Changing Advance Purchase booking [merged]

Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 756
Changing Advance Purchase booking [merged]

thanks
apollo_liumin is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:11 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB lifetime Gold, BW Diam Sel
Posts: 17,621
If you mean a prepaid reservation, generally, the answer is no. Exceptions might be made on a case-by-case basis.

Be sure always to read the cancellation policy before booking any reservation!
KathyWdrf is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:47 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 56,469
Most if not all online confirmations are quite explicit in the terms & conditions about when or if you are allowed to cancel which depending on the room rate you booked. Doesn't it indicate the rate rules on your confirmation?
tcook052 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland, Angola, Thailand
Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,Platinum Ambassador, BA Gold, Qatar Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
Posts: 97
Depending on whether or not the advanced payment has come from your account may influence their decision. If you do have to cancel with the hotel as opposed to central reservation they may give you a credit as has been mentioned before.
blacknight is offline  
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Cancellation

In my experience, the only way to solve the situation is to call the hotel. Most times, they will be willing to give you a credit for future stay. The next best thing, if it is an option, is to go directly to the hotel and speak with the manager. I have had this happen many times where I thought I was staying over, but at the last minute had to take off. If you explain to them that it is business that is forcing you to leave early, they are most times generous enough to cancel and give a refund to you.
rhesse is offline  
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:03 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: wirral
Programs: IC RA
Posts: 231
If you have a non cancel rate but the hotel has not yet taken the money and you cancel the reservation will they still take it after you cancel ?

any experiences
torcross is offline  
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:27 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by torcross
If you have a non cancel rate but the hotel has not yet taken the money and you cancel the reservation will they still take it after you cancel ?

any experiences
the same situation here
apollo_liumin is offline  
Old May 16, 2010, 2:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ether
Programs: Some, not all.
Posts: 1,595
Changing Advance Purchase booking

On ichotelsgroup.com and holidayinn.com it gives me the option to change both the date and rate of my advance purchase bookings. Has anyone actually used this and can confirm what happens?

Can I change the rate to best flexible and then cancel?

Can I change the date (and just pay the difference)?

My card has yet to be charged if that makes any difference.
21H21J is offline  
Old May 16, 2010, 2:42 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Posts: 3,104
See here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-purchase.html

Cancel, no
change (and pay difference), yes.

The trick of changing to best flex first and then cancel - sometimes may work. But ymmv....
Chinatrvl is offline  
Old May 16, 2010, 2:50 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB lifetime Gold, BW Diam Sel
Posts: 17,621
Another, similar, recent thread (of literally dozens on this/related topic):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...k-advance.html

Found these threads within a minute by using "Search this forum" (NOT Search), Advanced Search, keyword "advance", "Search titles only". (Or to narrow the search, "advance purchase" as the keyword, but in this case that narrows the search a bit too much.)
KathyWdrf is offline  
Old May 16, 2010, 10:34 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ether
Programs: Some, not all.
Posts: 1,595
Saw both threads (and understand the concept of searching), but am asking if anyone has actually used the change date/rate functionality on ichotelsgroup.com and holidayinn.com.

What I don't want is to change the booking and still end up paying for the original room (as per T&C's)
21H21J is offline  
Old May 21, 2010, 12:31 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by torcross
If you have a non cancel rate but the hotel has not yet taken the money and you cancel the reservation will they still take it after you cancel ?

any experiences
any updating here?
apollo_liumin is offline  
Old May 21, 2010, 3:23 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ether
Programs: Some, not all.
Posts: 1,595
I've asked the same question here as it appears the website will let you change the booking rate to flexible.

Yet to have any confirmation on this.
21H21J is offline  
Old May 21, 2010, 4:57 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
any updating here?
Originally Posted by 21H21J
I've asked the same question here as it appears the website will let you change the booking rate to flexible.

Yet to have any confirmation on this.
The rules are clearly stated in your reservation confirmation. Most advance purchase rates allow:
1) changing of dates.
2) no cancellation.
3) no modification - whatever it may mean.


a) Whether it is allowed to change to best flex and subsequently cancel, depends solely on the hotel. I doubt you will get one single "binding regulation" here on FT how hotels handles such "tricks" (yes it's a trick, imo... ). If you have nothing to lose, give it a try. It usually says "reservation cannot be modified" - which may mean that a (rate) modification to best flex is not allowed.

b) Cancelling an advance purchase rate is against the T&Cs you agreed to when making the reservation. Period. If the hotel hasn't charged you yet, you can try to cancel and hope for mercy. Sometimes it may slip, sometimes they will agree to cancel your reservation due to special circumstances, and sometimes they just simply will charge your credit card.

c) The website lets you do anything with your reservation, including cancelling an adv. purchase - but also advises that "cancellation penalties may apply".

If you see no possibility to change dates, you can either hope for mercy or the hotel looking over it. Or you try to contact the hotel directly and explain your situation and see what they can do for you.


Experiences:
1) I once tried the trick of changing the best flex and then cancelling. It worked.

2) I once tried to change a friends & family rate to a way more expensive best flex rate (better room) a few days before arrival, and neither the hotel nor the service center allowed me to do so. (Apparently didn't want my additional revnue )

Last edited by Chinatrvl; May 21, 2010 at 5:08 am
Chinatrvl is offline  
Old May 26, 2010, 11:25 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
The rules are clearly stated in your reservation confirmation. Most advance purchase rates allow:
1) changing of dates.
2) no cancellation.
3) no modification - whatever it may mean.


a) Whether it is allowed to change to best flex and subsequently cancel, depends solely on the hotel. I doubt you will get one single "binding regulation" here on FT how hotels handles such "tricks" (yes it's a trick, imo... ). If you have nothing to lose, give it a try. It usually says "reservation cannot be modified" - which may mean that a (rate) modification to best flex is not allowed.

b) Cancelling an advance purchase rate is against the T&Cs you agreed to when making the reservation. Period. If the hotel hasn't charged you yet, you can try to cancel and hope for mercy. Sometimes it may slip, sometimes they will agree to cancel your reservation due to special circumstances, and sometimes they just simply will charge your credit card.

c) The website lets you do anything with your reservation, including cancelling an adv. purchase - but also advises that "cancellation penalties may apply".

If you see no possibility to change dates, you can either hope for mercy or the hotel looking over it. Or you try to contact the hotel directly and explain your situation and see what they can do for you.


Experiences:
1) I once tried the trick of changing the best flex and then cancelling. It worked.

2) I once tried to change a friends & family rate to a way more expensive best flex rate (better room) a few days before arrival, and neither the hotel nor the service center allowed me to do so. (Apparently didn't want my additional revnue )
how can you change the prepaid rate to the best flex rate?
apollo_liumin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.