Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hclee01
Just checking if for RA, would ANA Intercontinental grant club access now? The last few times when I stayed there, I wasn't granted.
From recent experience no club for RA at ANA booking a low end room. But RA does get club at the IC's Tokyo Bay and Yokohama.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
But if using the Narita Express from the Strings, you can pick it up at Shinagawa Station. @:-)

http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shi...x_d/index.html

And the Keisei Access Express stops there too:

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...le/#narita1_ae

I figure you meant that...lol
Yes he did.

On the topic of which IC I have stayed at all 3 Tokyo ones plus Yokohama. My most recent stay was at the Strings a few months ago. I would really put it down to what one wants to do in Tokyo.

We were arriving late in the evening at NRT (coming of NH1011 ORD flight that arrives at 8:20PM) and would not have been able to catch the last Limousine bus to go to ANA IIRC. Hence it was NEX to Shinagawa (managed to catch last or second last train at like 21:40ish if I'm not mistaken) and Strings became the preferred choice. Also we had plans to go to Hakone for a day trip and the Shinkansen goes to Odawara from Shinagawa too. Plus for the final straw they sell these delicious soft rolls (not puffs) filled with fresh cream at Shinagaw station so I was sold.

On a prior trip we wanted to be near Roppongi and didn't need to catch trains (took limousine bus) and hence ANA was best. It really depends. Prices may also play a role (Strings is normally more expensive) and I found the room at the Strings a bit small compared to ANA and others like Conrad or so.

Last edited by demue; Oct 14, 2015 at 4:45 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Timelord
I am travelling to Tokyo for the first time with my family en-route to Bali in November. We will be there for two days. Which IC is best for a family? I'm thinking of the Intercontinetal ANA. Also I'd like some advice on easiest connections to Narita. Is the hotel easily accessible by train? or is it better with taxi.. This is our first time to Tokyo.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Timelord.
I would pick the ANA Intercon. It's probably the best location, already in a tourist area and fairly close to Shibuya, the palace and a few other major attractions.

I don't think ill stay at the Tokyo Bay again. The view is nice (not spectacular) but the service is so bad for an IC, and it is a bit out of the way. They also might as well have not bothered with the 'gym'.

Not stayed at the Strings as its too far from Nihonbashi and Roppongi where most of my meetings usually take place.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:09 am

For those who have stayed at the Strings, anyone can confirm whether they still charge a fee for 2nd person on award bookings?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by bradcc
For those who have stayed at the Strings, anyone can confirm whether they still charge a fee for 2nd person on award bookings?
When you did the award bookings and confirmed it online (or via the phone), did you click "2" for number of people? I'd call IHG and have the hotel confirm that there will be no fee; otherwise, make IHG provide a reason. Good Luck!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
When you did the award bookings and confirmed it online (or via the phone), did you click "2" for number of people? I'd call IHG and have the hotel confirm that there will be no fee; otherwise, make IHG provide a reason. Good Luck!
I did choose 2 for number of people. However, the room type says "1 SGL BED 1 PERSON" while the rate details says 2 persons maximum, which is quite confusing. Did an online chat with IHG and they assured me that the rate indicates 2 persons max so I should be safe, although I am still a bit concerned given the strange room type.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Do any of the Tokyo options allow you to upgrade a room from a standard award using additional points?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy
From recent experience no club for RA at ANA booking a low end room. But RA does get club at the IC's Tokyo Bay and Yokohama.
Stayed at IC Tokyo Bay a few weeks ago as an RA (paid stay). Did not receive club access, only an upgrade to the Executive Floor, which you get as a regular Spire member if it's available anyway. YMMV

Complained and they offered club access as a one-time exception, but told them to hold that thought until my next stay. I see they have upgraded my next stay, but I am unsure about future stays.

Not sure what their official policy is. They wouldn't really tell me other than the IHG official policy which is Executive Floor as a minimum.

I prefer the ANA InterContinental, as they've upgraded me to the Jr. Suite a few times and I prefer that vs. a Club Room at Tokyo Bay anyway.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Kaix
Stayed at IC Tokyo Bay a few weeks ago as an RA (paid stay). Did not receive club access, only an upgrade to the Executive Floor, which you get as a regular Spire member if it's available anyway. YMMV.
I am confused about this. Doesn't the executive floor room come with club access? Isn't that the whole point of an executive floor?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:20 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I am confused about this. Doesn't the executive floor room come with club access? Isn't that the whole point of an executive floor?
Club access is viewed separately from the room type by many hotels -- and they are being backed by recent revisions of the Ambassador T&Cs.

Often the Club rooms (not Executive rooms) are basically the same rooms as the standard rooms, sometimes they have upgraded amenities (shampoo, slippers, bathrobe...), sometimes the rooms are actually different (walk-in shower or similar).

I hate it when ICs play the "we don't upgrade to Club access" game. I usually just don't come back after telling them what I think of that game.

HTB.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
+1. I also hate those invented "Executive" rooms. Only benefits are often a piece of laundry or so as internet is given anyways and maybe they throw in local calls in the days of Skype and Whatsapp calls, wow. Like my AMB upgrade at IC BKK gives me some laundry and free local calls vs. a Grand Deluxe. IC Tokyo pushes it even further by not granting RAs Club access, at least BKK gives Club to RAs.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:06 pm

Any idea whether Ana tokyo or the strings will give a room upgrade on free reward night stays for a gold ambassador?

Is it worth mailing the hotel and asking them?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:18 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by daruda
Any idea whether Ana tokyo or the strings will give a room upgrade on free reward night stays for a gold ambassador?

My experience with the Strings as a Platinum Ambassador on a mixed booking (1 night paid, the other night reward) was that they asked me to either pay money to stay in the same room or move rooms. I told them very clearly what I thought about their proposal and they let me stay in the same room both days.

Japanese are very careful to follow rules 100% and seem to forget the bigger picture sometimes... So I'd say: forget about a room upgrade on award stays unless you feel very lucky.

HTB.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by htb
Japanese are very careful to follow rules 100% and seem to forget the bigger picture sometimes... So I'd say: forget about a room upgrade on award stays unless you feel very lucky.
+1 (Except the regular guest)
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by daruda

I just returned from The Strings on a Free Stay and Im a Spire RA. When checking in, the first thing they tell you in your face is "since you are on a free stay, you do NOT get ANY benefits" except a 4pm late check out.

The room I got was really SMALLLLLLLL.

There you have it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.