Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:03 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That seems a somewhat intemperate comment.

Clearly the BRG team are trained to police the rules and filters that IHG has put in place, so they aren't going to make everybody happy.

All but one of the handful of claims I have made went through: the one that didn't caused a few moments of frustration, but I wouldn't take it out on the agents.
Clearly some of the BRG team seem to be making up rules on the go and alert third party sites to take down the rate just before denying a claim. They also come up with claims that their guarantee doesn't apply if a cheaper rate is also available on their (Japanese only) other website, and there is no amount of logic argument that will make them change their mind.

So either some of them are morons, criminals, or both, or the upper management actually instructed them to act this way -- which would be even worse.

HTB.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by htb
So either some of them are morons, criminals, or both, or the upper management actually instructed them to act this way -- which would be even worse.

HTB.
Looking forward to seeing your documented evidence for these preposterous accusations. If you're that bitter and twisted, why bother with IHG at all?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Although the terms "morons" and "criminals" are somewhat over the top, there is a great deal of evidence to suggest that the IHG BRG system is much closer to that end of the spectrum than the "fair, professional, and honest" side of the ledger.

The agents and management at the BRG office are decidedly NOT morons. It takes a certain degree of intelligence to find so many creative ways to deny claims, and it takes a certain degree of personal organization skills to juggle so many claims while waiting for the instant the OTA price rises to match IHG before replying and denying the claim. A successful system of deception, underhandedness, and fraud takes more than a group of morons to manage.

Whether the actions of the BRG office are criminal is debatable. They are a component of IHG, were created by IHG, are managed and overseen by IHG, and are very visibly advertised by IHG. If there is any criminal, or at least civil culpability, it is with IHG itself.

The management and agents are IHG employees and are carrying out their jobs the way IHG sees fit. It is obvious that IHG wants to be able to advertise "we have the lowest rate, and we will give you a night for free if we don't" while very rarely actually rewarding this free night.

The draconian terms and conditions (every single term exactly the same) should be enough; and this is spelled out in the terms and conditions. This eliminates most claims; you can often find cheaper rates somewhere else, but because of minor differences, you will not be able to take up IHG on its guarantee. Is this deceptive? Maybe a little.. but not unusual in the in the international business market. Fine print is everywhere in our world. For example, I bought a new car recently, and the warranty is much more limited than I was led to believe after reading the fine print.

Where I believe IHG should be ashamed of themselves is their propensity to wait 1, 2, 3, or more days before assessing a claim. This often seems to magically be delayed until right after the OTA price is put in line. This IS deceptive and abusive. All of those different requirements are met.. but due to timing, claims are denied. Another is the BRG offices propensity to completely lose submissions and claim they never received them. This basically makes the IHG BRG program fraudulent, deceptive, worthless.

It is for this reason that I no longer use IHG for my business travel. Choice Hotels may not be as uniform in quality, but they have always been honest with me with their BRG program. I choose to spend my money, and my company's money, with an honest hotel chain.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:57 pm

Submitted Friday and got it approved today. Took approx. 40 hours.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lerwick
Are you seriously saying that the poor guys working in that department are morons and criminals? ...
Yep, here is someone else who thinks EXACTLY that ... those IHG folks in Ng Pilipinas are anything but hardworking saints
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
I have put in a claim. The cancellation date is off By 48 Hours compard to the IHG rate. Bit the flexible rate on the OTA is cheaper than IHG's Advance Purchase rate.
What are the odds it will be approved ??

Also has anyone phoned the Hotel Directly and they match the rate ?? Has anyone experieced this ??
Thanks in Advance
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by mgn2000
I have put in a claim. The cancellation date is off By 48 Hours compard to the IHG rate. Bit the flexible rate on the OTA is cheaper than IHG's Advance Purchase rate.
What are the odds it will be approved ??

Also has anyone phoned the Hotel Directly and they match the rate ?? Has anyone experieced this ??
Thanks in Advance
From my experience there's about 99% chance your claim would be refused.
Even if you're talking about a stay which is far in the future.

About contacting a hotel directly,

I can't recall any IHG hotel, but I've done that a few times with hotels from other chains - and the success rate was pretty surprising. If it's a well-known and respectable OTA and if you're simply asking to match the lower rate and get nothing extra - a hotel might go for it.

Example: earlier this month I found a very attractive rate on Booking.com for a Radisson Blu hotel. This rate, with it's specific cancellation policy, was not showing up on the hotel website. So there was not chance of a BRG in this case. And so I placed the reservation on Booking.com (flexible rate) and then contacted the hotel with the request for a match, under the logic that this reservation was already approved and it's in the system - but I rather pay the hotel directly for it (and get the status credit and points). They agreed straight away, and of course gave me the same cancellation policy as I found on the OTA. ^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Has anyone else noticed that the names of the people who respond to these claims seem to only number like a dozen or so (considering I've filed many a claim). Maybe these long response times are because there are like thousands of claims ... or maybe its just me lol
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:46 pm

I submitted a brg claim this morning because Expedia had a better rate and better terms. I checked back this afternoon and of course now Expedia has raised their rate so I know the claim will be rejected. I did notice that Travelocity still has a lower rate and better terms, so I submitted another brg. Is this okay? I'm assuming that they will just go in order and reject the first one and then view the second one.

It's really frustrating that the website says 24 hours when in reality it seems to be 40+. and by then the claim being made can be obsolete.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:32 pm

Never mind. Looks like the rate was raised on both now. Blah how I wish I could just call it in!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:38 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I just came back from a weekend stay at the CP Republique, in Paris France.

The BRG took almost 48H to clear... Here is the reply I got on October 12 with a reservation and claim made on October 10 for a stay from October 24-26:

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for contacting our office regarding the Best Price Guarantee in reference to rates at Crowne Plaza Paris - Republique. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this matter.

Please be advised that we were not able to pull the 290.00 EURO you are claiming from www.amoma.com upon verification. What we have verified was 298.00 EURO (149.00 EURO per night).

We contacted the hotel and requested your reservation be adjusted to complimentary night stay. We appreciate your patience and will contact you via email when this has been confirmed. The Advance Saver Rate requires prepayment. The charge takes place between the time of booking and the arrival date. Please be reminded that the credit card on file should be approved when the hotel attempts to make the charge. In the event of a failure transaction or declined credit card, the free night and rate adjustment will no longer be honored pursuant to the Best Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions.

One free night will be given to the guest per stay and for connecting reservations made by the guest or his household members at IHG hotels within 50 miles of each other. The reservation should remain unchanged once the claim qualified. Primary guest is required to present a valid government ID upon arrival.

We look forward to accommodating your upcoming reservation. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us via e-mail at [email protected].

Best Regards,

XYZ
Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk
IHG

Note that the IHG rate was EUR 306 (for both nights) so the rate they pulled was still lower. So I was a happy camper as this is my very first BRG claim, I'm a SPG guy usually.

Anyway, I waited a week and still no news from the CP regarding my rate so I emailed BRG again on October 21st.

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your email.

We are pleased to confirm the adjustment of your reservation ###### to a free first night and the second night matched to the lower verified rate of EUR 149.00. It is possible that when checking your reservation online you may no longer be able to view it or it may not show the adjusted rate which is caused by a limitation in the system; we apologize if this would cause you any confusion but rest assured that the hotel has contacted us to confirm that this adjustment has been made.

Please be advised that since the reservation has been booked under an advance purchase rate it is possible that the hotel has already collected the deposit for this reservation. For more assistance concerning charges made to your credit card please contact the hotel directly as our department is unable to access the local billing system of the hotel. Please be informed that the Free Night is subject to the hotel’s regular cancellation policy of the rate you have originally booked as described below.

A deposit for the entire stay is due at time of booking. Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply.

As a reminder please note the following:

1. The reservation is non-transferable and the name/s on the reservation must remain the same. This claim has been deemed valid for one (1) adult based on the reservation submitted to us. Please be advised that if the occupancy of the room exceeds the prescribed number the free night shall be forfeited.
2. Changes to the reservation such as number of occupants, length of stay, dates of stay, type of room and such are not allowed and would mean the forfeiture of your free night.
3. A valid government issued ID is required upon check-in that matches the name found on the reservation for the free night to be honored. Once a valid claim has been made and approved by IHG for a specific date, no further claims by the same person or anyone in the same household will be accepted for the same date.
4. If an individual or members of the same household make multiple claims for two or more nights in the same seven (7) day period at the same IHG hotel or at different IHG hotels within fifty (50) miles of each other, the claims will be treated as, and limited to, one claim for one stay, even if booked through more than one reservation, and only the Best Price Guarantee claim for the first night will be honored.
5. Cancellation of the reservation shall mean the forfeiture of the free night and any applicable rate adjustment

IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions. Resale of rooms eligible for the Best Price Guarantee is strictly prohibited. In the event IHG believes that a room eligible for the Best Price Guarantee has been resold, or the Best Price Guarantee is otherwise being intentionally abused or manipulated to circumvent its intent, we reserve the right to cancel the previously-awarded free room night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation, and to reject future Best Price Guarantee claims from any persons who participated in such actions.

We look forward to accommodating your upcoming reservation and if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

XYZ
Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk
IHG
Great! A few hours later, I did see my reservation on IHG stating a rate of 0.01EUR and "House Comp" but no longer offers any other details.

At check-in, the receptionist was a bit surprised when she confirmed my rate... she paused then said "so your first night is free and your second night will be 149EUR". I asked if the room was already charged (since it was an AP rate) and she said yes, as the folio showed "Deposit Transfer" for 306 EUR.

Stayed went well, happy with everything.

At check-out, everything turns sour.

The reception lady had a problem when she saw my bill. She started with a "oh we owe you money?" and I said "yes, my first night is supposed to be free".
She excused herself and came back with what I assume was the front desk supervisor/manager or the Manager on Duty. Who then coldly said:

Him: I'm sorry but since it's a pre-paid rate, we can't refund anything to you
Me: I know it's a prepaid rate but I have a BRG claim successfully cleared and it says that the hotel will reimburse me the 1st night stay.
Him: No, we can't do that, it's prepaid sir.
Me: It's a BRG claim... I have an email if you want to see
Him: Oh, sorry I didn't understand it was a BRG, so yeah you will get the first night back but it's prepaid and we can't do anything from here, you will have to contact the "centrale de paiements".
Me: ...
Him: thank you and have a nice day. (walks away and leave me with the receptionist who looked a bit lost)

So I asked her for a copy of my bill and I did see the -149EUR credit on my behalf. I ask her if she can produce the credit card slip and of course, she can't.
Getting a bit pissed and I'm in a hurry as I have a TGV to catch so I left...

I will write an email to BRG but I'm pretty sure it will be useless as the email already stated clearly
"Please be advised that since the reservation has been booked under an advance purchase rate it is possible that the hotel has already collected the deposit for this reservation. For more assistance concerning charges made to your credit card please contact the hotel directly as our department is unable to access the local billing system of the hotel. Please be informed that the Free Night is subject to the hotel’s regular cancellation policy of the rate you have originally booked as described below."

Yes, IHG's BRG is great because it comps the 1st night but it's such a horrendous experience and process... I prefer SPG's system, even if you "only" get 2000pts or 10% off their rate but at least, it works and it's quick.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Yes, IHG's BRG is great because it comps the 1st night but it's such a horrendous experience and process... I prefer SPG's system, even if you "only" get 2000pts or 10% off their rate but at least, it works and it's quick.
Hotel reception desks have their stars and their clowns. You seem to have met a clown.

In similar circumstances my final bill has been adjusted and I've received either a credit card payment, or - in one case - cash. Even in France . HI at CDG comped a single night stay with good grace, upgrading me and immediately crediting my card with the deposit I'd paid.

Admittedly I've only had a handful of claims, but i'm pretty sure you will receive a refund after the hotel's back-room accounting people get involved.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:44 am

Has anybody done a BRG for the properties in Vegas? Wondering if they comp the room or is a check reimbursement the norm? I've had one approved at the Venetian/Palazzo, but no confirmation of zero'ing out the rate yet.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by enelym1978
I just came back from a weekend stay at the CP Republique, in Paris France.

... Actually I prefer it this way, unless something has changed since the last time I did a BRG (...maybe a year ago?), they usually cut you a check if this happens and you get the points (and bonus cashback too, if you do that).

Anyway, I would call and complain, and threaten to file a chargeback. I've stayed at that CP on BRG an didn't have the same difficulties.. of course it was not prepaid, and I stayed only one night...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Has anybody done a BRG for the properties in Vegas? Wondering if they comp the room or is a check reimbursement the norm? I've had one approved at the Venetian/Palazzo, but no confirmation of zero'ing out the rate yet.
I have a successful BRG from several months ago, for a stay in 2 weeks time. It was a pre-paid rate. The rate type was changed on the mobile website to read "LMS Balancing RC N". The rate is now showing about $100 less than I paid.

I'm guessing LMS is booking system they use (lodging management system ?).

I contacted the palazzo directly last night to get my various reservations amalgamated into 1 booking (5 nights, 4 bookings), and reminded them that I expect a credit on the account against my BRG booking.

No response yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.