Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:32 pm

Photo

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
I am sure the photographers have accepted PC points as payment...

Lets hope they follow the rules.

Interesting info.

I just hope they return to shutterstock for weeks 7/8 (or use one of photomom's pictures), so we can solve the location (with exact photos) on day 1.
Kauai is such a popular destination that a PC employee may have provided the base picture. A last minute rework of the photo clues could explain the delay in this week’s contest. The days of an exact shutterstock match are probably over.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by rofly
HAWAII spelled out all the way!

If you look in the other thread about points, you will see that at least 7 people claim to not haven gotten points for AK (instead of Alaska). There are no reports of not getting points for Alaska spelled out so you can't go wrong w/that. Yes, the example they give suggests that HI would work, and people are complaining to PC, but in the meantime Hawaii is the risk-free way to go.
I am thinking that maybe the issue isn't the use of an abbreviation, but rather that someone at PC thinks that the abbreviation for Alaska is AL or something else (other than AK, I mean).
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC
Now, if we entered Kauai, Hawaii, USA yesterday, is there any alteration to that entry that we should consider for today? Or just enter the same thing again? Or, as one person suggested, Kauai Island, Hawaii, USA. I believe the consensus was to skip trying to pinpoint the beach or a particular park.
That's what I entered yesterday, and I think I'm going leave it alone and not post anymore, unless by some odd chance tomorrow's clues point to something different or more specific. I guess perhaps going with the Hawaiian spelling is an option: Kaua'i, Hawai'i, USA. I posted "Sabah, Malaysia, Borneo Ilsand" on day 2 of the week 4 puzzle, and when it was clear that was right I decided not to mess with it, and it posted just fine. I think I'm going to do the same with Kauai.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC
Now, if we entered Kauai, Hawaii, USA yesterday, is there any alteration to that entry that we should consider for today? Or just enter the same thing again? Or, as one person suggested, Kauai Island, Hawaii, USA. I believe the consensus was to skip trying to pinpoint the beach or a particular park
I do not see the value in entering the exact same answer every day. I would suggest changing a little each time as suggested.
Example: (my Exact Answers for this week)
Day 1 : Fraser Island, Queensland, Australia
Day 2 : Kauai, Hawaii, USA
Day 3: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands, USA
Day 4: Something diff. after seeing clues/photos
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:49 pm

I apologise in advance for what may seem like a stupid question, but why are we so bothered aboutt he exact wording, I knno we have to be a fairly specific, but when they post the answer they just post -

ARUBA

COSTA RICA...

How do we know that by posting something the next day it doesnt void the answer before?

Has that been checked out?

;o)
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by CAS1
Kauai is such a popular destination that a PC employee may have provided the base picture. A last minute rework of the photo clues could explain the delay in this week’s contest. The days of an exact shutterstock match are probably over.
Good point.

We have not really discussed why the game was delayed almost exactly 12 hours on Tuesday. I currently have no theories.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
That's what I entered yesterday, and I think I'm going leave it alone and not post anymore, unless by some odd chance tomorrow's clues point to something different or more specific. I guess perhaps going with the Hawaiian spelling is an option: Kaua'i, Hawai'i, USA. I posted "Sabah, Malaysia, Borneo Island" on day 2 of the week 4 puzzle, and when it was clear that was right I decided not to mess with it, and it posted just fine. I think I'm going to do the same with Kauai.
Good point Ikar. I'll wait until late this evening and see if anything changes with regards to the general consensus. I think I did put an apostrophe in Kaua'i last night so maybe I'll just enter it the 'plain' way without. FWIW I think I included Borneo on every entry during the Malaysia week.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I am thinking that maybe the issue isn't the use of an abbreviation, but rather that someone at PC thinks that the abbreviation for Alaska is AL or something else (other than AK, I mean).
I actually have a theory that the only thing that really needs to be in your post is the large word that appears in the winner post card that ultimately gets shown on the hotels anywhere game site.

If this is true, since the answer to that week was "ALASKA," then perhaps the reason AK is not posting is because "ALASKA" was actually the official answer. (Which is a pretty large screw up on PC's part, since their examples make clear that abbreviating state names is ok.)

I'd really be curious to hear of anyone who put any answer with "ALASKA" in it who did not get points for that guess, or, similarly, anyone who put "MALAYSIA" or "COSTA RICA" in an answer who does not get credit. (I know that the points for Costa Rica haven't posted yet.)

I know some people who put entirely correct answers didn't get credit, which I think is some kind of other glitch and I don't think answers the question. What I'm wondering about is whether "Juneau, Alaska" would have gotten credit.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
This has already been discussed in the other thread. We simply do not know the nature of the underlying problem, and have only the symptom -- use of "AK" = no credit, vs using the full state name = credit -- attested by multiple data points.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cathy2907
I apologise in advance for what may seem like a stupid question, but why are we so bothered aboutt he exact wording, I knno we have to be a fairly specific, but when they post the answer they just post -

ARUBA

COSTA RICA...

How do we know that by posting something the next day it doesnt void the answer before?

;o)
Well if you spell like above you have no chance
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by cathy2907
;o)
I do not believe your guesses will be voided. You are just allowed to keep guessing in case the first day(or second day, or third day) is incorrect.

The terms and conditions of the contest can be found at the anywhere challege website and the 1st post of this thread by Motors (if you are interested).

Welcome to FT
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Wonder would it be KAUAI, HAWAII, USA... or ... NA PALI COAST STATE WILDERNESS PARK, KAUAI, HAWAII, USA or is that too specific

http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parks/kauai/napali.cfm
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:13 pm

I think this week is pretty much wrapped up. Thanks to all who contributed.

Personally I did quite a bit of searching, but ended up spnning my wheels looking in places like Spain, Greece, Brazil, and Australia...

At least I will be ready if the next destination is one of those. Which brings me to the point of this post. With only two more weeks, what do you think the last two destinations will be?

I think one of them should be in Australia, maybe the other one in Europe.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM; AS; GP D; HH D
Originally Posted by beltway
This has already been discussed in the other thread. We simply do not know the nature of the underlying problem, and have only the symptom -- use of "AK" = no credit, vs using the full state name = credit -- attested by multiple data points.
I got points for "KENAI RIVER, KENAI NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, AK, USA". Hopefully Infoleech will figure out the rules!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:36 pm

wierd

I sent in exactly the same as above:

Kenai River, Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, AK, USA

and got no points

unless my submission the following week:

Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia

got no points

it does seem like there is an element of randomness to the points being awarded

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.