Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Cozumel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:15 pm

Interesting to read these comments. We will make our 2nd trip to this property and coincidentally be there the same dates as Runner123. On our last visit as Platinum Ambassadors our two rooms were upgraded to luxury beachfront on an all points reservation. This time I am a Spire (but dropped the Ambassador) on a points reservation which still shows the base room type. It is a lovely property. We ate all meals there and they were good. We discovered the spa too late during our 4 day trip and only 2 of our family were able to schedule appointments.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
When were you there last? Are you booked in two rooms again? Is it a points stay again? Maybe it goes to the fact you are multiple people, and alas, I am only a solo!
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:10 pm

Well, I am still going despite the new rules. I had a COVID test booked previously, but now I can get one right at the Westin, where I stay my second week. Ironically, despite becoming Platinum with Marriott by challenge, the Westin is upgrading me to an 885 square foot Junior Suite on the Top Floor with 1 1/2 baths, a whirlpool tub, and a L balcony and free breakfast every day! So even though having higher status and longer with IHG, and much more paid stays, I am doing much worse.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:40 pm

I am here at the IC Cozumel now. The hotel is 1/8 full at best. They continue their reputation of extremely limited recognition of status, and limiting any benefits as much as possible. I am a Spire Ambassador and I was upgraded to a luxury pool view, but had to pay for 7 nights at $75 for the upgrade. They even made me pay for my "free" Ambassador night. I am at the hotel for 10 nights, two of which are Virtuoso nights, and they make you use the $100 that night. Since I didn't arrive until 4pm, and 45 minutes checking in, that seemed ridiculous. The ee checking me in was super nice, and he was in the difficult position of enforcing the policies. After looking at the ocean front rooms, I am really glad I didn't pay the $200 a night they wanted-the ocean view room is much nicer than the ocean front! All the staff are super nice, and the two meals I've had-breakfast and lunch, were great! The staff is, working very hard to keep the hotel safe here, and I feel safer here than at home. No one at all is by the pool that isn't by the ocean and there are plenty of loungers and palapas available. It was too windy to do any swimming today, although you could go in the one small sheltered cove.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:32 pm

I finished my 10 days at the IC Presidente. The hotel is very lovely, and the staff wonderful. I didn't feel the food was drastically overpriced, but I only ate 2 free breakfasts there, 3 lunches and a dinner. I had the same item for lunch-a grilled shrimp Caesar salad, which was superb the first two times and indifferent the last. I had a beef shawarma for dinner at Le Cap which was absolutely amazing. The maid was super except she kept taking the glasses, and not replacing them-a minor quibble. The two issues I have are not letting the $100 Virtuoso credit be used over the course of a day-that is a ridiculous policy. I had $200 which I planned on using to eat meals there. What difference does it matter if I spend it over the course of a week? It's hard to spend $100 if you check in at 4pm and it has to be used that day and you are a single person. If all hotels have that policy, I will rethink booking Virtuoso rates. Also, the hotel was practically empty. Every time I asked, they kept doubling what I would guess the estimated occupancy rate was. At best, it was 25%. And yet, they won't upgrade people or insist on ridiculous prices for upgrades. $200 a night for an oceanfront room which is no closer than the Oceanview-just down a floor? And they do so little for their elites. I am at the Westin now getting a free American breakfast every day (even the three days I am not entitled) and in a huge 884 junior suite on the top floor with free spa access even though I have much less status with Marriott (Platinum) than IHG (Spire Ambassador!!) The reefs here are lovely to snorkel, however, be forewarned that while I was here winds frequently closed them at least 1/3 of the time. Would I stay again? Not for the prices I paid-I am getting way more value at the Westin.
EqualOpp and 336 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
I can second that, they are normally going by the books with regard to upgrade. As a RA however they try to make everything more than right. When I went with my family they included breakfast also for the kids and with regard to upgrade they were very accommodating showing various categories.

Free breakfast is not one of the elite benfits except you are RA. That's the difference between Bonvoy and IHG Rewards, thus difficult/unfair to compare the two properties.

Regarding food I absolutely agree with you. The prices are very reasonable for this type of hotel. I love Le Cap the open air bar/restaurant. Also the Peruvian restaurant is excellent, though a bit more pricey.

Overall I can highly recommend this property. Unfortunately I couldn't go there last year due to Covid, but I have been there for about 4 or 5 consecutive years and really love this hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:38 pm

I am well aware that IHG does not include breakfast for its elites as a benefit-I think they may want to rethink that policy, or at least if there is no lounge at the hotel. Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott give breakfast, IHG could give something-maybe a free Continental breakfast or a few free drinks, a bit of free minibar access? It is a stunning property made even better by the safety precautions by their employees. I think I just wouldn't pay for upgrades next time.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Runner123
I am well aware that IHG does not include breakfast for its elites as a benefit-I think they may want to rethink that policy, or at least if there is no lounge at the hotel. Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott give breakfast, IHG could give something-maybe a free Continental breakfast or a few free drinks, a bit of free minibar access? It is a stunning property made even better by the safety precautions by their employees. I think I just wouldn't pay for upgrades next time.
that is literally wrong. As a Royal Ambassador you get free breakfast either in the restaurant or in the lounge (in case the property has a lounge) at all Intercontinental hotels, and when I'm not mistaken as well at Kimpton, Regent and Six Senses. as a RA you get also free minibar up to 50USD per night for up to a max of 4 nights per stay.

RA is however way more difficult to achieve than Platinum at Marriott or Diamond at Hilton, both at where you get nights for just having a credit card.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:49 pm

I wasn't talking about RA, I was talking about Ambassador only. And I am accurate about that. If you compare what a Spire or an Ambassador gets compared to a Diamond or a Titanium or a Globalist, IHG loses out. You may prefer IHG for other reasons (IHG, IMHO, has the best point redemption around), but that is something different.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:17 am

I wasn't talking about RA, I was talking about Ambassador only. And I am accurate about that. If you compare what a Spire or an Ambassador gets compared to a Diamond or a Titanium or a Globalist, IHG loses out. You may prefer IHG for other reasons (IHG, IMHO, has the best point redemption around), but that is something different.
you are comparing apple and pears. Ambassador is a status which you can buy for 200 USD, Its difficult to compare this with top tiers at other chains. At Intercontinental Royal Ambassador is the top tier and provides IMO superior results compared to other chains. I agree that in terms of benefits other chains provide more meaningful benefits to their top tiers than IHG does with Spire. But as said for the more upscale brands Spire doesn't mean not that much, as there its RA which gets you the best benefits.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:13 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I stayed here with my family for five days last week during Spring Break (first visit) and it was nice. I think my family liked it more than I did, but my mind is always geared more toward business travel which this was not. I had an "ocean front access" room that really faced the small cove and restaurants more than the beach, but it worked out for the kids. Two COVID tests came free with the reservation and extras were 25$ US or 500$MXN (I paid in pesos...). They have a small clinic room onsite and it was fast and easy and emailed results took about three hours, which I then uploaded to UNITED and it was painless. Restaurants were fine though Alfredo seemed a bit overrated IMO, but being Italian nothing compares to Italy LOL. Faro and the Mexican kitchen were the best of the four. Maybe because it was Spring Break in Texas but hotel was at least half full (and both my flights to/fro were 100% full).

They offered "insurance" you could buy for IIRC ~9$ a night incase you got COVID and had to quarantine at the hotel which would then only cost you $10 per night for ten days. I declined. Only used the concierge once but they were helpful and the housekeeper was very good, especially with the amount of sand my kids brought in (and she cleaned the porch better than I thought possible).

I was not an IHG member before this stay but they signed me up automatically so I will start learning more about the IHG system now.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: UA, QFF, AA, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Circle.
Is the IC Cozumel a good redemption of IHG points?

Hello Runner123,

I just read your review of the IC Cozumel. Thanks for all the details.
A few questions if you don't mind....
I am planning to book a stay at this hotel/resort using all IHG points (I think 80k points per night, in December)

1. I see your comment that IHG Plat or IC Amb (regular) status will NOT get any breakfast included.
If so, what's the regular price of the breakfast per person at this resort?

2. If we decide not to spend the money at the hotel restaurants for dinner/lunch, are there cheaper/decent dining alternatives conveniently outside nearby the hotel? i.e. Walkable?

3. In your opinion, do you think the 80k points per night and just the IHG Plat status will get any additional benefits? In addition to the Plat status, I could also sign up for the regular IC Amb before going on the trip in December, but I do not believe that it will get me anything other than potentially using the one night certificate that comes with it ? ...Your thoughts?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Rgds,
me4tux

I finished my 10 days at the IC Presidente. The hotel is very lovely, and the staff wonderful. I didn't feel the food was drastically overpriced, but I only ate 2 free breakfasts there, 3 lunches and a dinner. I had the same item for lunch-a grilled shrimp Caesar salad, which was superb the first two times and indifferent the last. I had a beef shawarma for dinner at Le Cap which was absolutely amazing. The maid was super except she kept taking the glasses, and not replacing them-a minor quibble. The two issues I have are not letting the $100 Virtuoso credit be used over the course of a day-that is a ridiculous policy. I had $200 which I planned on using to eat meals there. What difference does it matter if I spend it over the course of a week? It's hard to spend $100 if you check in at 4pm and it has to be used that day and you are a single person. If all hotels have that policy, I will rethink booking Virtuoso rates. Also, the hotel was practically empty. Every time I asked, they kept doubling what I would guess the estimated occupancy rate was. At best, it was 25%. And yet, they won't upgrade people or insist on ridiculous prices for upgrades. $200 a night for an oceanfront room which is no closer than the Oceanview-just down a floor? And they do so little for their elites. I am at the Westin now getting a free American breakfast every day (even the three days I am not entitled) and in a huge 884 junior suite on the top floor with free spa access even though I have much less status with Marriott (Platinum) than IHG (Spire Ambassador!!) The reefs here are lovely to snorkel, however, be forewarned that while I was here winds frequently closed them at least 1/3 of the time. Would I stay again? Not for the prices I paid-I am getting way more value at the Westin.

Last edited by me4tux; Sep 13, 2021 at 12:18 am Reason: minor
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
They have a buffet which we never did and instead ordered off a menu, at about $20/person for breakfast.

we walked to the “money bar” for drinks and dinner, otherwise you need a taxi into town for a wide selection of great restaurants. The on-site seafood restaurant was quite good.

status gets you very little at this ihg. I believe we got a $15 food credit for the stay but because we used points & credit card free night there were no room upgrades. We paid the upgrade fee ($250) to get a luxury beachfront room. It’s a lovely hotel but they are very rigid and trained not to offer upgrades.
me4tux likes this.

Last edited by wilma; Sep 20, 2021 at 11:17 am
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:06 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Stayed here again last weekend (just two nights) for a quick getaway with the fam for a birthday. Was put in a room in the 3000s but requested to move back over to the 2100s (both beach access, fam wanted same area as before closer to beach and food). Staff were great and friendly throughout (save one guy not happy El Tri lost to the US LOL). THe kids club and the pottery guy for kids, Pedro, were back open (they were closed during our March visit). Jet ski rental was same, restaurants about the same. Faro was still great and did a nice birthday setup for one of my fam. Several staff remembered us from last visit (not sure if that is good or bad LOL). I had a rental car again, otherwise not much else nearby, though they do a brisk bike rental. There were a couple of folks smoking on balconies and one at the beach, which I did not see in March. THe hotel check-in staff actually asked us at checkin to report any smokers so maybe that is a growing problem. Anyway, it was fine for the family and likely will try it again in a few months as I have work meetings on the island and will let the fam play while I work. Covid clinic was still there doing tests (still two complimentary if you book three or more days). We did not use it this time as we got tested in Houston Friday morning before leaving so that counted to get us home Sunday night, but most guests were booking tests there. Got a two hour late checkout granted also.

This was my first IHG stay after they auto-joined me on my first visit. Points posted today after Sunday checkout and it bumped me to Gold and gave me 5k extra points as part of a special.

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Dec 2, 2021 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:37 am

Did you have any issues staying with your three kids in one room? We have a week booked on points and have three young kids. The youngest can sleep in a crib or pack n play but I am worried they are strict about their occupancy of 4 per room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.