Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brasov02
Not yet. Fortunately I have no plans to use the free night in the immediate future so I'm in no hurry there. I just wanted to know that it was officially in the pipeline.
Even if you do not have immediate plan to use it, you may still want to keep a close eye on the situation just in case instead of its being in the pipeline, it falls in the crack and never makes its way to the pipeline!

With an email alert at least you may attach it in your email inquiry in case the actual e-cert has not arrived in near future. With the post card you would need to scan it to make a digital file to attach it.

And we all know how long it takes PCR to reply its emails...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
I finally received a reply to my question as to my annual free night. As usual, they didn't really answer my specific question but a pretty good overall explanation of the process. In case it might help anyone here is their reply: bolding mine...

"Thank you for contacting Priority Club Rewards regarding your Platinum Elite account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Priority® Club Select Visa® cardholders are entitled to receive an annual free night certificate every time they celebrate their anniversary as cardholders. The certificate is valid for one night and tax and can be used at any IHG hotel worldwide except at an all-inclusive property. The mechanics and usage of the Annual Free Night Certificate are still being finalized but here’s what we have so far:

• Cardholders will receive their annual free night certificate within 8

weeks following their anniversary

• It will be sent via email therefore all cardholders will be required to

provide a valid email address to receive their certificates.

• To use the certificate, cardholders will be asked to contact you to

book it and present it upon check-in. [??]

• Cardholders have 12 months from the date of issue to use the

Certificate

• The Annual Free Night Certificate may not be transferred, used

after its expiration date, redeemed for cash, or converted to points.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us as we value your patronage. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact the Priority Club Service Center again."

So basically I guess you have until 8 weeks after your anniversary date and you still haven't heard anything about your free night before you need to start making calls.
(And I think they bungled the bullet point "To use the certificate, cardholders will be asked to contact you to book it and present it upon check-in." I think they meant to say we will be asked to contact the particular property where our free night is going to be used? Or am I the confused one?)

Last edited by brasov02; Sep 15, 2011 at 12:29 am
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by lyst
Does this need to be used by only me, or can I set it up for someone else? I've set up online reservations for someone else with my reward points by adding their name. Wonder if I could do that with this certificate when I call in. Anyone know?? Thanks.
It can't be "transferred." But how is "transferred" defined? Maybe you can't actually give the certificate to someone else to use but you yourself could use it to book a room for someone else? Someone try and let us know...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brasov02
I finally received a reply to my question as to my annual free night. As usual, they didn't really answer my specific question but a pretty good overall explanation of the process. In case it might help anyone here is their reply: bolding mine...

"Thank you for contacting Priority Club Rewards regarding your Platinum Elite account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Priority® Club Select Visa® cardholders are entitled to receive an annual freje night certificate every time they celebrate their anniversary as cardholders. The certificate is valid for one night and tax and can be used at any IHG hotel worldwide except at an all-inclusive property. The mechanics and usage of the Annual Free Night Certificate are still being finalized but here’s what we have so far:

• Cardholders will receive their annual free night certificate within 8

weeks following their anniversary

• It will be sent via email therefore all cardholders will be required to

provide a valid email address to receive their certificates.

• To use the certificate, cardholders will be asked to contact you to

book it and present it upon check-in. [??]

• Cardholders have 12 months from the date of issue to use the

Certificate

• The Annual Free Night Certificate may not be transferred, used

after its expiration date, redeemed for cash, or converted to points.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us as we value your patronage. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact the Priority Club Service Center again."

So basically I guess you have until 8 weeks after your anniversary date and you still haven't heard anything about your free night before you need to start making calls.
(And I think they bungled the bullet point "To use the certificate, cardholders will be asked to contact you to book it and present it upon check-in." I think they meant to say we will be asked to contact the particular property where our free night is going to be used? Or am I the confused one?)
They copied and pasted from a memo to the agents. 'you' means the agents.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
They copied and pasted from a memo to the agents. 'you' means the agents.
Ahh. Thanks. Had me a bit confused there.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
Cert received today (9/15), expires 9/13 next year. Pretty close!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Got a snail mail yesterday saying my card anniversary is "fast approaching" and that I would get my cert via email shortly after the anniversary date. My card anniversary is in November.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Savage25
Got a snail mail yesterday saying my card anniversary is "fast approaching" and that I would get my cert via email shortly after the anniversary date. My card anniversary is in November.
How can you tell when your card anniversary is? I just opened my card 6 weeks ago and I also got a snail mail saying my card anniversary is fast approaching. I thought the anniversary would be on the opening date of the card? Or do I get a cert right after opening the card also??
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MorganB
How can you tell when your card anniversary is?
Because I have a spreadsheet with the date when I applied for it.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
i received an email on the 2nd of august informing me that my anniversary would be on the 15th of september....but my card has already been charged the annual fee on the 1st of september....i guess i should get the cert tomorrow....
got my certificate yesterday....^^
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I got the card, and my anniversary is next May!!!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I already got the email and then the card came yesterday.

The card is to remind everyone to have his updated email address in the profile so not to miss their e-certs.

But the fact that the cards are mailed out indifferently to anyone is eligible for the e-cert regardless their anniversary dates defeats the purpose because while it is nice to remind folks 2 months before the arrival of e-cert is a thoughtful gesture, doing so 9 months ahead serves zero purpose because the time is too far out!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Because I have a spreadsheet with the date when I applied for it.
Said like a true FT-er.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bump.

We are waiting for our e-certs to arrive in 2nd half of October. (Card was applied on 10/26, showed up online 10/28).

The annual fee of both cards is already billed on 10/01. To me, this is billed one month early.

After writing this, I think I should inquire this with Chase - it is pocketing one extra month fee in this case.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
where's my free night? (from Visa priority credit card)

I've had the visa Priority credit card for a year now and have qualified for my free night. However, when I called Priority club, they said it was in my online priority club account. Its no where to be found. Anyone know where eactly to look for it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.