Holiday Inn Gent / Ghent (Master Thread)

Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Holiday Inn Gent / Ghent (Master Thread)

Anyone stay here? Going to be in that area this weekend and looking for a decent place to stay with family (I'm plat, of course).
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Have never stayed there myself, but know where it is. It's located on the grounds of an exhibition complex, with an adjacent Ikea... to my opinion not the nicest of areas for a hotel. But there's a direct tramline (nr. 1) that goes straight through the center of Ghent, which has some very nice midieval buildings.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I noticed the area didn't look like an ideal one, but the tram should make up for it. I was looking at the Marriott, but that was double the price. Novotel was too much for breakfast (only Gold with them, so no freebie) and a little more expensive.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

So... we stayed there. We did get upgraded to an executive room due to status, but the lounge is closed on the days we were there (Fri-Sun). Room was fine, bed was good. Resturant... no.

Went in for breakfast (which I forgot to add to the reservation) and stood for 5 minutes, no one to check you... screw it, sat down with family, I figured they'd come over to us and ask for the room number (never did). First stop, coffee... glass was dirty, pieces of food stuck to it... grab another, same... repeat 7 times until I find a clean mug. Same with the spoons. Turns out, that was a waste of time, undrinkable turpentine calling itself coffee. Breakfast food was ...., crap scrambled eggs, burnt rubbery bacon, etc. Sad excuse for a breakfast (at a place that labels itself 4 stars), maybe 6 hot items and none worth eating.

Room was fine, desk staff were friendly, food is terrible. I like food, and hotel breakfast is a must for me (also lazy in the morning) so this hotel is a no for me. If you just need a decent room, it's not a bad hotel. Tram is about 200m walk away, takes 15-20 minutes to get to the city center. Not the best location, but unlike the majority of the places in city center this one has parking (10 euro/day, but they didn't charge me).
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Sounds dire. I usually don't bother with the expensive breakfast these hotels offer and go to a nearby caf. At HIX the breakfast is free, but the endless tramp of people milling about usually ends up really irritating me. These days, I tend to prepare myself and just improvise something in the room, using the tea making facilities there. To each his own, I suppose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.