Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
The main benefit of this property is its location which is just next to shinagawa train station. Very practical for trips on the circular yamanote loop line inside Tokyo, to/from narita airport, and to/from other parts of Japan on the Shinkansen bullet train which stops here just before arriving at Tokyo main train station.

But apart from the location, the hotel has little in terms of character or style going for it. Staying here feels more like being in a semi luxury apartment complex with smallish rooms, than being in a real 4 or 5 star hotel.

The other 2 intercontinentals in the city (Tokyo Bay and the original one in Roppongi ) have better views, more facilties and feel more like proper hotels.

Probably the hotel managers know this, and that's why they're trying to up their game by finally building a club lounge....lets see if it works.
I used to stay here a few years back before I moved away from IHG in Tokyo - at the time the major draw was the fact it was modern and still fairly new vs. the other two IC hotels which felt very dated in the rooms (I understand some of the ANA rooms have been renovated now?). Yes, it has less facilities overall but it just felt like a nicer hotel to me as I tend to prioritise quality of the room over extensive facilities in Tokyo, where I'm likely to spend less time in the hotel and more time out in the city. Yes, it does have a slightly quiet, residential vibe but I quite like that.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Probably the hotel managers know this, and that's why they're trying to up their game by finally building a club lounge....lets see if it works.
Once they have a lounge at The Strings, that will completely seal the deal as the best IC in Tokyo, in my opinion.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
For my Chase anniversary night (grandfathered) it shows "1 Bd Deluxe 2 Pers" as the room option. Is this a king? Double? Smaller?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by andreiz
For my Chase anniversary night (grandfathered) it shows "1 Bd Deluxe 2 Pers" as the room option. Is this a king? Double? Smaller?
King.
andreiz likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:06 pm

Anyone recently stayed here and can say a few words about the club lounge?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
Yes - was there a few weeks ago and the service in the lounge, along with the views is excellent. Food choices are fairly decent - although it's only breakfast and dinner... not a great deal beyond crisps and cookies during the day
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Irons80
Yes - was there a few weeks ago and the service in the lounge, along with the views is excellent. Food choices are fairly decent - although it's only breakfast and dinner... not a great deal beyond crisps and cookies during the day
Thank you for your feedback! Do I understand it correctly that they don't provide and afternoon tea/coffee?

Actually I can answer the question myself. According to
https://intercontinental-strings.jp/...tercontinental
they also provide an afternoon tea set.

Last edited by Kimsbrand; Dec 18, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So I'm in a base room at the Strings as an Ambassador over a Saturday/Sunday using a weekend 241 certificate, I assume 1 level upgrade as Ambassador gets me the nicer room but not club access (this being Japan, rules are rules, and all). Upgrading to the room that's 1 level below club access is going to run $125 for the weekend (takes me from a total bill of $375 to $500).

Would you do it?

My gut says "not feeling it, I'd rather spend the $125 on food and drink outside the hotel in Tokyo, or even at the hotel I suppose". I'm by myself. I'll probably leave early enough Sunday for Kyoto that breakfast in the club won't make sense (something on the shinkansen will though).
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As you are aware that even if you book the room category below Club and get upgraded to a "Club room" you will not get the Club access included as AMB, so IMHO it is not worth it.

Unless you pay up outright for Club access (can be paid upgrade) you won't have Club benefits (unless RA).
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So I'm in a base room at the Strings as an Ambassador over a Saturday/Sunday using a weekend 241 certificate, I assume 1 level upgrade as Ambassador gets me the nicer room but not club access (this being Japan, rules are rules, and all). Upgrading to the room that's 1 level below club access is going to run $125 for the weekend (takes me from a total bill of $375 to $500).

Would you do it?

My gut says "not feeling it, I'd rather spend the $125 on food and drink outside the hotel in Tokyo, or even at the hotel I suppose". I'm by myself. I'll probably leave early enough Sunday for Kyoto that breakfast in the club won't make sense (something on the shinkansen will though).
This is more or less the amount I pay for being upgraded to a club room with all club benefits (from a reward night)
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by demue
As you are aware that even if you book the room category below Club and get upgraded to a "Club room" you will not get the Club access included as AMB, so IMHO it is not worth it.

Unless you pay up outright for Club access (can be paid upgrade) you won't have Club benefits (unless RA).
Well, then I really don’t feel the need for getting anything more than the base room, since club access is even MORE expensive than that. The one level up from base room seems nice enough.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is reception on the second floor now or back on the 26th floor? What floor is the new club lounge?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Jan 21, 2020 at 3:21 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is reception on the second floor now or back on the 26th floor? What floor is the new club lounge?
Reception is on the 26th floor. The new club lounge is on the 26th floor.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
First time staying here last month and they were offering a new welcome bonus. As a Spire/Diamond member, I could choose from breakfast, drink coupons or points (seems they used to only offer drink coupons). It was just about to change to the new IHG One Rewards. Platinum members get drink coupons or points. The breakfast seems like the best deal as it’s like $40/person (and you can get up to 2 breakfast coupons if you book for 2 people).
Old May 5, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Got a stay upcoming up here next year. Does anyone know if breakfast/club access will be provided on point stays for Diamonds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.