Wiki Posts
Search

Necessity of Travel Insurance when Paying with a Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Necessity of Travel Insurance when Paying with a Credit Card

Hai..
I am wondering about the need for travel insurance when making my travel arrangements using a credit card? Seeking advice from fellow travelers who have experience with credit card protections and coverage for trips. Specifically interested in understanding whether the built-in insurance benefits offered by credit card companies provide sufficient coverage for unexpected events while traveling, such as trip cancellation, lost luggage, or medical emergencies. Give me some suggestions to take decision for purchasing additional travel insurance.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:59 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! The likely answer is: It depends. It depends on what credit cards you hold, where you reside, how you're paying for your trip, where you're going and what you'll be doing. Your best bet is to read each card's travel insurance policy carefully, then compare its benefits to the benefits (and cost) of a standalone travel insurance policy.

While I haven't personally used the travel insurance benefits for any of my credit cards, I have used other insurance-like benefits, and IMHO the level of coverage but also the level of headaches can vary. For example, I had multiple cards that had purchase protection insurance and extended warranty coverage. Basically, if I lost or broke a product within 60 days of purchasing something on the card, it would be repaired or replaced. And, the warranty was doubled, for up to a year.

American Express:
  • Me: "I had a picture framed, then dropped the frame on the way home and it broke." Amex: "Oops, send us a picture of the frame and copy of the receipt, and we'll credit the purchase price back to you so it can be replaced."
  • Me: "My printer stopped working and it's 1 month past the end of the manufacturer's warranty. Amex: "That's too bad. Send us the receipt and a copy of the warranty and we'll credit you the purchase price."

Discover:
  • Me: "I bought a new bathroom medicine cabinet, and when I was attaching the mirrored door, the mirror cracked. Discover: "That's unfortunate. Please send us three estimates for the cost of repairing the mirror." Me: "Um, there's no one who can repair or replace the mirror. Discover: "Please continue to respond to absurd requests until we decide whether to cover it."
Another card (can't remember which one):
  • Me: "My fitbit broke just outside of the manufacturer's warranty." Them: "Please provide us with a repair estimate on letterhead of an authorized repair center." Me: "There is not repair center. Fitbit doesn't make their watches repairable." Them: "We can't make a decision until we have a repair estimate."
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ThomasEva12 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by ThomasEva12
Hai..
I am wondering about the need for travel insurance when making my travel arrangements using a credit card? Seeking advice from fellow travelers who have experience with credit card protections and coverage for trips. Specifically interested in understanding whether the built-in insurance benefits offered by credit card companies provide sufficient coverage for unexpected events while traveling, such as trip cancellation, lost luggage, or medical emergencies. Give me some suggestions to take decision for purchasing additional travel insurance.
Note from your profile are in USA.
As above a lot depends on where you are travelling. If out of USA check very carefully. Then check again. Especially for medical emergencies including medical evacuation to your home. Medical can cost in the $100,000's in some places. Are places that require cash or credit card first.
Many more threads in insurance in this forum--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/
From Ambien to luggage to travel insurance, if it's a travel product, we're going to talk about it. For all things electronic, please visit the Travel Tech Forum.
Emergency Evacuation Insurance from Chase Credit Cards
Do You Purchase Travel Insurance?
Old Dec 9, 2023, 4:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I self-insure for most things as if I get stranded or lose stuff I can generally afford to replace my flights/hotels/possessions even if they come to thousands of USD. But healthcare, particularly in some countries, could end up costing millions which I can't afford, so that's what I'm looking for in travel insurance and anything else is a bonus/nice to have.

So if it were me in this situation, I would just look at the foreign healthcare coverage of any credit card insurance and if it appears to be sufficient then I wouldn't get any extra.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:46 am
Suspended

I just checked my Amex Plat card travel insurance benefits. For medical, it covers "emergency medical". I am not sure if they cover doctor's visit for non-emetgency such as flu, diarrhea, etc. These are non-emergency, but antibiotics require doctors prescription.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AfterHour
I just checked my Amex Plat card travel insurance benefits. For medical, it covers "emergency medical". I am not sure if they cover doctor's visit for non-emetgency such as flu, diarrhea, etc. These are non-emergency, but antibiotics require doctors prescription.
Paying for a doctor's visit is not that big if a deal if it comes to that. It's certainly much cheaper than paying additional insurance premiums every time you travel.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.