Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental Malta Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Intercontinental Malta Master Thread [merged]

Any Experience with the Intercontinental Malta?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 3:11 am

I have just returned from one week conference at the Intercontinental Malta. As I suspect you already know, the hotel is brand new and thus in good condition, or at least it was before we arrived.

The hotel is in the middle of a densely packed area with bars and restaurants at every turn. We never used the normal food services in the hotel as everything was laid out conference style for breakfast, lunch, and a couple of the dinners. That said, I hope the coffee is better during normal operations.

The hotel sports nice facilities: an indoor and outdoor pool, reasonable fitness area, a nice bar on the 7th floor, and a small spa on the 5th. Staff were gracious and generally accomodating.

I was placed in a standard room for my first two nights. It had two full beds, a balcony, a work area, and a nice sized television. The bathroom had a bath, separate shower and a large vanity and sink with a collection of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and body lotion. The decor is modern and fresh with no signs of wear as you would expect from a hotel less than a year old. The bed was comfortable and the room size in the normal range.

My firm upgraded me for the remaining three nights to a club-level room as a small recognition of achievement. My club room was basically the same size as a standard room, although I did see a few club rooms that were larger, including a nice two room suite. The view was substantially better, meaning that I could see something other than just the inner courtyard of the hotel. I had a king bed this time. In addition to the standard amenities there was a nice sitting chair, an ethernet connection for internet access, additional bathroom accoutrements, nicer robes, etc. The Club Lounge is nicely large and airy and has about the nicest view you are going to get from this hotel. The balcony would be a lovely place for an early morning breakfast looking out over the Mediteranean.

All in all, an acceptable hotel. Would I stay at this hotel again? Probably not given that there are both SPG and Hiltons in nicer locations (for my tastes) on Malta. But as a conference hotel or someplace nice for the restaurant and bar crowd, I can definitely recommmend it.

Now the real question is why would I ever want to visit Malta again...
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador
IC Malta

I've just bookeb myself and my better half into the IC Malta for 5 nights, I have RA status, although I have no idea how, it was just sent to me?

Can anyone help me, what does this mean at the IC Malta, I notice from the booking it has already been upgraded to a suite, but are there any other perks?

Addtionally if anyone has any advice on what to do, where to go in Malta I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Dan
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
Access to a very good club lounge
Free minibar (drinks)
Maybe an invitation to a cocktail reception
And of course, enjoyment of an excellent hotel with a first class staff (although everyone who stays gets that one!!)

The hotel restaurants are surprisingly good. Countless other restaurants in the area. The hotel is close to the nightlife in St Julians.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Here's a review of my stay (as a Royal Ambassador) in April 2005, and here's some of what I got up to!
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there public transportation between the airport and this hotel? If not, how much is a taxi? Is it easy to get around and experience the island on public transporation from the IC?
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there public transportation between the airport and this hotel? If not, how much is a taxi? Is it easy to get around and experience the island on public transporation from the IC?
I recommend you to arrange airport transfer. Malta has an inadequate public transport system with British buses of the 1950s. Almost all routes go to the main terminal in Valletta.

They have a bus stop near the IC with ordinary and "express" routes to sand beaches. In this case express means they connect Sliema and these beaches directly, without the need to change buses in Valletta. One way express ticket costs about 50 Maltese cents, the ordinary tickets start from 15 cents depending on how far you are going to go.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are taxis or airport transfers expensive?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:09 am

Yes. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476658

See post #3.

PM me with other questions. I would be happy to help.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Both will cost you about Lm 10, but if it's your first visit to Malta don't even think about going to St.Julians by bus. The Valletta terminal is a pure mess.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there free wifi anywhere in this hotel (or on Malta for this matter?)
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:06 pm

Is there free wifi anywhere in this hotel (or on Malta for this matter?)
I know it is not free in the rooms. You can "find" free wifi all over Malta but usually you have to purchase a GoMobile card to be guaranteed wifi. I know here at Portomaso, there are several unsecured default WANs.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
Here's a review of my stay (as a Royal Ambassador) in April 2005, and here's some of what I got up to!
Great site you have made there Steady-EDI. ^

And I see you have a few more ICs there from your RTW. Its a personal, mini version of the 'Post Your RA Experiences' Thread ! But with photos ! ^
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by danonash01
Addtionally if anyone has any advice on what to do, where to go in Malta I would appreciate it greatly.
I did not stay at the Intercontinental property in Malta, but you are more than welcome to peruse my trip report:

France (via Concorde?), Malta and Southern Italy

Although the Malta portion of the trip report is complete, I must remember to finish this incomplete trip report...
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What a splendid read, Steady-EDI .. and on the strength of it I might just come in out of the cold and switch back to BA from LH. I'm already an Interconti-junky..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.