72/24 hours room guarantee Master Thread [merged]

Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
72/24 hours room guarantee Master Thread [merged]

Im going to Frankfurt on april 26-28. Today I called Intercontinental to book a room for the stay. Im a Platinum member in PC and that says "Guaranteed room availability (72 hours in advance)" as one of the member benefits. It does not say that Intercontinental is disincluded in this benefit, or does it somewhere?
However, the reservation clerk said that the hotel is fully booked for these dates and that she couldnt help me at all. What should I do? She could offer me a waiting list but said that it was unlikley that it would go thru

Gustaf
Old Apr 2, 2003, 2:31 pm

I just called Priority Club and a supervisor confirmed with me that any hotel (incuding Intercontinentals) under 6 Continents Hotels would be included in the 72 hour guaranteed availability. I think this will be good just as long as there is no special event at the hotel and only if you are a Platinum member.

Try calling Priority Club and speaking with a rep, if you don't get anywhere with them ask for a supervisor.

Digger
Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:04 pm

My understanding has always been that the Priority Club benefits are only good at Crown Plaza, HI, HIE, etc. not Intercontinental.

To get the 72 hour availability at an Intercontinental Hotel you need to achieve the Executive Card leve in the Six Continents Club, 30 room nights or $15,000 in a membership year.

Even though one card has dual membership, all the benefits don't go to both. The Exective Card level can't be bought for $50 a year like the platinum elite priority club.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:48 pm

No, Priority Club benefits are extended to Intercontinentals, but Six Continents Club benefits are not extended to any other hotel besides Intercontinental.

The 72 hour guaranteed availability is extended for Intercontintals. This was taken from their T&Cs off the website:

"7. When contacting the Priority Club Service Center directly and guaranteeing the reservation with a valid credit card, each Platinum level member will be guaranteed one room for personal use, for reservations made at least 72 hours prior to the date of arrival, except during special events that result in extraordinary room demand, as determined solely by the hotel. The member will not be charged more than the prevailing rate for the accommodation requested, and the member is not entitled to a rate less than the prevailing rate. Once made, Platinum Guarantees may not be dishonored for any reason. If the member does not arrive and has not obtained a cancellation number prior to 6 p.m. (4 p.m. in Europe), the credit card may be billed for one night's room and tax."

There is no mention of a limitation on the brand of hotel. Gustaf should call Priority Club to obtain the benefit if he is platinum.

Digger.

Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Thanx for answering guys! I am a SCC dual member, which means that I should get the Platinum benefits. Last year I had about 25 nights at IC, almost made the next level

I will call back to IC tonight and try again to use the "72 hour" benefit. Could I ask for a extra good rate at for example Holiday Inn if they cant help me with IC? Some kind of compensation would be in place.

Does anyone know about any special event in Frankfurt during april 26-28?

Gustaf
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:28 pm

Make sure you call Priority Club for this benefit, they should probably the best to handle a situation like this.

If for some reason you cannot get into the Intercontinental hotel, they are required to contact another hotel and pay for your first night at that location at the very least.

Digger
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA
Any success with the 72 hours guaranteed availability?

Hi,

I am trying to book at the HI-Jaipur for the end of the month and it lists "No availability". I tried to call the Service Center as specified in the 72-hours availability terms and conditions but she has never heard of it and put me on hold for 10 minutes. Come back saying I would need to call directly the property and added the following conditions :

- Not applicable for 1 night bookings ;
- Not applicable if there is a convention taking place at the hotel

Also not applicable if there is a major event in the city at that time, but that's part of my interpretation of the listed terms and conditions on their website.

I called the hotel directly but it was the evening and the operator had never heard of that policy, I will try back tomorrow.

What do you think? Have you ever been successful with this 72 hours guaranteed availability?

Oh, I even had an agent at reservations (before calling the service center)that told me I had to book within 72 hours of my stay!! But for sure that's his misreading.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:13 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
working for IHG, I believe that the availability is strictly at the discrection of the hotel. If the hotel you want is already booked, they may not have to give you a room. I know when I worked in the hotels, I personally told Priority Club no when they would call asking for a room and we didn't have them.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by mkt
working for IHG, I believe that the availability is strictly at the discrection of the hotel. If the hotel you want is already booked, they may not have to give you a room. I know when I worked in the hotels, I personally told Priority Club no when they would call asking for a room and we didn't have them.
What the "guarantee" is worth then?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
What the "guarantee" is worth then?
Yeah, really
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:39 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
It’s probably some BS marketing ploy…adding another line to a list of membership perks people may or may not get.

The one membership perk I am suppose to get everywhere but lost count of not getting is the elite check-in line.

From experience, *Wood props are good at shifting at least one staffer to handle the elites. Hyatts and Crown Plazas tries to cover elites and general lines. Some Hiltons plain sucks; they tell you just to get in line behind all the general members and everyone else, so much for an elite line.

I'd complain to the PC people and see if you can get some points.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:10 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
This is the text from Priority Club's Terms and Conditions regarding Platinum Guarantee:

Guaranteed Room Availability for Platinum Members: When contacting the Priority Club® Service Center directly and guaranteeing the reservation with a valid credit card, each Platinum level member will be guaranteed one room for personal use, for reservations made at least 72 hours prior to the date of arrival, except during special events that result in extraordinary room demand, as determined solely by the hotel. The member will not be charged more than the prevailing rate for the accommodation requested, and the member is not entitled to a rate less than the prevailing rate. Once made, Platinum Guarantees may not be dishonored for any reason. If the member does not arrive and has not obtained a cancellation number prior to 6 p.m. (4 p.m. in Europe), the credit card may be billed for one night's room and tax. Platinum Guarantees do not apply to Reward Nights.

I only had to invoke this once, when the Hong Kong IC was sold out on one of the weekend nights that I wanted to stay. The hotel's reservation manager initially told me that no rooms was available (PC's web site also indicate no availability), but as soon as I mentioned that I was Platinum and a Royal Ambassador, she was able to confirm a room along with an upgrade to a suite, granted, the room rate was about US$600. The suite we ended up in has the Hong Kong harbour view along an entire wall of the suite for approximately 30-40 feet.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:25 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
I've had to use this feature twice since I've been PLT and it's come through big. Couple of interesting notes I've come across:

1) I've spoken to three separate CSRs who all told me that if a hotel refuses to make a room available (albeit at their full rack rate) and there are no "blackout dates" or convetions on a calendar they had submitted to PC previously, then the hotel is forced to give the PLT 20,000 points! . This is an incentive for the hotel to live up to the promise of the program as it's the hotel who pays for the points. I was just hours away from getting my nice 20k when the hotel suddenly had rooms available for me (and at the GOV rate). Mind you again, I've heard this from 3 different CSRs!

2) I've been able to make it for 1 night bookings twice now with no problem. I've also been able to make it and then cancel it with no ill effects.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I just called to use this at the CP-Union Station Indianapolis and while it took about 10 minutes, they did offer me a fairly reasonable rate of $189.

Worthy of note was that it was indeed a one night reservation.

So, next question, do they try and call people to try and cancel their room or just play the game that one might cancel? If they don't, I suppose someone is really pissed off when they arrive and don't have a room. I wonder if they proactively try to find another room at another hotel that the Plat member has essentially paid for?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: UA
What the Service center was telling me is when they do honor the guarantee, they will find a room at another hotel for the OTHER guest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.