Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Anyone know where I can locate an email to contact this property?
This was the only email I was able to find online:

[email protected]

They got back to me within 24 hours and answered all my questions.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by SamDubs
Another data point re: single bed reward nights...

We wanted to book a reward night in August but like those above could only see availability for single rooms. I sent a message to the Rewards Club / Amb service centre querying this. Unusually I never received a reply. However, 48 hours later, double room reward night availability was wide open and we've successfully booked - so perhaps something has been escalated behind the scenes? Could be coincidence, of course...
I just did a search and there is no reward availability for 2 guests, but plenty for a single. I am going to email the hotel and see if this is a glitch and they can accomodate us.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:18 am

If I was in the same position, I would simply book it for 1 person and send them an e-mail requesting it to be changed to 2 people in a double room.

I don't think they should get away assigning these tiny single rooms for awards. Cash is okay because you are paying a lower rate, but not when redeeming points.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I contacted the hotel, the email went unanswered for five days as it went into their spam folder. They were extremely apologetic and asked me to book the room as a single, they'd adjust the reservation for two guests and noted my bed type preference.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:36 pm

hotel now allows award bookings with 2 guests woo hoo
happychic likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by brownie20
hotel now allows award bookings with 2 guests woo hoo
Ahh, interesting. I had made a few bookings before increase to 55k and put into comments that 2 people in room and need Double / Queen / King bed.

Afterwards room type was changed to Classic Double which is still small, but manageable for two without big luggage.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm looking to make a booking with points at The Strings for three nights in March. There are no rewards rooms available if searching for 2 people so I emailed the hotel to see what could be done. I just got this response (same day reply which was quick):

Dear Crofton138
Warm greetings from The Strings By InterContinental Tokyo.
We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and IHG hotels as IHG Spire Ambassador member.
Regarding your inquiry about availability for reward night, we are afraid to say that we can’t advise directly.
Please kindly contact to IHG rewards club center or booked by IHG.com.
If no rooms available for 2 adults on IHG.com, please kindly try to search for 1 person.
Due to the room type of rewards night reservation is limited only Classic Single room, we will upgrade the room to Classic Double or Classic Twin room for 2 persons.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime.
We look forward to your reservation.
Best regards,
Ayaka Higashi
Room Reservations
The Strings By InterContinental Tokyo
book @ intercontinental-strings.jp

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jun 29, 2018 at 11:59 am Reason: edited link
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Crofton138
I'm looking to make a booking with points at The Strings for three nights in March. There are no rewards rooms available if searching for 2 people so I emailed the hotel to see what could be done. I just got this response (same day reply which was quick):

Dear Crofton138
Warm greetings from The Strings By InterContinental Tokyo.
We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and IHG hotels as IHG Spire Ambassador member.
Regarding your inquiry about availability for reward night, we are afraid to say that we can’t advise directly.
Please kindly contact to IHG rewards club center or booked by IHG.com.
If no rooms available for 2 adults on IHG.com, please kindly try to search for 1 person.
Due to the room type of rewards night reservation is limited only Classic Single room, we will upgrade the room to Classic Double or Classic Twin room for 2 persons.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime.
We look forward to your reservation.
Best regards,
Ayaka Higashi
Room Reservations
The Strings By InterContinental Tokyo
book @ intercontinental-strings.jp
Known issue in Japan on awards. Hotels just offer 1ppn rooms (smaller singles) on awards. IHG t+c's are award rooms are for 2ppn, so book the small room and IC will upgrade you if 2ppn staying

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jun 29, 2018 at 11:59 am Reason: edited link
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Does anyone have any recent experience of staying at The Strings on a points/reward night booking as an Ambassador?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Crofton138
Does anyone have any recent experience of staying at The Strings on a points/reward night booking as an Ambassador?
Received an upgrade to a room on the top floor, but it still felt small.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Upgrade from the Single room is to a Classic Double IIRC. Not huge (ok its small), but fine for max. 2 people wih moderately sized luggage. Bathroom is fine with shower and separate tub.

I stayed a few weeks ago on a paid stay and my upgrade as Spire AMB and repeat guest was from Deluxe to King Deluxe. Basically a slightly larger room with a bigger King bed and a larger sofa. Still only around 30sqm. In the past I would get upgraded to the Premier room, but no longer. Didn't feel like arguing this time around. YMMV.

While not necessarily relevant for the OP, the breakfast (incl. in our corp rate) has been improved upon. No more nonsense of charging extra for an omelet or so as an egg station for cook to order is included now and they made the most fluffy egg white omelet I have seen in a long time. Also a fresh orange juice machine is there now that squeezes the juice on the spot.

Last edited by demue; Nov 29, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Stayed here on a one night award stay for two people. Award booked as a classic single. Was upgraded to King deluxe pro-actively as platinum. Did not have to request.

Stayed here as I was arriving from Kyoto at the Shingawa station and leaving from that station the next morning for NRT on the Narita Express. Check in was friendly and professional.

Given two drink coupons. Attempted to use coupons that even but staff in the restaurant / bar area was uninterested. We were finally seated and then forgotten about. Choice was beer or wine for free. We wanted a cocktail which was about 15$ US so we ended up leaving. Our departure went unnoticed.

Room was fine. Nothing exceptional. Had an airport hotel vibe with smallish rooms and lack luster bathroom, Would only stay here for proximity to the train station. Immediate area around the hotel seemed uninteresting.
Unterwegs likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MorganB
Stayed here on a one night award stay for two people. Award booked as a classic single. Was upgraded to King deluxe pro-actively as platinum. Did not have to request.

Stayed here as I was arriving from Kyoto at the Shingawa station and leaving from that station the next morning for NRT on the Narita Express. Check in was friendly and professional.

Given two drink coupons. Attempted to use coupons that even but staff in the restaurant / bar area was uninterested. We were finally seated and then forgotten about. Choice was beer or wine for free. We wanted a cocktail which was about 15$ US so we ended up leaving. Our departure went unnoticed.

Room was fine. Nothing exceptional. Had an airport hotel vibe with smallish rooms and lack luster bathroom, Would only stay here for proximity to the train station. Immediate area around the hotel seemed uninteresting.
I had similarly terrible service in the restaurant/bar area.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
They have closed the check-in reception area on the 26th floor and are now finally building a club lounge there which will open sometime in the autumn. The rest of the 26th floor is like before except the China Shadow restaurant is also closed for rennovations. There was a letter in the room saying to expect some construction noise from 9am to 6pm each day.

Check-in reception is now on the 2nd floor in a smallish area just opposite the elevators. I don't know if this will be their new permanent location. Seem unlikely.

Breakfast (discounted for hotel guests) costs 3700 JPY per person.

Windows at this hotel can NOT be opened for fresh air.
There is no swimming pool.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jun 15, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
The main benefit of this property is its location which is just next to shinagawa train station. Very practical for trips on the circular yamanote loop line inside Tokyo, to/from narita airport, and to/from other parts of Japan on the Shinkansen bullet train which stops here just before arriving at Tokyo main train station.

But apart from the location, the hotel has little in terms of character or style going for it. Staying here feels more like being in a semi luxury apartment complex with smallish rooms, than being in a real 4 or 5 star hotel.

The other 2 intercontinentals in the city (Tokyo Bay and the original one in Roppongi ) have better views, more facilties and feel more like proper hotels.

Probably the hotel managers know this, and that's why they're trying to up their game by finally building a club lounge....lets see if it works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.