Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by Infoleech
There is a thread for talking about points. It was separated to keep this thread ON TOPIC, i.e. a discussion about the location.

If you want to talk about points that's fine, do it in the appropriate thread.
Listen Leech, this thread was started to discuss the contest and the points are part of the contest. Just because some people dont want to read about points doesnt mean the rest of us want to follow two threads. So get over it and quit trying to force people to live by your rules.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by forerunner
I hope the Marketing people at IC were smart enough to license all their images. Could you imagine if they just picked an image off the internet and used it, and then the photographer sued them for copyright infringement?
The standard license from Shutterstock seems to require that the original photographer be credited when a picture is published. Of course, that would make the puzzles too easy. I have two possible guesses:

1. ICHG may have contacted all photographers and acquired special licenses to use excerpts of the images in puzzles without attribution.

2. ICHG may be breaking the terms of the license.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PixieStyx
Listen Leech, this thread was started to discuss the contest and the points are part of the contest. Just because some people dont want to read about points doesnt mean the rest of us want to follow two threads. So get over it and quit trying to force people to live by your rules.
I suspect that I'm not the only person who would prefer to respect a reasonable request from someone who's done an enormous amount on this thread over weeks in order to help everyone who's taking part in the competition - whether they're posting to the thread or not - than to deal with the lip and lazy attitude of a new member who's only been here on FT for two days and then only in order to sponge off the efforts of Infoleech and others.

The points thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ur-points.html It is not difficult to read it.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Sorry, but i agree with Infoleech completely...This thread is already difficult enough to keep up with without people posting "Yay...I got my points"

The fact that there is now a dedicated thread for this make much more sense and the fact that you wouldn't do this to make everyone's life a lot easier make absolute nonsense!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I suspect that I'm not the only person who would prefer to respect a reasonable request from someone who's done an enormous amount on this thread over weeks
+1. I respect what the people who separated out the threads have done, and it kind of rankles a bit to see people whose only contributions ever to flyertalk are in this thread being so assertive about what they want the thread to be and what they don't.

The aggressive nastiness on this board after we've pretty much figured out the answer though the next Tuesday is pretty surprising.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:41 pm

Do NOT enter Maui!

Originally Posted by mark jr
This is seplunking.

http://www.mauicave.com/photos/index.html

There is no seplunking on Kauai. It's just a tiny baby cave.
If it's in Hawaii I still think it's Maui.

If you did Kauai, Hawaii, USA yesterday maybe do Maui, Hawaii, USA today
Having been there and wed at Princeville, as soon as I saw the coastline this morning I thought, "Damn, it IS Kauai." The pictures since posted confirm the coastline is identical (nice job on those coastline pics, btw, everyone)

Do not enter Maui as your answer under any circumstances. Maui is a different island altogether, and this is clearly, clearly Kauai. I agree that the answer really probably can't be any more specific than Kauai because the golfing is not available in Hanalei Bay (or really on the Napali coast altogether), and the Napali coast does not reach 5,000 feet. The 5,000 feet mark is must further inland. I'm so bummed I didn't get this until day 3. Well, that's the breaks.
For those of you arguing about where to post point info, please just set your egos aside and stop. You only create more posts to sift through, which defeats your own point.
BTW, Hawaiian Airlines just posted new low rates. I HIGHLY recommend Kauai if you like outdoor activities. IMO most beutiful island in Hawaii.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Amb
I apologize for being rude and I've actually been lurking around FT for several months just never registered, only read threads but that's off topic...

My point is that you will never be successful in stopping people from posting things you want them to post somewhere else just like you will never be able to force them to read every single page or even the last 10 before asking a question that has been asked 20 tiimes. Infoleech's constant belittlement of everyone that does is just another useless post on the thread so why not just ignore the points posts and move on. Plus he's rude about it, he could ask nicely. You never know the other person's story or situation.

Carry on peeps, and I thought the Lowe's joke was hysterical but that's off topic too http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...milies/eek.gif
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:54 pm

Users do not always have to credit photographer when they use images purchased from Royalty Free Stock sites such as shutterstock or istockphoto. I have both purchased and supplied images for purchase on both these sites (though I am now exclusive to one site). My images have been used whole and I usually get credited when they are, or as a part of something else and I don't get credited in those cases. Graphic artists use these sites for cheap images to use as they are or as part of "collaged" images like what we are seeing here in this contest.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I suspect that I'm not the only person who would prefer to respect a reasonable request from someone who's done an enormous amount on this thread over weeks in order to help everyone who's taking part in the competition - whether they're posting to the thread or not - than to deal with the lip and lazy attitude of a new member who's only been here on FT for two days and then only in order to sponge off the efforts of Infoleech and others.

The points thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ur-points.html It is not difficult to read it.
I think we should start another thread titled "Anywhere Challenge complaints about posts complaining about posts complaining about posting point reports." (I swear, that makes sense if you follow it very slowly.)
Or I guess we could just be big kids and endure the enormous hardship of skimming over the obviously inevitable points posts and just move on. But that just wouldn't be the FT way.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by forerunner
I hope the Marketing people at IC were smart enough to license all their images. Could you imagine if they just picked an image off the internet and used it, and then the photographer sued them for copyright infringement?
I am sure the photographers have accepted PC points as payment...

Originally Posted by morepork
The standard license from Shutterstock seems to require that the original photographer be credited when a picture is published. Of course, that would make the puzzles too easy. I have two possible guesses:

1. ICHG may have contacted all photographers and acquired special licenses to use excerpts of the images in puzzles without attribution.

2. ICHG may be breaking the terms of the license.
Lets hope they follow the rules.

Originally Posted by photomom
Users do not always have to credit photographer when they use images purchased from Royalty Free Stock sites such as shutterstock or istockphoto. I have both purchased and supplied images for purchase on both these sites (though I am now exclusive to one site). My images have been used whole and I usually get credited when they are, or as a part of something else and I don't get credited in those cases. Graphic artists use these sites for cheap images to use as they are or as part of "collaged" images like what we are seeing here in this contest.
Interesting info.

I just hope they return to shutterstock for weeks 7/8 (or use one of photomom's pictures), so we can solve the location (with exact photos) on day 1.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:16 pm

I apologize for being rude and I've actually been lurking around FT for several months just never registered, only read threads but that's off topic...

My point is that you will never be successful in stopping people from posting things you want them to post somewhere else just like you will never be able to force them to read every single page or even the last 10 before asking a question that has been asked 20 tiimes. Infoleech's constant belittlement of everyone that does is just another useless post on the thread so why not just ignore the points posts and move on. Plus he's rude about it, he could ask nicely. You never know the other person's story or situation
A simple sorry would have been enough. Not...sorry, but you are still wrong.

Let's work together people.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:17 pm
Original Member

Abbreviations

For those concerned about abbreviations, note that USA is an abbreviation of United States of America.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:20 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Moderator Announcement:

Please stay on topic, otherwise we have to close this thread.

szg
Co-Moderator ICHG forums
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Thanks SZG.

Now, if we entered Kauai, Hawaii, USA yesterday, is there any alteration to that entry that we should consider for today? Or just enter the same thing again? Or, as one person suggested, Kauai Island, Hawaii, USA. I believe the consensus was to skip trying to pinpoint the beach or a particular park.

Oh, as for xenodocheionology (lover of inns and hotels), I think we may all fall into the obsessive compulsive bracket as well.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:31 pm

The title of this thread does not currently lead a newcomer to think it would be limited to discussion of the contest solutions. If that is the desire of the users, perhaps the mods should change to thread title to "Anywhere Challenge: Discussion of Clues and Solutions."

We all know there are a lot of newbies participating in this thread. From what I've seen, some of them have made important contributions to this dialog. They may have learned about FT because of the contest, but that doesn't mean their FT days will end when the contest is over. We should be more welcoming and encourage them to stick around. If someone gets attacked on their first post, they are not likely to contribute again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.