly staff and the reception area is nice and new/clean.

Room

Now this is where I had big issues, as a reminder this is a 4 star hotel, that is very expensive compared to the competition and is often the most expensive hotel from the IHG portfolio in Madrid. We arrived quite late and had a great night sleep on the first night. When we got up the next day we thought that it was quite dark in the room, so we went to look outside the “window”… And this was catastrophic, there wasn’t a window in the sense “transparent glass shield that gives to the outside world”, the “window” gave to a sort of mini hallway (that they called balcony, that wasn’t big enough for more than one person at once) and then this was over the courtyard. The room being on the first floor and the courtyard being a small gap between the hotel and the next building, there was NO natural light whatsoever, attached is a picture that I took at around midday (in August), curtains wide open when it was over 30°C outside and not a cloud in the sky.

2_WP_20160806_19_43_25_Pro.jpg

This was a huge issue for us, first of all as we spend most of the weekend in the room (we managed to go out for food on the 2nd day, then back to the airport the 3rd day), and there we NO indications that we had booked such a room: all of the photos of the hotel were nothing like the one we received, and as we booked through the app (for the accelerate promo) it didn’t indicate that it was a restricted/prison cell room.

I know that the AA is a UK standard and that the hotel was in Spain, but in the paragraph 2.6.13 of their hotel quality standard indicates that for any hotel to get a rating (from one to five stars), it requires: “At least one window that can be opened safely and which provides good levels of direct natural light and ventilation”. So I must say that this experience was a HUGE disappointment, and I do not understand how such a room could exist in a 4 star hotel.

Here is the floor plan where you can understand the situation a bit better, the buildings around the hotel were a few stories high also, so the gap between them wasn't letting much light through

Floor map.png

Other issues with the room: under the desk they wedge the rack for the luggage, so when you take the chair out it falls on you. This fell on me twice during our stay, badly bruising my foot the 2nd time.

There were also tea bags but no kettle (there is a nespresso machine with nespresso caps)

WP_20160806_20_18_02_Pro.jpg

The shower door had quite a large gap with the wall also, so don’t leave anything on the floor there as it will get wet.

There were positive parts of the room: the artificial lightings were bright and everything was clean and new. And there was a nespresso machine. They gave us a wooden plank of nuts that were in the room when we arrived and free water. The room had a safe and slippers.

WP_20160807_12_17_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_12_18_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_12_18_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_12_18_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_12_30_35_Pro.jpg

Service

Our only interaction was at check in and check out, no issues at check in, and when I discussed about the room at check out they where not surprised that such a room was in their portfolio (“but it has a balcony!”).

Location is great, for a tourist it is a lot better than the Intercontinental. There is also a pharmacist across the road which was of interest for us in this case.

Pool

The rooftop “pool” was nice to cool down, but not possible to swim here as it isn’t adapted (open from 10:30 to 20:00 during summer, can be closed outside of summer). There is also a "lounge" and bar area on the roof (12th floor).

WP_20160807_12_36_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_12_36_17_Pro.jpg

1_WP_20160807_12_36_33_Pro.jpg

Overall

As you might have understood, I did not like this hotel at all, and I wouldn’t recommend to any of you to book a room here if you can find somewhere else.

And to make things worst, the lifts are painfully slow in the hotel, so I decided to take the stairs one day, I got to my floor, went out towards the rooms, and there was a service trolly in the hallway blocking the access between the area where the stairs are and the area where the rooms are, I dread to think what would have happened if there would have been a fire...

Indigo Madrid – a great way to put you off the Indigo (IHG?) brand!

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Indigo Madrid Gran Via?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 21, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
I stayed at this hotel for four nights last week (midweek) and thought it was fine. The night-time noise seems to have gone, or maybe I was just lucky. The building next door is being renovated so there is some noise from the building work, but only in daytime hours.

On small tip, the buffet breakfast is EUR 15 or more, but the ground-floor bar does a perfectly acceptable one for EUR 5, including orange juice and coffee.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:21 am

I just stayed in the Indigo as well. Overall I liked the Hotel as location is almost perfect to get around in the city (much better then the Courtyard by Marriott Princesa).
However we had a lot of construction noise during our stay as they are just refurbishing the buiding next to the Indigo.
Furthermore we stayed in the basic as well as the superior room - only difference we recognized is that superior is facing the street.

Overall nice Hotel, good breakfast and excellent roof top pool area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.