Reward Nights are Changing from 18 January 2012

Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Happy
This devaluation reminds me of the BA devaluation (another UK company) that they deliberately were very vague to say about 97% of the routes are not affected - when the 97% even referred to only LHR based, was still too generous a statement.
Oh please don't start this again. When BA says that 97% of routes would be no more expensive, it was clear they meant BA OPERATED routes. Anyone with a half a brain would have understood that. Why anyone expected that 97% of flights between 'random OneWorld-served airport A' and 'random OneWorld-served airport B' (even assuming a computer exists that could do this calculation) would be the same escapes me!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by midnight
Satrori Anyone know of a list of hotels in their current Priority Club tiers?
__________________________________________________ _________

Here is a list of current redemption values, but I cannot confirm how accurate it is.

http://www.chonetsao.co.uk/iccensor.html
Very intersting stats. If it is correct, there are about 1000 25K HI/HIX around the world. If 20% of total IHG hotels will go down - it means that about 90% of those 25K will become 20K. (probably a couple of 15K will be downgraded to 10K)
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
Point Breaks

Are they staying, any news?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by satori
I suggest crowdsourcing a list before January 18.

How will we know what changes occurred in Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express when the new tiers appear on Jan 18?
Good idea Ric. Here's my contribution. 13 PC branded hotels with 100k of Montreal (YUL) (I'll try to do the other major metropolitan areas in Quebec as well)

Intercontinental
Montreal 40,000

Crowne Plaza
Montreal Airport 5,000

Holiday Inn
Montreal Airport 15,000
Laval - Montreal 15,000
Montreal-Midtown 25,000
Montreal-Longueuil 25,000
Pointe Claire - Montreal Airport 5,000

Holiday Inn Express
St. Jean sur Richilieu 15,000

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Montreal Airport 15,000
Montreal Centre Ville - Downtown 25,000
Saint Hyacinthe 15,000

Holiday Inn Select
Montreal Centre Ville - Downtown 25,000

Candlewood Suites
Montreal Centre Ville - Downtown 15,000
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Oh please don't start this again. When BA says that 97% of routes would be no more expensive, it was clear they meant BA OPERATED routes. Anyone with a half a brain would have understood that. Why anyone expected that 97% of flights between 'random OneWorld-served airport A' and 'random OneWorld-served airport B' (even assuming a computer exists that could do this calculation) would be the same escapes me!
And, as discussed on the BA forum, even when one understands it as BA OPERATED routes only, it was still a factually inaccurate and misleading statement to make. But this is not the place to discuss this.

Coming back on topic, I feel pretty much like ElmhurstNick on this. IHG redemptions will still remain relatively attractive after this. Not welcome but not the end of the world as we know it either.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
I'm hoping this devaluation may be the prelude to a decent points/free nights offer in the coming months.. Fingers crossed
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
You'd hope that management might focus those well-paid grey cells on sorting out the fiasco that is the grotesque price-matching scheme, or kick dumps like the San Juan IC into shape.

But that would be in another world ...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by midnight
Satrori Anyone know of a list of hotels in their current Priority Club tiers?
__________________________________________________ _________

Here is a list of current redemption values, but I cannot confirm how accurate it is.

http://www.chonetsao.co.uk/iccensor.html

I see this list was updated by chongcao in the past couple of months so I guess this serves as the best resource I have seen on the current tier levels.

international update August 17, 2011.
USA update November 9, 2011.

This has been the web source I have used for the past two years when looking for a list of IHG hotels in different tiers.

The following data is based on data from chongcao’s census of IHG hotels at different Priority Club reward tiers.

2011 reward tier data for Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels prior to January 18, 2012 changes.

InterContinental Hotels (169 hotels)
•30,000 points = 99 hotels
•40,000 points = 70 hotels

USA – Holiday Inn (671 hotels)
•10,000 points = 27 (4.0%)
•15,000 points = 372 (55.4%)
•25,000 points = 272 (40.5%)

USA – Holiday Inn Express (1,731 hotels)
•10,000 points = 212 (12.2%)
•15,000 points = 1,107 (64.0%)
•25,000 points = 412 (23.8%)

International – Holiday Inn (549 hotels)
•10,000 points = 35 (6.4%)
•15,000 points = 309 (56.3%)
•25,000 points = 205 (37.3%)

International - Holiday Inn Express (367 hotels)
•10,000 points = 57 (15.5%)
•15,000 points = 216 (58.9%)
•25,000 points = 94 (25.6%)

Last edited by satori; Jan 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by satori
I see this list was updated by Cao Chong in the past couple of months so I guess this serves as the best resource I have seen on the current tier levels.

international update August 17, 2011.
USA update November 9, 2011.

This has been the web source I have used for the past two years when looking for a list of IHG hotels in different tiers.
Here is the recent thread that chongcao started when he did the recent updates:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...11-2012-a.html
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:41 pm

So, just to confirm I didn't miss anything. We don't know which hotels are affected yet by the new redemption rates, right? We don't know which IC's are going to 50K, which CP's are going to 35K, which ones are going down to 20K, right? We won't know this until Jan 18th?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
So, just to confirm I didn't miss anything. We don't know which hotels are affected yet by the new redemption rates, right? We don't know which IC's are going to 50K, which CP's are going to 35K, which ones are going down to 20K, right? We won't know this until Jan 18th?
Yes x 5
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Actually, BA further cemented the confusion in an FT thread about the changes, where the BAEC rep stated in terms along the lines of "97% of our reward prices" - much more broad than "our routes". Moreover, the rep refused to answer direct questions to clarify. I assumed the worst (as always) but it was shady marketing double speak to be sure.

Anyway back to PC, I had been a fan due to ease of points collection and reasonable and clear redemption rates. This moves PC down a notch towards Hilton, etc. Maybe Hilton will do a new Luckiest Loser against PC this time
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
These IHG executives are the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

Hopefully Hilton will hit back at these suckers.

Actually--I guess it is those who remain loyal to IHG who are "The Biggest Suckers".....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody believes it would be the case, especially the BA rep repeatedly dodged the questions asking for clarification. Hence why many people rush to burn their BA miles before Nov 16 if what they want to do are long haul flights. It is a very poor marketing tactic yet here we are seeing a deja vu from IHG.

Let's bring it one step further - how about BA deliberately NOT to disclose any more information about all the markets it code-shares? There is literally zero information on how the distance is calculated, i.e. the distance band (zone) info was not revealed before Nov 16. Same practice here, IHG does not reveal hotel tiers or categories - all its competitors have the hotel categories readily available, neatly grouped by countries under each category, for anyone to see. Why can't IHG do this?

Anyone has half a brain KNOWS with the distance-based calculation, the long haul would be 20 - 30% more expensive. But I bet most still not anticipate the ugliest part - each segment would cost you, and not by the ACTUAL miles added together, but use the distance band that segment falls into - so you better be lucky enough to have only direct flight, else you would pay dearly for each connection you must make.

On the other hand, out of BA's devaluation one now has a super short haul program - but I doubt we could find similar outcome from the PC devaluation.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 4, 2012 at 1:15 am
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ehud
Next time you talk to him (VP at Priority Club) ask if they're ever going to implement real benefits for their Platinum members.
LOL! But true!

Does anyone have a linky to the OLD reward chart? I thought HIX used to have a 10K floor?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.