FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1493310-crowne-plaza-beijing-wangfujing-master-thread.html)

100,000miler Oct 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing [Master Thread]

Would appreciate reports on this property as I must be there in Beijing in late November and again in Dec. I have stayed at the Novotel Peace Hotel which is very so so.

Thanks

German Expat Oct 23, 2008 7:56 pm

I didn't stay there for almost 2 years now but used to stay there quite a lot. The regular rooms are kind of smallish but the rooms on the executive level are quite nice. Lounge has pretty decent free breakfast but can get full. The pool is relative small on the top floor, gym is ok and was empty the couple times I used it. ATM in the lobby worked with my US debit card to get cash out.
The hotel is in a pretty good location and you have restaurants and shopping in walking distance.

JDiver May 19, 2009 7:42 am

After a most pleasant stay at the new Hilton my group booked us in here (May 2009.) This is obviously a rebadged HI and the 2005 renovation is wearing thin. Dirt was prevalent - strange hairs in the bathroom, a bit of grit here and there. The restaurant food (e.g. breakfast) was mediocre at best. Service was missing from the start - other than the pleasant elevator button pusher on the lobby floor and the very attentive chap greeting people at the restaurant for breakfast, people avoided service or provided a very low level. In the rooms, thin towels, no replenishment of the tiny soaps, half-bottles of water... needless to say, no recommendation other than to stay elsewhere.

JDiver May 30, 2009 6:42 pm

CP Beijing (Wangfujing)

The best thing about this tired, 1970's reminiscent property (rebadged from a Holiday Inn when it was last refurbished) is the location, on Wangfujing Street and very near the Donhuamen Night Market, Wangfujing Snack Street (I enjoy the people watching here, not the overpriced food,) lots of shopping, etc. It's also very close to one of the Quanjude chain's duck restaurant, but I can't recommend that either - try Da Dong or Xiang Man Lou, though they are not as close by a long shot (see the Duck thread in the China Forum.)

The hotel itself is largely a stop for middle-end bus tours, with service to match (that is too say, very little service here, with the possible exception of the jolly man who works greeting and seating at the main lobby restaurant.) Front desk staff was basically dismissive, waitstaff in the restaurants not attentive at all.

The rooms are nothing to write home about, but have most of the mod cons, and some dirt - we had a variety of hairs and other bits and pieces in our bathroom, and the rooms are looking worn. Air con was pretty useless, and it wasn't even really hot in Beijing early May - and the duvet was not a feature, given the lackadaisical HVAC. Amenities used (such as soap) were not replaced, and the two standard courtesy bottles of water were tiny. HSIA in the room is RMN/CNY 120 per 24 hours, and is acceptable for Skyping home or whatever.

The food in the restaurants, including the breakfast buffet, is unimaginative and quite ordinary - service is lacking.

I would never recommend staying here - if you need the location, stay at the new Hilton Wangfujing, with stellar service and rooms three times as large.

Markus1301 Sep 3, 2009 5:46 am

CP Beijing

Folks,

I usually stay at the IC Beichen in Beijing. This time I want to give the CP:

Crowne Plaza Hotel
BEIJING
48 WANGFUJING AVE., DONGCHENG DIST.
BEIJING, 100006 CHINA

a try.

Does anyone have some experience with this hotel?

How is the gym, the pool and the executive floor? Do they offer good breakfast, tea and dinner (like in the two IC's in Beijing?)

Thank all for helping.

Markus

sarming Sep 3, 2009 6:13 am

CP Beijing

Great location. Wander down Wangfujing walking street to small outside beer stalls.

Pool tiny on an upper floor. Good exec lounge.

Jack, the concierge is super helpful. I booked an airport transfer and they met me at the airbridge.

mycity68 Sep 3, 2009 8:15 am

Stayed there five times over the years, great location, club floor very good and a great lounge area.

Chinatrvl Sep 3, 2009 8:32 am

See also, though older

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...angfujing.html
Although I def cannot agree with the last poster in this thread.

and the "Beijing IHG guide"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ihg-guide.html

Markus1301 Sep 3, 2009 9:41 am

If it is bad I will move to the IC Financial Street.
It's a pity to get points per stay. This is the only reason for me to go to CP properties.

Markus

Chinatrvl Sep 3, 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Markus1301 (Post 12326088)
If it is bad I will move to the IC Financial Street.
It's a pity to get points per stay. This is the only reason for me to go to CP properties.

Markus

There are worlds between the IC and CP. The IC is def the better hotel - at almost the same price.

Shareholder Sep 3, 2009 10:46 am

There are many posts on the master thread for this property. Why not go there before starting another?

dimsage Sep 3, 2009 10:51 am

great location for CP wangfujing, there is a famous church (old church dating back to 1900s) just at the gate.
but old amenities(notorious old)
AFAIK, this CP is the first IC properties in Beijing. AT least 10 years.
if you prefer CP, i recommend ZHONGGUANCUN and SUN PALACE
both are great.
SUN PALACE upgrade plat member directly to club level
but indeed, the surrounding of SUN PALACE is not good. At least, many cab drivers don't know how exactly go to the property

andrewwm Sep 3, 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by dimsage (Post 12326508)
great location for CP wangfujing, there is a famous church (old church dating back to 1900s) just at the gate.
but old amenities(notorious old)
AFAIK, this CP is the first IC properties in Beijing. AT least 10 years.
if you prefer CP, i recommend ZHONGGUANCUN and SUN PALACE
both are great.
SUN PALACE upgrade plat member directly to club level
but indeed, the surrounding of SUN PALACE is not good. At least, many cab drivers don't know how exactly go to the property

Agree that the location of the CP Wangfujing is about the only thing going for it (and it is a major plus for those sight-seeing). Rooms are fairly tatty and they feel much more like a Chinese 4 star hotel than a Western 4 star hotel (despite the fact that you will be paying Western 4 star prices). Elite recognition is fairly minimal ("upgrade" from lowest room (which overlooks atrium) is to a same-sized room overlooking the street), probably because they do most of their business in tour groups.

Newer CP's are a much better deal, but location isn't that great. Also consider the new Holiday Inn Deshengmen. In my experience, the rooms are on par with those of the Crowne Plaza for 1/2 the price (of standard advanced purchase), and location is pretty good too.

Markus1301 Sep 12, 2009 3:30 am

I'm just about to leave on night earlier...
Hotel situated great!
Hotel standard bad!
Lounge good! Good food and drinks whole day.
Got upgraded to a suite but this is the worst "room I ever had" old and dirty..
Service OK
BAD: they close the gym at 11pm cry:
Should have taken the IC finacial street as usual. Would have been much more points!
Now I'm moving to the IC Shanghai!

lililolo May 2, 2011 4:17 pm

Is a reward night at CP Beijing Wangfujing possible?

I am trying to book the crowne plaza beijing wangfujing in early november this year. I checked and checked and nothing available. Is it normal? Any strategy to book reward stay?

The review for this hotel is not all that great but I think the location cannot be beat. Any recent stay at this hotel and wouldn't mind to share your thought?

also, is there any perk for the platinum member?

Thanks in advance,