Ambassador and free weekend night voucher

Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
so the hotel didn’t accept your paper cert? Or they accepted it but removed your new 2020 cert from your account anyway?
That's what happened to me. I was at the Zhuhai IC a couple weeks ago, used my paper cert with a 1/20 date. They took it fine. However IHG then removed my 2020 cert from my online acct and marked my 2019 cert as expired. I'm in the process of trying to get things corrected. I have another IC coming up I need that 2020 cert for.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Simply, that is not how the certificates work. You must be an Ambassador with a valid certificate at the time of the stay.
​​​​​those are the terms and conditions.
​​​​i could book 34 reservations for January 2021 today at the Ambassador weekend rate (even though I only have one valid certificate). The system doesn't "redeem" my certificates now.
Do you have to be an ambassador at the time of stay?

I suppose we always have been at the time, though the expiration dates did not used to align (for example my partner's ambassador membership expires at the end of this month but the paper certificate is labeled 4/2020).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by trouble747
Do you have to be an ambassador at the time of stay?

I suppose we always have been at the time, though the expiration dates did not used to align (for example my partner's ambassador membership expires at the end of this month but the paper certificate is labeled 4/2020).
Right, one of the changes from paper certificates to digital certificates is now the digital expiration aligns with the end of your membership year.
Per the T&C, only Ambassadors can redeem the certificates, although in practice some hotels may have accepted the paper certificate in the past.
("1. Only available to InterContinental Ambassador members. 2. ...Complimentary Weekend Nights are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status")

My understanding is the hotels are now supposed to redeem the electronic certificate, even if you hand them a paper one- hence the situation that lots of folks have where you have to call in to get a night reinstated where you had a paper certificate that expired later than the corresponding electronic one. It appears IC didn't handle the migration from paper to electronic well, but this issue was the same before - a certificate has always been redeemed at the time of stay, not at the time of booking.

The change from paper to electronic was convenient to those of us who had to worry about remembering to bring the paper certificate, but my guess is was at least partially inspired by people who sold their certs, or lied and said they lost them.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:58 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
so the hotel didn’t accept your paper cert? Or they accepted it but removed your new 2020 cert from your account anyway?
As Adam1222 noted, the 2020 BOGO was electronically taken. Just called AMB Services and gave them the reference number from my previous call, and my 2020 electronic BOGO was reinstated immediately. No sense taking chances as with the limited benefits afforded to AMB, it's best to make sure and document everything so you don't lose the BOGO, which makes the renewal (well that and Spire status rolling over too,) worthwhile. Like I said, saved over $400 at the IC SF using it, making my 2 night stay under $100 per night as the first night was $169++..

While I was on the phone with the agent, she also added my Accel bonus from the Q4 promo and the missing 4X promo points, so definitely a productive phone call.
EDIflyer and Adam1222 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
to report back paper cert was accepted without issues.

There is no 2020 cert to disappear because my amb isn’t up until March (I was going to wait for accelerate to see if I got an AMB target but looks like that’s not going to happen)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Hi all,

I am sorry if my question is already answered, if yes, my search-fu needs improvement

Assuming I have AMB BOGO room booked for FRI and SAT and I want to pay club surcharge, is the amount going to be for 1 night or 2 nights?

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by koriobg
Hi all,

I am sorry if my question is already answered, if yes, my search-fu needs improvement

Assuming I have AMB BOGO room booked for FRI and SAT and I want to pay club surcharge, is the amount going to be for 1 night or 2 nights?

Thank you in advance.
2 as you’ve booked a room that doesn’t include Club on either night
barracuda93 and koriobg like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Geoggy
2 as you’ve booked a room that doesn’t include Club on either night
....... which often makes it cheaper to book a Club room to begin with as the second night will then be free as opposed to paying for two nights of access.
EDIflyer and koriobg like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
Originally Posted by JohnM5
....... which often makes it cheaper to book a Club room to begin with as the second night will then be free as opposed to paying for two nights of access.
Agree, unfortunately it is/was not listed as an option.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:54 pm

I recently completed a stay using my voucher at a Kimpton hotel, and they charged me only for the second night-- which happened to be the more expensive night. I'm not wrong that this isnt how its supposed to work, right? Alas, I cant get a response from the hotel via direct email or from completing the billing inquiry form on the IHG site.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Correct it's the second night that is the free one even it it's the most expensive one.

Am surprised they havn't responsed to email. How long ago did you contact them?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Correct it's the second night that is the free one even it it's the most expensive one.

Am surprised they havn't responsed to email. How long ago did you contact them?
8 days to the property, 5 days via the form. I left a phone message last night.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd email the Ambassador Service Center instead of using IHG form on website. Usually better results that way, given 8 days are ample for the property to at least acknowledge the case.

What the Kimpton did is definitely not the way it is supposed to be. Very cheeky. Sure they'll claim unawareness or so. Anyways, they owe you a partial refund.

Last edited by demue; Jun 11, 2021 at 6:49 am
Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by demue
I'd email the Ambassador Service Center instead of using IHG form on website. Usually better results that way, given 8 days are ample for the property to at least acknowledge the case.

What the Kimpton did is definitely not the way it is supposed to be. Very cheeky. Sure they'll claim unawares or so. Anyways, they owe you a partial refund.
Thanks. I emailed them also!
Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by demue

What the Kimpton did is definitely not the way it is supposed to be. Very cheeky. Sure they'll claim unawares or so. Anyways, they owe you a partial refund.
To be fair they probbaly aren't very used to processign weekend voucherss as it's only been since around this time last year when IHG allowed that and given the dearth of travel very few staff will have likely had to process them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.