Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old May 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

I need some help for my first BRG. HI Grand Canyon Village, sells for $200+ a night. The hotel seems to be almost sold out as no US OTA is selling a room. I only found two cheaper rates, unfortunately they don't bill in $. Any help is appreciated, PM's are also welcome !
Old May 19, 2014, 5:24 pm

Just had a successful claim after waiting 48 hours and sending a follow-up email. Rate adjustments seem to be taking a very long time as well.

At least the responses I've ultimately received are courteous and fair.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Hoping for some assistance for my first IHG BRG.

IHG website has 1 Queen Room, fully refundable, no deposit required for high price

OTA has 1 Double Room, fully refundable, payment required up front for lower price (10% less).

I recognise the advantage is that the IHG price is refundable, so I can book it and then try and claim the BRG (and cancel it if the claim is rejected).

I don't think the room discrepancy is an issue as the property only has Queen Rooms (i.e. Double and Queen are the same thing).

My concern is the deposit vs upfront payment required. Will the claim be rejected if the OTA requires upfront payment yet the IHG requires no deposit?

Thanks
Old May 20, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by SirAlfonso
It is a risk, as on the 'free night' confirmation email they do specify the same card used to reserve the room, should be the one used for payment on check out.
This is absolutely FALSE. Nowhere, does it mention this. All it states is that the credit card used to reserve the room must be in good standing if the hotel should try to run a preauthorization charge on it.

Upon check out, ANY form of payment can be used.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by smit0847
Hoping for some assistance for my first IHG BRG.

IHG website has 1 Queen Room, fully refundable, no deposit required for high price

OTA has 1 Double Room, fully refundable, payment required up front for lower price (10% less).

I recognise the advantage is that the IHG price is refundable, so I can book it and then try and claim the BRG (and cancel it if the claim is rejected).

I don't think the room discrepancy is an issue as the property only has Queen Rooms (i.e. Double and Queen are the same thing).

My concern is the deposit vs upfront payment required. Will the claim be rejected if the OTA requires upfront payment yet the IHG requires no deposit?

Thanks
Technically yes its invalid, but its worth a try and personally I think it will work.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Technically yes its invalid, but its worth a try and personally I think it will work.
I'm assuming there is no non-refundable cheaper IHG rate.

Are you finding regular acceptance of BRG claims where the IHG rate is refundable, but 3rd party isn't ?
Old May 20, 2014, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by tangey

Are you finding regular acceptance of BRG claims where the IHG rate is refundable, but 3rd party isn't ?
I comparing flex ihg vs OTA flex then you dont need to booked cheapest rate - advance rate. If the flex rate for IHG is only whats left i.e 7 days then thats a bonus and should help qualify, providing the rest of the criteria lines up
Old May 20, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does not matter as long as you compare like for like (viz. refundable vs refundable or non-refundable vs non-refundable) or the IHG conditions are more restrictive than the OTA's.

There is always the possibility of getting lucky if the agent does not pay enough attention but, ime, these claims are routinely rejected.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by NickB
Does not matter as long as you compare like for like (viz. refundable vs refundable or non-refundable vs non-refundable) or the IHG conditions are more restrictive than the OTA's.
Yes of course.

I mis-read the question up above, I was assuming he was comparing Best flex V non-refundable, whereas he is comparing best flex V's an immediate payment refundable rate from an OTA.

OP needs to also ensure the cancellation cut-off times are the same.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Quote:

There is always the possibility of getting lucky if the agent does not pay enough attention but, ime, these claims are routinely rejected.
What was the main reason they rejected the claims?
I have never BRG in this situation, so I am interested in knowing others experiences in this. If IHG no longer have the AP rate available, providing everything else matches the terms, (apart from the cancellation terms) isn't in theory one can BRG IHG Flex rate vs 3rd party non-refundable rate? Or do people find it depends on the agent? Thanks
Old May 20, 2014, 11:48 am

"we were able to find out that the lower rate you were claiming is listed and available. However, please note that you have booked a flexible rate where it is possible to cancel the reservation without penalty before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Thursday, 3 July, 2014. On the other hand, the third-party website only allows free cancellation up to 6:00PM on July 2, 2014 (local hotel time). Please be advised that this would make the lower rate being claimed more restrictive than the reservation you have booked and as such we are unable to compare the two rates for the purpose of the guarantee."

super lame. there's a non-refundable rate that's also cheaper on the other site, but don't feel like taking that chance since they seem to try pretty hard to find any reason to not approve it. also, waited 36 hrs, no response, so sent a follow up email. reply received within a few hours.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
This is absolutely FALSE. Nowhere, does it mention this. All it states is that the credit card used to reserve the room must be in good standing if the hotel should try to run a preauthorization charge on it.

Upon check out, ANY form of payment can be used.
Thanks Flying high! So I should be ok with a card whose name is not on the folio? I assume as long as IHG sees the room as paid I should be in fine shape.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
non-smoking vs no reference

The hotel I am looking at is a non-smoking hotel, all rooms are non-smoking. The OTA website prices are less than IHG but without "non-smoking" in the room description, however the OTA also has rooms with "non-smoking" in the description but at prices equal to IHG.

Would IHG have grounds to deny a BRG on this basis that "non-smoking" is not included in the room description?

Thanks,
Old May 20, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by tofuavecfa
"we were able to find out that the lower rate you were claiming is listed and available. However, please note that you have booked a flexible rate where it is possible to cancel the reservation without penalty before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Thursday, 3 July, 2014. On the other hand, the third-party website only allows free cancellation up to 6:00PM on July 2, 2014 (local hotel time). Please be advised that this would make the lower rate being claimed more restrictive than the reservation you have booked and as such we are unable to compare the two rates for the purpose of the guarantee."

super lame. there's a non-refundable rate that's also cheaper on the other site, but don't feel like taking that chance since they seem to try pretty hard to find any reason to not approve it. also, waited 36 hrs, no response, so sent a follow up email. reply received within a few hours.
Judging by the date - July there was probably an advanced rate available to book on IHG. Therefore you booked a best flex to compare against the best flex OTA. The OTA terms were restrictive and so the denied claim is clearly justified.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tofuavecfa

It's never nice to be turned down, but they've played a straight bat here. The third party conditions need to be more favourable than, or equal to, those offered by the IHG website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.