Crowne Plaza ANA - Narita (Master Thread)

Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:27 pm
  #106  
formerly rt23456p
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by fmkgb
How did you enjoy the hotel?

What kind of upgrade/benefits did you receive as Diamond (besides breakfast choice)
I didn't enjoyed the hotel at all to be honest, I paid roughly the same price per night at the miyako sheraton in Tokyo, as a Marriott platinum, I was upgraded to a 36m2 Renovated premier room there. The CP at Narita also upgraded me however, only to a 12th floor room with runway view I suppose, which given our stay from 7pm to 6am, became irrelevant, the CP at Narita's room are in a absurd state compared to the sheraton which even opened earlier. For example, the bathroom at sheraton have a separate bathub and shower cubbie, while the CP only have a combo of the two. The TOTO toilet seat at sheraton will also automatically open it's cover and can flush with a single press at the side, both of which were unavailable at CP Narita. The only part that CP takes an upperhand it's that it have wireless phones, while sheraton doesn't, however, due to prevention of COVID, I would not use the phone unless there's no way around it.Overall, let alone the much more modern furnishing, every aspect of the room, the sheraton beats the CP, should I not have an early departure at NRT, I certainly won't stay at any property at Narita.

Other amenities, such as packeged snacks,bottled water and hand-signed welcome letters are available at CP Narita, however, aren't something that would make a huge difference for my short stay.
PES_B1 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:19 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ USA
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Posts: 1,075
Originally Posted by rt23456p
I didn't enjoyed the hotel at all to be honest, I paid roughly the same price per night at the miyako sheraton in Tokyo, as a Marriott platinum, I was upgraded to a 36m2 Renovated premier room there. The CP at Narita also upgraded me however, only to a 12th floor room with runway view I suppose, which given our stay from 7pm to 6am, became irrelevant, the CP at Narita's room are in a absurd state compared to the sheraton which even opened earlier. For example, the bathroom at sheraton have a separate bathub and shower cubbie, while the CP only have a combo of the two. The TOTO toilet seat at sheraton will also automatically open it's cover and can flush with a single press at the side, both of which were unavailable at CP Narita. The only part that CP takes an upperhand it's that it have wireless phones, while sheraton doesn't, however, due to prevention of COVID, I would not use the phone unless there's no way around it.Overall, let alone the much more modern furnishing, every aspect of the room, the sheraton beats the CP, should I not have an early departure at NRT, I certainly won't stay at any property at Narita.

Other amenities, such as packeged snacks,bottled water and hand-signed welcome letters are available at CP Narita, however, aren't something that would make a huge difference for my short stay.
I've stayed at both Miyako in Tokyo and CP Narita. Honestly, you can't really compare them re price/amenities. All the hotels at Narita I've stayed are far inferior to any in Tokyo. Luck of the draw if the rate is similar. You really need to compare the price CP Narita with other Narita hotels rather than Tokyo properties. Hilton Narita is nicer but often higher price than CP NRT. And if you're into toilets (and I definitely am, particular for my last night in Tokyo when I want the full Japanese toilet experience) none of the Toilets at Hilton NRT have a heated seat. A definite downer for me. And none have lounges.
oxfordjames, lsquare and rt23456p like this.
fmkgb is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:26 pm
  #108  
formerly rt23456p
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by fmkgb
I've stayed at both Miyako in Tokyo and CP Narita. Honestly, you can't really compare them re price/amenities. All the hotels at Narita I've stayed are far inferior to any in Tokyo. Luck of the draw if the rate is similar. You really need to compare the price CP Narita with other Narita hotels rather than Tokyo properties. Hilton Narita is nicer but often higher price than CP NRT. And if you're into toilets (and I definitely am, particular for my last night in Tokyo when I want the full Japanese toilet experience) none of the Toilets at Hilton NRT have a heated seat. A definite downer for me. And none have lounges.
The rate for my stay at CP was 14K, while Hilton tries to charge 29K, judging from these photos online, I would stay at the CP.

Any of the NRT hotel offer shower cubbies instead of Bathub? I seldom use bathub so I don't care about them.
lsquare likes this.
PES_B1 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:29 pm
  #109  
formerly rt23456p
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by fmkgb
I've stayed at both Miyako in Tokyo and CP Narita. Honestly, you can't really compare them re price/amenities. All the hotels at Narita I've stayed are far inferior to any in Tokyo. Luck of the draw if the rate is similar. You really need to compare the price CP Narita with other Narita hotels rather than Tokyo properties. Hilton Narita is nicer but often higher price than CP NRT. And if you're into toilets (and I definitely am, particular for my last night in Tokyo when I want the full Japanese toilet experience) none of the Toilets at Hilton NRT have a heated seat. A definite downer for me. And none have lounges.
Is this one of the worst CP in the world? From my dozen years of staying at CP, the previous worst, CP at Wangfujing Beijing, still takes an upperhand over this hotel.
PES_B1 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:56 am
  #110  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,716
Originally Posted by rt23456p
Is this one of the worst CP in the world? From my dozen years of staying at CP, the previous worst, CP at Wangfujing Beijing, still takes an upperhand over this hotel.
I've stayed at the CP in Beijing as well and even that is light years ahead of the CP Narita. It's an absolute disgrace that this hotel is even a CP. It's more of a Motel 8 than anything.
rt23456p likes this.
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:52 am
  #111  
formerly rt23456p
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by lsquare
I've stayed at the CP in Beijing as well and even that is light years ahead of the CP Narita. It's an absolute disgrace that this hotel is even a CP. It's more of a Motel 8 than anything.
Funny enough the Motel 8 I stayed at Santa Barbara features exactly the same amenities as this CP, yet Motel 8 offers free tea and coffee for all, not just for elites.
lsquare likes this.
PES_B1 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:58 am
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,716
Originally Posted by rt23456p
Funny enough the Motel 8 I stayed at Santa Barbara features exactly the same amenities as this CP, yet Motel 8 offers free tea and coffee for all, not just for elites.
Ill post more when I get home. I'm still traveling at the moment. The CP Narita could use a renovation. My rate of 16k is a bit high for the cheap hard product that I got. It's like as if the hotel hasn't had any renovations in 25-30 years. The USB ports in the room are from a plug into the outlet. There are only two of them! Not enough power outlets to charge all my gadgets simultaneously. It's unacceptable in 2023!
rt23456p likes this.
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:17 pm
  #113  
formerly rt23456p
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by lsquare
I've stayed at the CP in Beijing as well and even that is light years ahead of the CP Narita. It's an absolute disgrace that this hotel is even a CP. It's more of a Motel 8 than anything.
Like most CP in Japan, this hotel used to be an ANA hotel back before the 2006 merger of the 2 parties, I would recommend steering clear of every IHG property in Japan with the exception of Indigo, Kimpton and Intercontinantal.
PES_B1 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:12 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 7,593
Definitely room size incl. bathrooms of what they often call "standard" rooms can be small (see my report on CP Fukuoka) though if the rooms were renovated at least it makes it a bit better.

CP Sapporo and CP Shin-Chitose were actually fine for us, but we made it a point to book the renovated / soft refurbed Deluxe type rooms only which in addition to looking at least a bit more modern were also (importantly for us) larger. YMMV.

Btw, IC ANA Tokyo is also a place where you have to be careful with the room category as the Classic, low floor rooms can have a "dungeon" like feeling and all Classic rooms are old as well. The Premier rooms are old too, but at least bigger and only the Club rooms received a renovation so far to my knowledge.
rt23456p likes this.
demue is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2023, 6:18 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ USA
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Posts: 1,075
Happy to say I just completed a delightful stay at the CP Narita. Usually I stay at the Hilton and I’m not sure that this won’t be my go to narita hotel in future.

i found that the staff at CP spoke much better English, was easier to communicate with them and they tried hard to please. I had a major problem with luggage delivery from Osaka to narita during an unusual snowstorm in Kyoto and staff tried hard and succeeded In
locating my luggage and getting it delivered in time for my flight back to USA. Shout out to Himmel and John. They are both gems.

as diamond was upgraded to high floor airport view standard room. Was hoping for premium room but this was fine. The rooms could use a refresh, the duvet was thin, and I would love a heated toilet seat and separate shower but for a few nights it was fine. Hilton rooms larger but not that much nicer and no heated toilet at Hilton either.

Chose breakfast as my diamond amenity. The buffet was smaller than Hilton but I thought much better quality and as the hotel is smaller it was much more pleasant dining experience than the Hilton which can be a zoo for breakfast. Breakfast was so good that I decided to try dinner at the hotel . There was a great kaiseki with wagyu beef (smelled Better than it tasted, but good) tempura, normal Japanese accompaniments, cut fresh fruit and coffee for dessert, 5500 all in. I was pleasantly surprised that when the bill arrived it included a 20% discount for IHG rewards members reducing price to 4400. Never mentioned. Hotel should advertise that to increase restaurant business.

Received a welcome letter and tray of 3 delicious cookies.

17th floor teppanacki restaurant and bar closed. Meals are in cena restaurant on main floor. There is also an in house family mart on main floor.

shuttles were more frequent than Hilton and worked well.

note, ice machine on 12th floor. Perhaps more.

one negative is the annoying Wi-Fi that frequently requires repeated signin. And I was not able to sign into a few websites ironically including IHG app. IHG said there were no known issues and suggested it was a problem with the hotel's wifi strength.

at night I saw several housekeepers on my floor presumably doing turndown. Don’t remember any turndown at Hilton.

if the price difference is as large In Future as now, I likely will be back to the CP rather than Hilton next time I’m at narita.

and if you have some extra time and want to go somewhere close but off the beaten path, try SAKURA. 20 minutes ride from Keisei-Narita station which is 2 minute walk from JR NARITA Station. Many things to do including a huge Japanese history museum with some English, DIC art museum with shuttle bus from Sakura station, or just walking through the charming and authentic Japanese town of Sakura and explore its stores. There is a great tea/matcha store and a sake store near the town’s tourist information one block from train station (no credit cards). And no, the town is not named for the cherry trees. I’m told words sound the same but written differently in kanji.

Last edited by fmkgb; Jan 29, 2023 at 7:19 am
fmkgb is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:16 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Europe
Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Posts: 1,359
For those complaining abut this hotel, the other non chain hotels around Narita airport are MUCH worse.
Yes, the crowne plaza is outdated and old fashioned, but so are 75% of most other hotels in Japan, and for 1 night stay near the airport, it does the job, and for the reasonable prices they charge it's more than adequate.
They recognise IHG elites and give all the benefits expected.
The frequent and totally FREE shuttle to/from the airport (which also goes to Narita town and a huge shopping mall nearby also for free) is very handy too.
After the Hilton, this is your second best choice at Narita.
If they renovate this place, prices will be double what they are now.
TravelinSperry and minz56 like this.
est-gratuite is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:50 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 26
I really enjoyed my one night stay here, the breakfast was one of the best I've had in an IHG property
est-gratuite likes this.
unimpeded is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:55 pm
  #118  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,716
Originally Posted by unimpeded
I really enjoyed my one night stay here, the breakfast was one of the best I've had in an IHG property
What was the breakfast spread like?
lsquare is online now  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:35 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by lsquare
What was the breakfast spread like?
Mix of Western and Japanese food, there was good variety so maybe 2x the number of dishes compared to other Crowne Plaza locations. My favourite dishes was the fried chicken and pork wonton(?).
unimpeded is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:38 pm
  #120  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,716
Originally Posted by unimpeded
Mix of Western and Japanese food, there was good variety so maybe 2x the number of dishes compared to other Crowne Plaza locations. My favourite dishes was the fried chicken and pork wonton(?).
Too bad I can't find any photos of the food spread.
lsquare is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.