70% rule - non qualifying stay [merged]

Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:09 am
Original Poster

70% rule - non qualifying stay [merged]

I have just talked to customer service about a stay in the UK where on my account it showed up as non-qualifying. It was booked on the HI website but at a discounted rate. Customer services said as the cost of the stay was less than 70% of the standard rate it was non qualifying and I got zero points. Is this normal? I stayed over 100 nights in HI/EHI/CP in the UK last year, nearly always at discounted or BOGOF rates and always got points. If this is a change of policy my loyalty to ICH Group my change!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:31 am

Nothing new under the sun. I´ve read similar posts several times here, but haven´t had that happen to me. And trust me, I always book very cheap rates.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:56 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by cool pics
I have just talked to customer service about a stay in the UK where on my account it showed up as non-qualifying. It was booked on the HI website but at a discounted rate. Customer services said as the cost of the stay was less than 70% of the standard rate it was non qualifying and I got zero points. Is this normal? I stayed over 100 nights in HI/EHI/CP in the UK last year, nearly always at discounted or BOGOF rates and always got points. If this is a change of policy my loyalty to ICH Group my change!
This is not new, but if you call Ambassador services again and firmly insist that you should be given points since you booked a rate on their website, or whatever reason, you most likely at least get a "one time exception".
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've had this happen before and it was for a locally negotiated rate in Asia Pac, which has an exception to this silly rule. The Singapore service centre is particularly poor in this respect (and love their one time exceptions). I now always check that I'm on a qualifying rate on arrival at the hotel and make it clear I will not spend a penny with them beyond the cost of the room if the room rate does not qualify .
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
There's no such thing as a firm 70% rule. Each hotel has their own definition as to which rates qualify for points, so the best thing to do is to contact the hotel before booking to ensure the rate is qualifying.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the name of the rate you stayed on?

The only thing in the terms about 30%/70% is for locally negotiated rates in North, South and Central America and the Caribbean, but PCR service center employees have been known to use this 30% rule to "explain" NQ postings even if it is not applicable?

Originally Posted by PCR Terms
www.priorityclub.com/terms "Eligible Charges Worldwide include the following Qualifying Room Rates paid for hotel room nights: including the hotel’s Advanced Purchase Rate, Best Flexible Rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHG's HOLIDEX® Plus reservation systems. Points will be awarded for Qualifying Room Rates booked through IHG central reservation offices, IHG web sites, travel agents or directly at the hotel. In addition, in North, South and Central America and the Caribbean, points may be collected on locally negotiated rates if these rates are discounted less than 30%. At Asia Pacific hotels, Qualifying Room Rates also include all locally negotiated rates."
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
There are a number of posts out there about the Entertainment rates not getting credit because they often get down to 50% of Best Available rate. My inquries about it also got the %70 rate line which my corp discount (15%) and/or the gym discount (25%) satisfies.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmaddock
and/or the gym discount (25%) satisfies.
What is the gym discount?

There are a number of posts out there about the Entertainment rates not getting credit because they often get down to 50% of Best Available rate.
The justification for excluding that rate is more properly because it is a "50% travel club discount rate", not because it is more than 30% off. PCR agents are not good at mastering details.

Originally Posted by PCR Terms
Points are not issued for stays at the following reduced room rates (“Non-Qualifying Room Rates”; “Non-Qualifying Stay”): net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
I've had this a couple of times before. Both times I resolved it by calling Ambassador services; once it was resolved immediately by the first rep I spoke to, the other time it took a lot of insisting from me and demanding to speak to a supervisor etc. I kept repeating that it had been booked via their website which made it a qualifying rate, but they just weren't listening to start with - but I got there in the end. I got the "one time exception" on both occasions.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:37 pm

Was it Bloomsbury London? I never get points awarded for stays there. Always get the flannel that its a cheap rate.

However a very, very cheap stay last week a the K/Forum last week gave me all my points.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Last year I got the 'deeply discounted' line as a reason for a rejection on a stay booked during one of the 72 hour sales in Australia. The Terms and Conditions of the rate stated that it was applicable for PC points.

When it comes to qualifying rates, PC agents haven't got a clue, and simply refer you to the terms and conditions, which don't even mention the reason they give you for rejection.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perthite
When it comes to qualifying rates, PC agents haven't got a clue, and simply refer you to the terms and conditions, which don't even mention the reason they give you for rejection.
Yep--they've discovered that there is a 30% rule somewhere in the T&C but they over-apply it.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by soitgoes
What is the gym discount?
My gym - Lifetime fitness - has an affinity discount good at Staybridge and Candlewood for 25% off the rack rates.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
My gym - Lifetime fitness - has an affinity discount good at Staybridge and Candlewood for 25% off the rack rates.
I am a Lifetime Fitness member. What is the code?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by alhcfp
I am a Lifetime Fitness member. What is the code?
No code that I know of - you use the member advantage discount links from mylt.com.

Note: They also have discounts at a scattered number of specific Holiday Inn/Express locations but they aren't very well specified until you click the link from their site. The Staybridge/Candlewood discount is 25% off rack rate which usually means the lifetime rate is good during the week but more often than not the publicly offered weekend rates and/or advance purchase rates will beat or match it. Be sure to search using both the regular website and the link before booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.