Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:57 am

Hey Yanks ...

I've watched your TV shows on 'extreme couponing' ...

Don't try telling the rest of the world, that 'thy are holier than thou' ...

What ? It's ok to get over $2,000. worth of groceries for a penny ( 1 cent ) ...

but it's not ok to collect 'points' by almost the same means ?? ( trawling through the internet, compared to trawling through magazines and newspapers for shopping coupons)
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by :D!
So should we avoid stacking promo codes...? Was planning on adding a long list of numbers just before my next stay.
all my promo code is now gone. only left with big win.

that's may be why they "downgraded" me to Gold. Really unprofessional. I gained my Platinum in 2013 because I bought 60,000 points in 2012, which still count toward the status that time.....

Even that IHG should honor what has already been issued. Anyway, they can easily give status match for someone with Accor Platinum. So why so hard with existing member and they should work toward patching the loop holes!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by George8052
Does it say anywhere if you are not targeted for a promo don't use it?
Can we sue IHG? I guess we can't right.

The only way to show dissatisfaction is not staying at any IHG hotel!!!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lingua101

that's may be why they "downgraded" me to Gold. Really unprofessional. I gained my Platinum in 2013 because I bought 60,000 points in 2012, which still count toward the status that time.....

Even that IHG should honor what has already been issued. Anyway, they can easily give status match for someone with Accor Platinum. So why so hard with existing member and they should work toward patching the loop holes!!!!
Um, they wil have downgraded you to gold since you failed to meet the qualifying target for platinum renewal. Doesn't seem very unprofessional
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by 404
but it's not ok to collect 'points' by almost the same means ?? ( trawling through the internet, compared to trawling through magazines and newspapers for shopping coupons)
There's a big difference between actually collecting many coupons vs 1 person collecting a coupon and then effectively giving copies to anyone
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:27 am

Well considering you gained platinum in 2012 and the status is good for the year in which you gain it and the following year, you should have been "downraded" in 2014 if you didn't do anything to qualify in 2013. At least IHG has a soft landing policy where they only drop you one level if you don't requalify, but gold doesn't really get you much anyway.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Um, they wil have downgraded you to gold since you failed to meet the qualifying target for platinum renewal. Doesn't seem very unprofessional
I am not saying they are not professional because of it.

they did sent a platinum card to me and some others with validity until 2014 creating impression that IHG has given us another year of Plat status and now they are saying oppps this is not the case. This is what I said not professional. Even if it is a mistake they should honor it!!!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:34 am

they did sent a platinum card to me and some others with validity until 2014 creating impression that IHG has given us another year of Plat status and now they are saying oppps this is not the case. This is what I said not professional. Even if it is a mistake they should honor it!!!
Ok, yea that is different. They definitely should honor it if you are one of the people that got a letter saying you are being comped plat. A letter like that could cause someone who may have changed their plans or done a little extra just to qualify not to do it since they have it already. In effect taking that option away from you if you really wanted it.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:12 pm

[There's a big difference between actually collecting many coupons vs 1 person collecting a coupon and then effectively giving copies to anyone]

But what's wrong with collecting coupons and telling other people about them?
The same as what's wrong with collecting codes and telling other people about them?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

they did sent a platinum card to me and some others with validity until 2014....
Operative word bolded. It's now 2014. That's how the elite status calendar works.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by George8052

But what's wrong with collecting coupons and telling other people about them?
The same as what's wrong with collecting codes and telling other people about them?
It is very different. If a coupon in printed in a magazine ( for example ) then the person has to get the magazine to get the coupon; i.e. all people getting benefits have to have met the requirement of buying/being given a copy of the magazine

If a person receives a mail/email offering them a promotion with details on how to register if they want to partake, that doesn't make it a forward to 1000 people and they will be eligable too
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
LOOOL
Leaving the question of morality to one side for a moment, what I find odd is that IHG clearly know that these codes are being posted on FT and used.

If they were really unhappy about it, I feel that a representative of IHG should have contacted a forum mod.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
There is a difference between "valid until 2014" and "valid through 2014". And that amount is equal to 365 days.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:28 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Fanjet
There is a difference between "valid until 2014" and "valid through 2014". And that amount is equal to 365 days.
That's why, if someone says "you have until Sunday to apologize" you have to apologize no later than Saturday? I don't think so.

HTB.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by InHere
I just had 4 stays recently post to my account and 4 more that have yet to post. The points earned from each stay have all been different so far. I just went down the line and put all of the codes in. My first stay only got 1.5k bonus pts, my second got 17k bonus points, my third got 1k bonus points, and my fourth got 8k bonus points. I had no idea that I may be breaking the terms by using promo codes. One of the biggest benefits of shopping on line is the huge amount of deals that can be found if you look. To me stacking promo codes is just like finding a deal. If something was erroneous with the deal, why wouldn't IHG just invalidate and take points back similar to how they would give your money back if they made a mistake and let you book a room for a ridiculously low rate. They wouldn't close your account for trying to take advantage of them. Nothing about that situation seems right. I would go out of my way to a avoid any IHG brand if they really are starting to treat customers like that and close people's accounts without so much as a warning. We have also earned a lot of points spending money in their hotels and restaurants.
Similar here, a colleague and I both registered all the codes and then had our first stay in the same hotel on the same date, this reported today after the stay on Monday gone.

My colleague ended up with over 21k of points for that stay

I ended up with just over 6k points for the same stay at the same rate

Of all the codes only the ones below gave me any points, hoping that my second stay which should report tomorrow will do the same as yours

NEW MEMBER BONUS PROMOTION

3,000 pts.

ANNIVERSARY BONUS OFFER

1,000 pts.

New Stay Bonus

1,500 pts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.