Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
If lower rate is verified, IHG will give the first night free and match lower rate for remaining three nights.
Yeah, I got that. But if they they don't honor the BRG submission, I'd be stuck with 4 nights at the higher IHG rate. So I figured I'd test it and only booked the first night. If they don't honor it, I'm only paying the higher rate for 1 night (non-refundable rate) and I can use the other website for the final 3 nights. What I'm worried about is that if they do honor it, do they make the 3rd party website raise their prices to match IHG? That would force me to pay higher prices for the remaining 3 nights.

When you guys (and gals) have a multi-night stay planned and find a potential BRG, do you book all the nights and submit the BRG? Or do you typically test it by booking 1 night only first?
Old May 5, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Yeah, I got that. But if they they don't honor the BRG submission, I'd be stuck with 4 nights at the higher IHG rate. So I figured I'd test it and only booked the first night. If they don't honor it, I'm only paying the higher rate for 1 night (non-refundable rate) and I can use the other website for the final 3 nights. What I'm worried about is that if they do honor it, do they make the 3rd party website raise their prices to match IHG? That would force me to pay higher prices for the remaining 3 nights.

When you guys (and gals) have a multi-night stay planned and find a potential BRG, do you book all the nights and submit the BRG? Or do you typically test it by booking 1 night only first?
You don't say how much per night the OTA will save you? Sometimes it is less than 10usd, other times much more. Yes on occasion the OTA is asked not to better prices by either IHG or the local hotel itself. However that is not automatic and followed up by IHG/Hotel every time.

Depends if you need the 3days qualifying nights and points for nights 2-4 to maintain elite status. If not needed and a high price differential then yes you could brg 1night and book 3nights with OTA.

Or you can just simply book all 4nights with the OTA if saving per night is that good? Bear in mind hotels do not need to honour elite status bennies for OTA 3rd party reservations.

If you can find a better rate on one OTA website, that will usually mean you can find other OTAs also beating the IHG.COM rate.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Hotels don't like giving away rooms, and once they realise they are vulnerable to this happening they're likely to adjust availability/prices to agencies: that's the raison d'être of the whole shebang!

Just how quickly they carry out this rationalisation of prices has to be a gamble.

Trying to be too clever at gaming the system (AKA being greedy!) carries risks.

You don't seem very certain of the validity of your claim. The "rules" are pretty clear, but you could be playing in a fuzzy area of interpretation of the rules.

The only certainty seems to be the OTA rate is significantly better than the IHG one, and as points /qualifying stays don't seem important to you, go with the agency.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just had a claim take thirty hours. By the time thirty hours rolled around, the OTA rate was long gone (of course). I like to call this the "stall and deny" tactic.

Hopefully this isn't now par for the course.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You don't seem very certain of the validity of your claim. The "rules" are pretty clear, but you could be playing in a fuzzy area of interpretation of the rules.

The only certainty seems to be the OTA rate is significantly better than the IHG one, and as points /qualifying stays don't seem important to you, go with the agency.
I do care about the points, but not the qualifying stays. The third-party rate is significantly lower, but there are way too many reports of rejection for me to be certain about the validity of my claim. But as far as meeting the T+C, yes, the rate I found meets the criteria. The only fuzzy area is the OTA site has a "double standard" room, whereas IHG has a "double" room.
Old May 6, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

I do care about the points, but not the qualifying stays. The third-party rate is significantly lower, but there are way too many reports of rejection for me to be certain about the validity of my claim. But as far as meeting the T+C, yes, the rate I found meets the criteria. The only fuzzy area is the OTA site has a "double standard" room, whereas IHG has a "double" room.
I do believe both room types you mentioned are comparable, for BRG purposes
Old May 7, 2014, 3:30 am

Response times are currently longer than 3 days for claims I have submitted and both of them have been rejected. The reason provided was they were unable to find the lower rate, I can still see it though. Of course they will not provide a screenshot and only point at the T&C and claim they verified the rates properly. This was for pre-paid, nonrefundable rates. Go figure.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:59 am

3 Day? Got one approved yesterday within 27 hours.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:05 am

The ihg BRG is a joke. I submitted a BRG last week on Friday. I didn't hear from them on Monday so I called. The csrs said that they could not locate my BRG claim and so they asked me to cancel my original reservation and submit a new one. Then on Tuesday I hear back from BRG and they say "we wanted to process your BRG but you cancelled your reservation...... " Arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a complete cluster.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by 31570324
3 Day? Got one approved yesterday within 27 hours.
Mine the other day took around 30ish too, 72 hours is a lot longer. There must be some reasoning behind it. I know previously they would reply and state they need more time if they were still verifying the rate.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:16 am

I submitted my BRG claim on Monday afternoon, about 4 PM PST. I have not heard from them since and it is been well over 30 hours, but I understand that I submitted my claim late in the day, so I'll be patient. But I haven't heard anything from them, not even that they received my claim. Am I supposed to get some sort if confirmation that they received my claim?
Old May 7, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
The ihg BRG is a joke. I submitted a BRG last week on Friday. I didn't hear from them on Monday so I called. The csrs said that they could not locate my BRG claim and so they asked me to cancel my original reservation and submit a new one. Then on Tuesday I hear back from BRG and they say "we wanted to process your BRG but you cancelled your reservation...... " Arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a complete cluster.
Nice find! ^
In my opinion quite all the BPG programs are a scam. IHG, Radisson, Accor. It's a sort of bait and switch because they convince people to book on their website, hoping for a BPG benefits, in the meantime the (lower) OTA rate is gone and people are fuc**d up!
For what I've been able to observe and heard, the BPG policies are made by the company to "control" the super low rates that often are published on many OTA by the hotel management. I dunno if it's true, but I suspect that something real is behind it!
Just one time Hilton honored a BPG promise, matching the fare and offering 50$ extra bonus, so nothing special, except for the pts!
Old May 7, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Just had one turned down due to different cancellation terms.

Took about 27 hours.

I think I'm going to resign from this now. Have had a few decent ones in the past but they've clearly tightened up on approving them and there a very few websites out there, if any in the uk, that have cancellation policies which are exactly the same as 4pm on day of check in
Old May 7, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Silver
I submitted a claim last Friday and I haven't heard anything. Should I call the general customer service number to ask about it?
Old May 7, 2014, 10:44 am

Is IHG supposed to contact us to notify us that they received out claim, or is the BRG acceptance/denial the first contact?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.