Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: the Definitive Thread

The moderators did a great job of re-organizing this discussion pertaining to the use of the Search function available on FlyerTalk after it was moved from its original forum — posted long before there was an Information Desk forum.

However, the functionality does change over the years — and you can help keep information regarding the functionality updated by contributing to this WikiPost.

Please contribute your helpful tips, tricks and suggestions on how fellow FlyerTalk members can improve the results of searching for anything which has been posted on FlyerTalk.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie

This long-overdue thread is intended to contain all of the information you need to know pertaining to how to successfully search for information on FlyerTalk. This thread also assumes that you possess basic knowledge pertaining to how to navigate around the FlyerTalk Internet web site.

The vision I have for this thread is not only to simply give instructions on how to perform every kind of search possible on FlyerTalk, as well as how to search for information without using the FlyerTalk search engine, but it is also open to questions about how to perform specific types of searches, as well as give tutorials on how to do all types of searches on FlyerTalk. Be as creative as you can be in having the FlyerTalk search engine perform the most efficient search for information for you and post your questions in this thread!

Although I will do my best to help, I do not intend to be the only person assisting other FlyerTalk members with the FlyerTalk search function. I encourage other knowledgeable FlyerTalk members to also participate in and contribute to this thread not only by helping other FlyerTalk members, but also by posting tips and tricks to help harness the power of the FlyerTalk search engine and use it as efficiently as possible.

This thread is NOT for asking about technical issues regarding the Search feature for FlyerTalk, such as “Search is not working today — what is the problem?”. Please post your questions and comments regarding technical issues pertaining to the FlyerTalk search engine separately in this forum.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and for your patience.

The following are quick links to take you directly to the specific infomation which you are seeking:

Basic Uses of Search
Advanced Uses of Search
Searching for Information Without Using Search
Tips and Tricks for Searching for Information on FlyerTalk

Please add more links to the above list when you add your own tips and tricks to this discussion. Thank you in advance.
Print Wikipost

Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caribconsult
is there a table showing what all the single character fare types represent?
If I understand your question correctly, caribconsult, fare types typically vary by airline and are not universal — so, no.

Moreover, there are occasionally times where fare types of an airline are added, eliminated or changed...
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
You may want to isolate your basic search to all of the information posted within a single thread. This is the most specific form of a basic search.

To do a basic search within a thread on FlyerTalk:
  1. Go to the desired FlyerTalk thread where you want to search for information.
  2. Click on Search this Thread found between Thread Tools and Rate Thread in the dark blue bar near the upper-right portion of the window of your browser.
  3. Type in the key word or words on which your search will be based in the field of the resulting small Search Forums pop-up window.
  4. The default for FlyerTalk is set to Show Threads, which will display the results of your search in the form of links to entire threads. If you prefer to have the links to specific mileposts displayed as a result of your search, please select the button next to Show Posts instead.
  5. Click on the Go button to activate the search.
First, I don't see the Show Threads vs. Show Posts option. Is this info outdated?

Second, when I hit go, I do see post-snippets within the thread containing the search term, but I don't know how to find the complete post. Clicking on the snippet always takes me to the main thread page, and it is difficult to find a particular post if the thread is 50 pages long.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by elexhobby
First, I don't see the Show Threads vs. Show Posts option. Is this info outdated?

Second, when I hit go, I do see post-snippets within the thread containing the search term, but I don't know how to find the complete post. Clicking on the snippet always takes me to the main thread page, and it is difficult to find a particular post if the thread is 50 pages long.
When I click on Search right now. there are two radial buttons, Show threads and Show Posts, so I'm not sure why you're having problems.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
When I click on Search right now. there are two radial buttons, Show threads and Show Posts, so I'm not sure why you're having problems.
This is what I see: http://imgur.com/a/mQhlS
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:33 am

This is what I see: http://imgur.com/a/mQhlS
That's odd.

If you click on advanced search, do you see "Show Threads" versus "Show posts"? If you click Show Posts, in the search results, do not click on the title of the thread, but rather the first line of text in the message, which should be hyperlinked in italics under the name of the poster. That should bring you to the specific post.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
That's odd.

If you click on advanced search, do you see "Show Threads" versus "Show posts"?
I do not see Show Threads or Show Posts in advanced search. Here's what my advanced search looks like: http://imgur.com/a/8uYqw

I'm using Chrome on a mac.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Congratulations, elexhobby — you found an error which has stood the test of time for nine years; and I have edited the content accordingly.

Show Threads makes absolutely no sense when you are searching for content within a thread; so you will not find that option — never have, never will.

The radial buttons to which Adam1222 is referring will only appear when you are searching multiple threads and not just content within a thread.

I hope this makes sense; and I apologize for any inconvenience my error caused.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you are searching for a Hilton HHonors property — let’s say the Hilton Park Lane hotel — searching using the word “Park” or “Lane” may prove to be a futile exercise as there is a chance that too many threads may appear as a result.

Did you know that you can refine your search for information on FlyerTalk using two or more key words with the + symbol?

To search threads or mileposts using two or more key words:
  1. Go to the FlyerTalk forum of your choice. In this case, the Hilton HHonors forum will be used as an example.
  2. Click on the Search This Forum pop-up menu near the top-right of the browser window.
  3. Choose Advanced Search.
  4. Type in Park+Lane with no spaces in the Key Word(s) field on the left.
Only threads or mileposts with both Park and Lane will appear as a result.
Um, what is a milepost, in this context?

Thank you for explaining this. I was excited to read it, as it solves the problem I was having.

Well, almost. It works just as you said: "Only threads or mileposts with both Park and Lane will appear as a result." However, Park and Lane do not need to appear together, or even in the same post for a thread to be returned. (In my brief testing, the terms did both appear on the same page, which is way better than both terms appearing anywhere in the thread.)
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serpens
Um, what is a milepost, in this context?

Thank you for explaining this. I was excited to read it, as it solves the problem I was having.

Well, almost. It works just as you said: "Only threads or mileposts with both Park and Lane will appear as a result." However, Park and Lane do not need to appear together, or even in the same post for a thread to be returned. (In my brief testing, the terms did both appear on the same page, which is way better than both terms appearing anywhere in the thread.)
Milepost is a term I made up long ago for content posted on FlyerTalk, rather than simply post. I thought it was more appropriate for a site such as FlyerTalk.

Back when what you referred to was written almost 17 years ago, what I wrote was the case. The search feature on FlyerTalk has improved over the years; so what I wrote may be slightly outdated at this point...
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Milepost is a term I made up long ago for content posted on FlyerTalk, rather than simply post. I thought it was more appropriate for a site such as FlyerTalk.
Fair enough.
Back when what you referred to was written almost 17 years ago, what I wrote was the case. The search feature on FlyerTalk has improved over the years; so what I wrote may be slightly outdated at this point...
In case it wasn't clear, the main purpose of my post was to thank you for providing useful information. I had seen the information was old; it is still correct as written (as far as I can tell). It comes close to solving the problem that you mentioned, and I hoped to inform others, who might have misinterpreted (as I did) what you posted all those years ago, that it returns instances where the two terms are not adjacent. As far as I can tell, the improvements to the search features on FlyerTalk do not include a full solution to your example problem (Park Lane), but the plus sign is a real time saver even if it does not return only what I had hoped.

Thanks again.
Canarsie and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Your assistance, Canarsie, has stood the test of time.

Too bad I am unlikely ever to make it out to Brooklyn.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Too bad I am unlikely ever to make it out to Brooklyn.
That is one of the sadder things I've read. (That's not a dig at Brooklyn; it would be sad never to make it out of anywhere.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:54 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold

Thanks for chiming in Canarsie, because I wasn't sure what that referred to!
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This section of the FlyerTalk forum is called Miles & Points, and I think it was even called that 17 years ago.

And even some airlines, including Southwest Airlines, use points, not miles.

So I think perhaps a better term might have been milespointspost.

Milepost seemed like a confusing term when the example being quoted above was searching for a hotel, not an airline. I know of know hotel programs that call their currency "miles".
Old Dec 9, 2023, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
This section of the FlyerTalk forum is called Miles & Points, and I think it was even called that 17 years ago.

And even some airlines, including Southwest Airlines, use points, not miles.

So I think perhaps a better term might have been milespointspost.

Milepost seemed like a confusing term when the example being quoted above was searching for a hotel, not an airline. I know of know hotel programs that call their currency "miles".
Seems like a discussion of the pros and cons of a term someone used in a post 7 years ago is not particularly helpful to anyone, or relevant to the topic of the thread.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.