FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1582161-ihg-account-terminated-after-registering-several-promotion-codes.html)

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 12, 2014 2:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 23021127)
Wasn't there a time where IHG customers were asked where they got a promo registration code and one of the options in the pulldown included "friend(s)" or "other" when registering for the promo? [I don't want to ask someone to look up my screen capture feeds from years ago about this matter, but I have no doubt it was something like that.]

If so, then that is pretty much a sign that "friends" sharing promo codes was formally accepted by IHG and formally acceptable under the program rules.

I think cir. 2012 the option of choose sources was removed (or could be 2011, not quite sure). That includes: email, friends, post card, hotel promotional material and others. Sufficient to say if you have not registered any code after 2012/2013, your account would be safe. I would be seriously worried if one registered more than a give number of codes (exact number only IHG's Mr. L and Mr. F knows. Both names are used to send member emails about termination of account) that were not sent by IHG to his/her email or displayed in IHG hotels in 2012 and after.

I have registered some codes in 2011/2012. Not many but a dozen of known ones, and only half was working. I think I will be safe, given the known facts from other forum where there are at least 30 odd people known to got their accounts terminated.

no2chem Jun 12, 2014 2:20 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 23021187)
I think cir. 2012 the option of choose sources was removed (or could be 2011, not quite sure). That includes: email, friends, post card, hotel promotional material and others. Sufficient to say if you have not registered any code after 2012/2013, your account would be safe. I would be seriously worried if one registered more than a give number of codes (exact number only IHG's Mr. L and Mr. F knows. Both names are used to send member emails about termination of account) that were not sent by IHG to his/her email or displayed in IHG hotels in 2012 and after.

I have registered some codes in 2011/2012. Not many but a dozen of known ones, and only half was working. I think I will be safe, given the known facts from other forum where there are at least 30 odd people known to got their accounts terminated.

Other forum = FlyerTea? What was the consensus there?

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 12, 2014 5:52 am

Originally Posted by no2chem (Post 23021206)
Other forum = FlyerTea? What was the consensus there?

From my observation, almost 80% (about 20-odd) admits or suspects their temporary suspension or permanent termination of their IHG rewards account is the direct result of registering multiple promotional codes in 2012, 2013 (2013 being the most noticeable year) and 2014.

There were a few (around 15%, about 5 posters) had their account suspended or terminated after booking point breaks nights in IC Hangzhou and CP Beijing in last round of PB.

None came forward to claim their account was suspended due to cash sale of award nights or manipulated status match (although we knew these activities exist in Taobao, the Chinese equivalent of ebay).

sdsearch Jun 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 23021635)
From my observation, almost 80% (about 20-odd) admits or suspects their temporary suspension or permanent termination of their IHG rewards account is the direct result of registering multiple promotional codes in 2012, 2013 (2013 being the most noticeable year) and 2014.

And, IIRC, all of those were relative low-usage IHG members.

Ie, I have not heard of a single person who registered for a half dozen to dozen promo codes (like I did) once during either Big Win fall 2013 or Big Win early 2014 (ie, in the past 10 months), but meanwhile did do all the paid stays required to complete all their Big Win tasks in both rounds of the Big Win, having had a problem with their account yet.

Ie, analysis earlier in this thread seemed to lean towards a theory that only "unprofitable" customers (extremely few paid stays) who were registering for multiple promo codes had had problems with their accounts. Have we seen any counter-example to that yet?

beachmouse Jun 12, 2014 12:59 pm

There was a RA in the comments of the Loyalty Lobby blog that said he'd lost his account, IIRC.

olegator Jun 12, 2014 2:20 pm

And he\she was Real RA? (not just referred by voucher?)

beachmouse Jun 12, 2014 2:37 pm

Correction to that- Skimming back down, it looks like the RA's problem was BOGO use or BRG overuse and not specifically promo codes.

mitpat474 Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 23024318)
Correction to that- Skimming back down, it looks like the RA's problem was BOGO use or BRG overuse and not specifically promo codes.

I think it was BOGO use , like a LOT of them weekly kind of scenario

mgmsteven Jun 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by tringer2103 (Post 22977176)
I would be curious to know if any of the accounts that have been terminated are holders of the IHG Chase credit card. What would happen if IHG terminated the account of a card holder? Would IHG then inform Chase and somehow have the credit card terminated as well? It would seem to me that would be difficult for IHG to pull off especially considering their relationship with Chase is presumable profitable.

Why would anyone want to retain their IHG Chase credit card if their account was terminated? If my account was terminated, the IHG Chase card would be promptly cancelled by me. It would have no rewards value if my account was closed. There are four separate IHG Chase cards in my extended family and the consensus is that they would be cancelled.

tringer2103 Jun 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by mgmsteven (Post 23025746)
Why would anyone want to retain their IHG Chase credit card if their account was terminated? If my account was terminated, the IHG Chase card would be promptly cancelled by me. It would have no rewards value if my account was closed. There are four separate IHG Chase cards in my extended family and the consensus is that they would be cancelled.

I wouldn't want to retain the card if my account was terminated. I'm just wondering if IHG would hesitate to terminate the account of a IHG credit card holder due to the relationship with Chase.

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 13, 2014 1:48 am

Originally Posted by tringer2103 (Post 23025777)
I wouldn't want to retain the card if my account was terminated. I'm just wondering if IHG would hesitate to terminate the account of a IHG credit card holder due to the relationship with Chase.

If you need more data point. More than half had their accounts terminated do have Chinese CITIC bank issued IHG platinum card.

Also comment to sdresearch. From my understanding most people I observed are actively involved with IHG. One of my research in last round member termination suggest an average nights stayed per night is over 37 per member. This figure was from 2011 when IHG terminated lots accounts including several RAs for no apparent reason. Start from this year they actually tell the member the reason. I.e. code.

FlyerTalker688786 Jun 13, 2014 1:57 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23023642)
And, IIRC, all of those were relative low-usage IHG members.

Ie, I have not heard of a single person who registered for a half dozen to dozen promo codes (like I did) once during either Big Win fall 2013 or Big Win early 2014 (ie, in the past 10 months), but meanwhile did do all the paid stays required to complete all their Big Win tasks in both rounds of the Big Win, having had a problem with their account yet.

Ie, analysis earlier in this thread seemed to lean towards a theory that only "unprofitable" customers (extremely few paid stays) who were registering for multiple promo codes had had problems with their accounts. Have we seen any counter-example to that yet?

There were at least two people complaint their accounts were closed due to register code this year. They got the point ok including big win. Only when they used the points to book redemption nights their accounts got audited, and subsequently got cancelled. Two or three other individuals got lucky. They called member help line which is referred ad 4848 as the 800 ends with 4848. After a verbal warnings abd promise no more codes they got their accounts back. The first two I mentioned was referred to Mr. L and got account terminated. Again I don't know the criteria of temporary suspension or permanent termination. But I reiterate my thinking that one should seek clarification from Mr. L and Mr. F if the individual had registered more than a dozen of Codes during 2013 and 2014 which exludes big win and ambassador accelerator or being targeted.

no2chem Jun 13, 2014 4:05 am

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 23026848)
There were at least two people complaint their accounts were closed due to register code this year. They got the point ok including big win. Only when they used the points to book redemption nights their accounts got audited, and subsequently got cancelled. Two or three other individuals got lucky. They called member help line which is referred ad 4848 as the 800 ends with 4848. After a verbal warnings abd promise no more codes they got their accounts back. The first two I mentioned was referred to Mr. L and got account terminated. Again I don't know the criteria of temporary suspension or permanent termination. But I reiterate my thinking that one should seek clarification from Mr. L and Mr. F if the individual had registered more than a dozen of Codes during 2013 and 2014 which exludes big win and ambassador accelerator or being targeted.

Wow, thanks for the summary. I think your posts are some of the most informative in this thread!

I wonder how many points these people had in their accounts (maybe they booked 500k points worth of nights, which triggers an audit?)

The Chinese IHG Platinum card has a huge AF, I've noticed. Much more than the US-based one.

foxberg Jun 13, 2014 8:09 am

Originally Posted by no2chem (Post 23027088)
Wow, thanks for the summary. I think your posts are some of the most informative in this thread!

I wonder how many points these people had in their accounts (maybe they booked 500k points worth of nights, which triggers an audit?)

The Chinese IHG Platinum card has a huge AF, I've noticed. Much more than the US-based one.

500K points worth of nights is nothing. It's just 10 nights at most IC. Since when companies punish people for spending points/miles they've accumulated? Is IHG HQ ran by members of the British Communist Party? I'm telling you, until some law firm files a class action suit against IHG and make this very public this will not stop.

Bakkie Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am

I am one more victim to add to the statistics. Brief details:

Last month I registered promo codes posted here and on PriorityClub Insider and a travel blog (can't remember which).

My next stay the bonus points were credited, but then all my accumulated points were confiscated (~250k).

Multiple calls to CS and long waits on hold revealed that my account was closed due to fraud - using a non-targeted promo code.

I finally asked to talk to senior manager and they took my mobile# and email and promised me a response. No response in a week.

I was a Platinum member for a few years but I have only stayed at IHG hotels a few times in the past two years. I was saving my remaining points for a long overdue family vacation. I am upset and offended to be accused of committing fraud. I consider myself an honest person.

I will continue to contact CS and ask politely for my original points to be reinstated.

Last year I stayed at hotels for over 140 nights. Unfortunately few IHG hotels were in my work areas, so my IHG nights were few. I try to stay at IHG when I can. Some years I work near my favourite IHG (staff know me and are really nice), and my nights accumulate. It is IHG's interest to keep me as a customer.

Thank you to all that have posted their insights and experiences here. It has been somewhat comforting to know that I am not alone.

UPDATE: I called CS and was finally forwarded to the Executive Office voicemail, where I left a message. After a few hours with no reply I called CS again, and was then forwarded to Kent Fox. He kindly spent several minutes with me reviewing my case. He reiterated that my account was closed due to fraudulent activities - using a non-targeted promo code. I explained that the codes were freely available on forums such as these and that the general consensus is that entering them into the IHG system was not fraud. He would not discuss the forums or blogs that post codes. He repeated that some codes I entered were fraudulent and that the account was terminated permanently. From my file he used as an example the fact that I had entered a code targeted only to Platinum members, and I since I was no longer a Platinum member this was fraudulent. I explained that I felt that I had been treated unfairly and would like to discuss this with someone who was not as restricted in their abilities. He told me that all requests would end up at his office and there was no way to reactivate the account.
I am very disappointed with IHG and will no longer be staying at their hotels.