Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by woresu
Since when String only have "1 person room award"? No award for two guests at all...
I am also seeing this for the entire schedule, if you have 2 people, then it shows nothing available for any day. Change it to 1 person and it will show avail for 1 SGL BED 1 PERS rooms.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jrm68
I am also seeing this for the entire schedule, if you have 2 people, then it shows nothing available for any day. Change it to 1 person and it will show avail for 1 SGL BED 1 PERS rooms.
You can check this thread further up I think and the topic is mentioned several times. The Strings actually will tell you that the room and bed can sleep two guests. Having said that, you can just book this room type and then email the hotel asking for assignment of a Classic room as the IHG Rewards Program (not AMB / RA) T&Cs clearly state that you are entitled to a Double bed or King bed room for a points redemption booking (can't recall the exact clause, but it is there).

The hotel should assign a Classic room to your booking based on that. A bit of a hassle, but works. I told them multiple times to offer Classic rooms for 2 guests, but they seems stuck on this single bed nonsense.

other option to book IC ANA where your room is certainly for 2, but location must work.

Last edited by demue; May 10, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: ______
The Strings has really gone downhill imo, especially on points or award stays. Small rooms and customer service really is slipping looks like they're just hiring kids as temp interns for most of the staff. The first time I went to the string the staff were a lot more mature and "japanese" in their customer service vibe. (only reason I keep going back is when I transit in Tokyo as the location is great) but if you're expecting anything more than a place to sleep ("luxury" hotel) then look elsewhere otherwise you'd be let down
Old May 11, 2017, 6:16 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Looking at the prices compared to room size for the Strings (30000-50000 JPY for a standard room!?) and even the ANA IC, I've decided that it's very poor value. So when answering the original question of "Which IC in Tokyo" I'm inclined to say: stay elsewhere. The Ritz-Carlton is not much more expensive than that.

HTB.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:48 pm

Redeeming Annual Free Night... Which IC?

I'm thinking about using my Chase CC annual free night cert at one of the IC's in Tokyo this Dec. Trying to decide which property to stay at. I'm familiar with all 4 except ANA IC.

Since I'm a CC holder, I'm Plat. We're 2 adults + 2 kids, and so technically we don't fit into regular guest rooms in Jpn. However, Hilton will usually let it slide by either giving us a king + free rollaway or letting us squeeze into 2 twins. I don't have as much experience dealing with IC in that regard in Jpn. Flying into HND on day of check-in, need to get to Tokyo Sta the day after with wife and 2 kids. Sort of like to get the most value out of my cert, as ridiculous as that may sound.

Here're the pros & cons in my mind for each property:
- Yokohama: love the location & view; not easy to get to Tokyo Sta; sometimes I see this place avail for 15,000yen a night so not getting much value out of cert.
- Strings: easiest to get to Tokyo Sta next day; like the atrium; just an average 4-star.
- Tokyo Bay: nice view; feels more upscale than the above two; poor location with nothing nearby.
- ANA: not familiar with this one (their twin bed is supposed to be only 110cm wide, so I will only consider them if they give us a king + free rollaway).

I guess the biggest factor, which is unknown to me, is what kind of treatment I can expect as a Plat using free night cert. Upgrade? Accommodation for 4th person with a free rollaway? Not expecting free food, of course. I would appreciate any insights/recs.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm thinking about using my Chase CC annual free night cert at one of the IC's in Tokyo this Dec. Trying to decide which property to stay at. I'm familiar with all 4 except ANA IC...

I guess the biggest factor, which is unknown to me, is what kind of treatment I can expect as a Plat using free night cert. Upgrade? Accommodation for 4th person with a free rollaway? Not expecting free food, of course. I would appreciate any insights/recs.
I've had good luck twice now using the free night cert at the ANA IC Tokyo. Both times were a two-category upgrade to a premier (higher floor) room and the room category was changed several days before check-in. I'm happy with the value I get out of using the free night cert here. While the location (Roppongi) isn't my favorite (although it is fairly central) I do appreciate the dining options at the hotel (Pierre Gagnaire, the whisky/cigar bar, and the Champagne bar). In your case, however, I'm not certain the hotel would be willing to provide a free rollaway.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:23 pm

Thanks a lot, FlyerBeek.
After I saw your response, I went to ihg website and looked into ANA IC. They're not avail for my night for Free night redemption... arghhh
Sorry, I guess I really jumped the gun with my question. Should've checked the availability first before posting the question.

Only things I see available are Tokyo Bay (Superior Twin w/ View) and Yokohama (Standard - seems like a run of the house type).
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Thanks a lot, FlyerBeek...

Only things I see available are Tokyo Bay (Superior Twin w/ View) and Yokohama (Standard - seems like a run of the house type).
Absolutely. Happy to help. I really don't think the IC Yokohama is a great use of these certs as I frequently see sub-$200 rates there (and I try to get a little more value than that out of these certificates). Also, unless you're planning on spending your time in Yokohama (and it's a nice city- good ramen and the DeNa BayStars baseball are worthwhile atttactions) it's going to be a haul up to Tokyo (local subway transfer to Yokohama Station plus at least 30+ min train ride to the south part of Tokyo - more if you're going further north to Ueno).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Absolutely. Happy to help. I really don't think the IC Yokohama is a great use of these certs as I frequently see sub-$200 rates there (and I try to get a little more value than that out of these certificates). Also, unless you're planning on spending your time in Yokohama (and it's a nice city- good ramen and the DeNa BayStars baseball are worthwhile atttactions) it's going to be a haul up to Tokyo (local subway transfer to Yokohama Station plus at least 30+ min train ride to the south part of Tokyo - more if you're going further north to Ueno).
Thanks. You're exactly right about IC Yokohama's value. I have seen rates as low as ~15,000yen per night for two there. I do love Yokohama (esp Minatomirai), but it is a trek to Tokyo Station and the run of the house is not a good offer. So I think my choice is basically just IC Tokyo Bay.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've stayed many times at IC Tokyo Bay on points or the free night cert. Without fail, I've always been upgraded to a room on a high floor with a view of Tokyo Bay and Rainbow Bridge.

That said, nothing else really offered but I'm happy with that. I love the view and the fairly sizable rooms for Japan.

It's not a bad location - just a short walk to Hamamasutcho Station, although I just found out they have a shuttle. And, there's a Family Mart (or is Lawson) downstairs in the adjacent building.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've stayed many times at IC Tokyo Bay on points or the free night cert. Without fail, I've always been upgraded to a room on a high floor with a view of Tokyo Bay and Rainbow Bridge.

That said, nothing else really offered but I'm happy with that. I love the view and the fairly sizable rooms for Japan.

It's not a bad location - just a short walk to Hamamasutcho Station, although I just found out they have a shuttle. And, there's a Family Mart (or is Lawson) downstairs in the adjacent building.
Okay, that's good to hear about the upgrade. I didn't realize there's a convenience store right nearby. So that's a big plus.

Now I have to decide if it's worth staying there. Free room but will still cost 10,000yen total for the breakfast for the entire family while burning the free night cert and staying at not-so-convenient location. Another option is 20,000yen inc breakfast for all at a 3-star hotel at a more convenient location which also lets me save the certificate for another time.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:00 am

I always stay at the ANA in Akasaka. Good size rooms, always get upgraded even though I am
on free nights ( hope, I didn't knock it now ). Instead of expensive breakfast at the hotel
restaurant, I walk a couple of feet and enjoy myself at the Doutor Coffee house for less than
500 yen. Very convenient to the subway and close to most Embassies. Someone mentioned
that a lot of expensive restaurants around there. We, however, have found many, many reasonably priced places, including excellent Sushi restaurants. Ginza Line close by, so easy access to Ueno
and transfer to Keisei for NRT access and/or Asakusa where I take the TOBU Line home.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:13 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Now I have to decide if it's worth staying there. Free room but will still cost 10,000yen total for the breakfast for the entire family
Easy solution: get breakfast at the convenience store the night before and enjoy in your room in the morning. Especially if you don't even have time to enjoy the buffet breakfast.

HTB.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by htb
Easy solution: get breakfast at the convenience store the night before and enjoy in your room in the morning. Especially if you don't even have time to enjoy the buffet breakfast.

HTB.
Exactly - in all the times I've stayed there, I've never shelled out for the hotel's breakfast. I usually make a stop at the convenience store a few times a day (on the way out and on the way in to the hotel) to pick up snacks/drinks for the room.

We've made it a bit of an activity to explore and load up on stuff. It's driving me nuts, but I can't remember whether it's Family Mart, Lawson, or 7-Eleven. It's on the upper floor - you go down the escalator but to the level above the lobby and exit. There's an elevated walkway that you can use to go to Takeshiba Station and on the way, you duck back into the building and it's right there. If you go down to the street level, there are some eateries on the corner near Takeshiba Pier and more convenience stores.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: IHG
Do RA's have to pay for access to the pool at IC ANA Tokyo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.