Old Jul 8, 13, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Dec 4, 11, 5:28 pm
  #976  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DCA
Posts: 813
Originally Posted by MKB
I really don't understand why you have to be so rude and cannot explain yourself in a civil manner.

All you had to say was that IHG are interpreting the expression "type of accommodation" to refer to the combination of room type plus any package elements rather than just room type. This would have been useful information because it's certainly not how I'm sure most people would interpret it, and it's not included in IHG's definitions.

You could have explained that at the outset rather than being so antagonistic.
I told you you were wrong and that you should check this thread because the topic had been discussed before. I myself and others have explained the breakfast topic before. Rather than check, you chose to smugly defend your mistaken reading of the t&c with more incorrect assertions and great authority.

Samwkchan also explained to you that you were mistaken and still you argued.

Anyway, you're welcome.
Montacute is offline  
Old Dec 4, 11, 11:18 pm
  #977  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Wink

Originally Posted by Montacute
In the nicest possible way, you couldn't be more wrong, as even a cursory read of this thread will show. How do you think people are getting suites under the BRG? Do you really think the suite was the cheapest rate on ihg? You have to compare the rates for the same type of room, with the same features. If you are comparing a room with breakfast, then book the cheapest ihg room with breakfast. Room rates without breakfast would be irrelevant, even if they are cheaper.

I am baffled why this issue keeps coming up.
I agree with you montacute.
bunindoven00 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 3:45 am
  #978  
MKB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Warwickshire, England
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by Montacute
I told you you were wrong and that you should check this thread because the topic had been discussed before. I myself and others have explained the breakfast topic before. Rather than check, you chose to smugly defend your mistaken reading of the t&c with more incorrect assertions and great authority.

Samwkchan also explained to you that you were mistaken and still you argued.
Rather than say "You need to be aware that IHG apply a rather perverse interpretation to the phrase 'type of accommodation' which is not what you would expect it to be.", you told me to read a thread with nearly 1000 postings.

You inferred that what I'd said meant that people couldn't get suites, which was untrue and did nothing to help me understand IHG's interpretation of their own rules. Rather than being helpful, you've been needlessly inflammatory, whereas I've tried consistently to be polite and not rise to your bait.

You still insist I am misinterpreting a rule, whereas the truth is that I am reading "accommodation type" to mean "room type", as many people would. It would not have occurred to me to think it could possibly mean anything else. It's a perfectly reasonable interpretation and is not "wrong" or "100% in error", just because IHG have decided it means something different to them.
From what you say, it is "100% in error" to think my interpretation will be accepted by IHG, which is helpful to know, but is not what you said.

I'm genuinely sorry if you find the way I express myself "smug" and exuding "great authority". It is not my intention to come across that way at all.
MKB is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 7:33 am
  #979  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Posts: 50,423
Originally Posted by Montacute
I am not giving you an opinion. I am giving you fact. I know this because I have had three successful breakfast BRG claims, even though the rate without breakfast was cheaper. I have explained this before upthread, as I told you. Why don't you try reading the thread?? You have become incredibly exasperating!

The key in the t&c is "FOR THE TYPE OF ACCOMMODATIONS SOUGHT".

A room WITH BREAKFAST is a DIFFERENT TYPE of accommodation than a room WITHOUT BREAKFAST. Get it? Now please stop misleading others reading this thread with your 100% wrong reading of the rules.
I"ve had BRG claims denied because I didn't book the advance purchase rate, but rather, opted for the rate with breakfast. So, like much else with IHG, YMMV.
kipper is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 9:27 am
  #980  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by MKB
-snip-
Do you still have a denied BRG and a nonrefundable reservation booked?
CokeandTaco is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 9:50 am
  #981  
MKB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Warwickshire, England
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Do you still have a denied BRG and a nonrefundable reservation booked?
Yes, but they are now citing the fact that the third-party booking will not pass the guest names to the hotel instantly. The third-party website has confirmed to me that I will get an instant confirmation with them, as they will confirm inventory from their service provider. But the details of the reservation will not be passed from the service provider to the hotel for up to 3 days.
MKB is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 10:29 am
  #982  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by MKB
Yes, but they are now citing the fact that the third-party booking will not pass the guest names to the hotel instantly. The third-party website has confirmed to me that I will get an instant confirmation with them, as they will confirm inventory from their service provider. But the details of the reservation will not be passed from the service provider to the hotel for up to 3 days.
Unfortunately, it seems like you need to continue searching for another site that could lead to a successful BRG. If you are willing....you could post the hotel/date/room type/rate type (which I believe is - double non-smoking AP rate). If you want to be discreet with this information you could use PMing to communicate. Maybe others can help find a site that might work.
CokeandTaco is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 11:17 am
  #983  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Originally Posted by MKB
Yes, but they are now citing the fact that the third-party booking will not pass the guest names to the hotel instantly. The third-party website has confirmed to me that I will get an instant confirmation with them, as they will confirm inventory from their service provider. But the details of the reservation will not be passed from the service provider to the hotel for up to 3 days.
I don't believe that they can deny a claim with such a reason. Instant confirmation is instant confirmation. I don't care how the procedures and mechanism work out from the hotel side. What I know is that the booking is instantly confirmed. Period.

Unless they have strong evidence that the instant confirmation is fake, which means the third-party website gives false information, they should honor the claim.

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Unfortunately, it seems like you need to continue searching for another site that could lead to a successful BRG. If you are willing....you could post the hotel/date/room type/rate type (which I believe is - double non-smoking AP rate). If you want to be discreet with this information you could use PMing to communicate. Maybe others can help find a site that might work.
In fact, this question has been raised more than 24 hours ago, so any current lower rate on third-party websites doesn't help as the rate is non-refundable. The only way for the claim to be honored is to persuade BRG team that the confirmation is instant on the third-party website.
samwkchan is offline  
Old Dec 5, 11, 7:50 pm
  #984  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 114
No show on a free night

If i booked a non-refundable room and successfully got it free as BRG, would i be charged for the night (at the original rate) if i dont show? Can i call and cancel it?

Our plans changed and we wont be able to use the free night...
zux85 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 12:25 am
  #985  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by htb
Why are they even going through the trouble of considering taxes separately? Why not just calculate the total amount paid in either case plus the fees to be paid at the hotel?

If IHG charges $100 + 10% service fee + 5% tax and the third party website $110 all-in, why go through the motion to calculate how much tax is in the $110? It shouldn't even matter, because the customer pays less and that's what a BRG should be about.

HTB.
I had a claim before, what they did was they deducted the taxes on the 3rd party site and added the hotel tax on ihg site. So they are following the hotel tax, and as I have understood every website provides different tax information. Like on my recent claims, 3rd party offers higher rate but less tax, both claims are tax inclusive. so in the end, rates are the same in total. So again, tax is not included in US hotel, most hotels in UK includes taxes.
bunindoven00 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 12:28 am
  #986  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by zux85
If i booked a non-refundable room and successfully got it free as BRG, would i be charged for the night (at the original rate) if i dont show? Can i call and cancel it?

Our plans changed and we wont be able to use the free night...
As long as the reservation is cancellable, its your choice. You may cancel it within the time frame. But you will be awarded of a free night once and it is not transferrable.

Free Night Restrictions. In the event of a valid claim, the award of a free night is limited to one free night per the name on the reservation for any thirty day period between reservation check-in dates. In addition, in the event of a valid claim, reservations are non-transferable after the claim is found to be valid, and the name on the reservation must remain the same as when the claim is verified. Valid government issued ID is required upon check-in that matches the name found on the reservation. Employees of any IHG company or employees at any IHG hotel are not eligible for the Best Price Guarantee.
bunindoven00 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 12:34 am
  #987  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by bunindoven00
I had a claim before, what they did was they deducted the taxes on the 3rd party site and added the hotel tax on ihg site. So they are following the hotel tax, and as I have understood every website provides different tax information. Like on my recent claims, 3rd party offers higher rate but less tax, both claims are tax inclusive. so in the end, rates are the same in total. So again, tax is not included in US hotel, most hotels in UK includes taxes.
and another thing, they are only matching the rates not the taxes. Any taxes, tariffs or fees imposed by a governmental authority (e.g., federal, state or local) will not be considered as part of the Best Price Guarantee claimOnly if it is stated on both website
bunindoven00 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 12:37 am
  #988  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by zux85
If i booked a non-refundable room and successfully got it free as BRG, would i be charged for the night (at the original rate) if i dont show? Can i call and cancel it?

Our plans changed and we wont be able to use the free night...
yes, for Non refundable rate, you will be charge of the reservation. This is a non cancelable rate/prepaid rate. Why bother cancelling it, you have already been awarded of a free night. Good for you, some take chances just to get a free stay at any hotel.
bunindoven00 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 3:39 am
  #989  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tyrone,EU
Programs: Avios Hunter
Posts: 2,759
Originally Posted by zux85
If i booked a non-refundable room and successfully got it free as BRG, would i be charged for the night (at the original rate) if i dont show? Can i call and cancel it?

Our plans changed and we wont be able to use the free night...
I have two experiences of BRG's on prepaid rates.

On the first one, it took the hotel a number of days to acknowledge the BRG. The prepayment of course had been taken by the hotel. When they achnowledged the BRG, they refunded the credit card (this is many days before I actually checked it). I assume that I would have not been re-charged if I had not shown, as the rate on the IHG website said "comp"

On the second one, the hotel quickly acknowledged the BRG, and so the pre-payment was never taken. (my stay in this hotel is not until Feb).

As an aside it seems to me (certainly for the 2 bookings above), that when I do a prepaid booking on IHG website, the cc details are passed to the actual hotel and it is up to them to process the prepayment, and thus there is a few days delay between doing the booking and the payment being taken.
tangey is offline  
Old Dec 6, 11, 8:47 am
  #990  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
It's my first time that the hotel refuses to change the rate. The agent in BRG team told me they will reimburse after I pay at the hotel.

How long should it take for the reimbursement check to arrive?
samwkchan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.