Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: the Definitive Thread

The moderators did a great job of re-organizing this discussion pertaining to the use of the Search function available on FlyerTalk after it was moved from its original forum posted long before there was an Information Desk forum.

However, the functionality does change over the years and you can help keep information regarding the functionality updated by contributing to this WikiPost.

Please contribute your helpful tips, tricks and suggestions on how fellow FlyerTalk members can improve the results of searching for anything which has been posted on FlyerTalk.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie

This long-overdue thread is intended to contain all of the information you need to know pertaining to how to successfully search for information on FlyerTalk. This thread also assumes that you possess basic knowledge pertaining to how to navigate around the FlyerTalk Internet web site.

The vision I have for this thread is not only to simply give instructions on how to perform every kind of search possible on FlyerTalk, as well as how to search for information without using the FlyerTalk search engine, but it is also open to questions about how to perform specific types of searches, as well as give tutorials on how to do all types of searches on FlyerTalk. Be as creative as you can be in having the FlyerTalk search engine perform the most efficient search for information for you and post your questions in this thread!

Although I will do my best to help, I do not intend to be the only person assisting other FlyerTalk members with the FlyerTalk search function. I encourage other knowledgeable FlyerTalk members to also participate in and contribute to this thread not only by helping other FlyerTalk members, but also by posting tips and tricks to help harness the power of the FlyerTalk search engine and use it as efficiently as possible.

This thread is NOT for asking about technical issues regarding the Search feature for FlyerTalk, such as Search is not working today what is the problem?. Please post your questions and comments regarding technical issues pertaining to the FlyerTalk search engine separately in this forum.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and for your patience.

The following are quick links to take you directly to the specific infomation which you are seeking:

Basic Uses of Search
Advanced Uses of Search
Searching for Information Without Using Search
Tips and Tricks for Searching for Information on FlyerTalk

Please add more links to the above list when you add your own tips and tricks to this discussion. Thank you in advance.
Print Wikipost

Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Is it still possible to search within a specific forum? I worked out how to search for a keyword within individual threads, but can no longer find the search function to search a keyword in posts, within different threads
Old May 1, 2024, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
Is it still possible to search within a specific forum? I worked out how to search for a keyword within individual threads, but can no longer find the search function to search a keyword in posts, within different threads
​​​​​​In "advanced" search, if you scroll down, you'll see the option to select a specific forum instead of "all open forums"
SPN Lifer and brenrox like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Adam1222
​​​​​​In "advanced" search, if you scroll down, you'll see the option to select a specific forum instead of "all open forums"
Thanks! I see if you click forums up top there is a drop down to Search forum too.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Including and Excluding Forums in Your Search

When conducting a search of the entire site of FlyerTalk, you might not want to include some forums — for example, the OMNI forum, to which not all FlyerTalk members have access.

To exclude all three OMNI forums, copy and paste the text below:

Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&exclude=457,652,699
The numbers at the end of the text above reflect the number which is assigned to the forum. For example, 457 is OMNI; 652 is OMNI/PR; and 699 is OMNI/Games. To find those numbers, simply go to the forum...

Code:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-457/
...and you will find the forum number at the end of the Universal Resource Locator; or URL.

You can also include a forum with the following text, using the three OMNI forums once again as an example and using the word include instead of exclude as an example:

Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&include=457,652,699
Try it for yourself!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.