Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador

Priority Club Point Theft

Old Aug 2, 12, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Recently, I had 300,000 points stolen from my Priority Club account and there is no resolution to the issue. I am a 10 year member and stay approx 150-200 times a year and have never had issues. Now someone hacked my account, changed my e-mail address and used my points to purchase gift cards. Priority Club states it was a legit transaction and basically calling me a liar!
The lack of concern for my situation is not what I expect from a loyalty program. I will not be using this group any longer!
Very disappointing!
Old Aug 2, 12, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Sorry to hear about your experience.
Perhaps you could provide a few more specifics ... and folks here might be able to help?
Also, don't cross-post ... you put the exact same thread in Community Buzz. Cross-posting is frowned upon.
Old Aug 2, 12, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
PC should put the IT capacity in place for members to have alpha numeric passwords instead of 4 digit pins... 10,000 combinations isn't enough in this day and age.
Old Aug 2, 12, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I'm sorry to hear this. Others have posted similar problems in the past.

I suppose IHC needs to change their security policy to send an email to the old email account when there's a change. Of course, it could be an inside job.
Old Aug 2, 12, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience.
Perhaps you could provide a few more specifics ... and folks here might be able to help?
Also, don't cross-post ... you put the exact same thread in Community Buzz. Cross-posting is frowned upon.
I've done an RBP to the one in CommunityBuzz, so it should be locked sometime soon.
Old Aug 2, 12, 2:09 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
If stealing PC points appears to be common because of the 4 digit insecure pin, is there any chance to sue IHG for negligence?

HTB.
Old Aug 2, 12, 2:34 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I have never ordered purchase gift cards.

Are they send or is it an electronic voucher?
In the first case, it may be easy to find who has ordered them.
Old Aug 2, 12, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
I have never ordered purchase gift cards.

Are they send or is it an electronic voucher?
In the first case, it may be easy to find who has ordered them.
Can you report it to the police, after all it is theft (an poss. identity theft)?
Old Aug 2, 12, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Yes known issue. Earn and burn...
Old Aug 2, 12, 5:23 pm

Programs: RA Ambassador
Password words

Actually there is a gap Can anyone through it spying on the PC of any person One day I called one of the telephone service PC and the employee who i know him told me : That there is someone phone pc service and give him my membership number and ask about my account!!
The solution to this problem is easy from my point of view Is :the employee must be ask anyone phone pc service 'Password words' before doing any thing on the account. What do you think?
Old Aug 3, 12, 2:11 am

I always keep my balance around zero making phantom bookings. Maybe this can help....
Old Aug 3, 12, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Around the end of November each year, PC tends to discount gift cards so I have some experience in ordering them.

The very first thing that jumps out at me is the ship to address. If they were mailed to your home billing address, that is going to be a problem. If they were maile to a different address, then yes,this is a law enforcement issue.

In 2004 I believe it was, I ordered a number of cards. One didn't arrive, and PC was kind enough to issue a replacement.

Let us know how this resolves.
Old Aug 3, 12, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ehud View Post
I always keep my balance around zero making phantom bookings. Maybe this can help....
Care to elaborate? Cause if you reduce availability with this method I actually do think that this is.. not very nice..
Old Aug 3, 12, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ProfNapalm View Post
Care to elaborate? Cause if you reduce availability with this method I actually do think that this is.. not very nice..
20 nights 16 month from now in a IC ???
Old Aug 3, 12, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

All,

Thanks for the input. I'll try and answer a few questions.
I believe that the thief bought e-vouchers for e-bay or amazon. They were e-mailed to the address that the thief used when he changed my account. The voucher has to have a tracking number. When redeemed, tracking down to where the products were sent should be possible.
Checking the IP address of the thief when he changed my account should also be possible. To my knowledge, none of these things were done.
One possible improvement could be that you be notified when someone is changing anything to your profile. E-mail, address, phone etc. If that procedure were in place, none of this would have happened.
I am going to file a police report, but what I found out is that the only crime here is hacking my account. These points have no monetary value until redeemed. Thus no theft.

Search this Thread