Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy calls from the front desk

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL PM, UA 1K, BW Diamond, HH Diamond, IC PA, MR Gold, GP Silver, Avis First, National EE
Courtesy calls from the front desk

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the following:

I'm staying at a HI and get a call from the front desk on my 3rd day of stay, "Hello, Mr. __, I'm calling to check and make sure everything is going well with your stay and to thank you for being a member of Priority Club."

The problem is that the call was around noon and I was sleeping. My work often means being up all night and sleeping during the day. I had a do-not-disturb sign on my door. The housekeeping staff honored it and slipped a note under my door. Why can't the front desk honor my request?

If I had received the same call at midnight I would have been upset as well. Am I suppose to notify the front desk every time I decide to sleep during the day? I've spent about 250 nights in various hotels this year and something similar to this incident has occurred several times and not just with the IC chain. Any suggestions/tips?
Old Nov 26, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
They're probably making sure that nothing bad happened to you. Hotels generally call/knock on the door if they see that the DND sign has been up for over 12 hours consecutively.

If you do not wish to be disturbed you can call the front desk in advance to tell them that you'll be asleep until a certain time.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
I've had it before, but only approx 15 mins after I've hit my room after checking-in. "Just checking that everything's okay with your room".

It's a nice touch I think (but not if you're sleeping, granted!)
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Not exactly from the front desk, but the IC Athens called me virtually everyday to make sure i was ok . Nice touch but slightly excessive.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
I guess there are worse things than having attentive hotel staff.
Just tell them upon checkin, that you don´t want to get any calls and you should be fine.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:55 am

So basically the problem was about "courtesy calls"
As a hotelier in a chain hotels the courtesy calls are a must and a matter of standart operational procedures. Standart timing will be 12:00 to 13:00 and 20:00 to 21:00 as most of the hotels following.
If you got a DND button in your room the Front Desk or telephone operator won't be able to see that on their screens because the door lock's or if the DND panel is electrical they are not connected to the automation systems the hoteliers using. OPERA(most of the hotels), ONq(hilton), EMMA(radisson).
So as mentioned above you can ask front desk personel to add an alert that you are not willing to receive any calls during your stay and it will be good to go.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Hello Tim Tkachuk, welcome to Flyertalk and your first post!

Whilst your post contains useful and relevant information to us today, unfortunately the original poster won't see it. You have located a 12 year old thread from 2009 and "resurrected it" and the original poster was last active on FT in 2011.

But keep giving us useful information.!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by antichef
..the original poster won't see it. You have located a 12 year old thread from 2009 and "resurrected it" and the original poster was last active on FT in 2011.
Maybe someone should message him, check he's OK .....
Jon Maiman and antichef like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.