Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: the Definitive Thread

The moderators did a great job of re-organizing this discussion pertaining to the use of the Search function available on FlyerTalk after it was moved from its original forum posted long before there was an Information Desk forum.

However, the functionality does change over the years and you can help keep information regarding the functionality updated by contributing to this WikiPost.

Please contribute your helpful tips, tricks and suggestions on how fellow FlyerTalk members can improve the results of searching for anything which has been posted on FlyerTalk.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie

This long-overdue thread is intended to contain all of the information you need to know pertaining to how to successfully search for information on FlyerTalk. This thread also assumes that you possess basic knowledge pertaining to how to navigate around the FlyerTalk Internet web site.

The vision I have for this thread is not only to simply give instructions on how to perform every kind of search possible on FlyerTalk, as well as how to search for information without using the FlyerTalk search engine, but it is also open to questions about how to perform specific types of searches, as well as give tutorials on how to do all types of searches on FlyerTalk. Be as creative as you can be in having the FlyerTalk search engine perform the most efficient search for information for you and post your questions in this thread!

Although I will do my best to help, I do not intend to be the only person assisting other FlyerTalk members with the FlyerTalk search function. I encourage other knowledgeable FlyerTalk members to also participate in and contribute to this thread not only by helping other FlyerTalk members, but also by posting tips and tricks to help harness the power of the FlyerTalk search engine and use it as efficiently as possible.

This thread is NOT for asking about technical issues regarding the Search feature for FlyerTalk, such as Search is not working today what is the problem?. Please post your questions and comments regarding technical issues pertaining to the FlyerTalk search engine separately in this forum.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and for your patience.

The following are quick links to take you directly to the specific infomation which you are seeking:

Basic Uses of Search
Advanced Uses of Search
Searching for Information Without Using Search
Tips and Tricks for Searching for Information on FlyerTalk

Please add more links to the above list when you add your own tips and tricks to this discussion. Thank you in advance.
Print Wikipost

Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:29 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
When I want to see what my last posts or threads are, several are missing. And the "relevance", on what is that based?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:41 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Brobbel
When I want to see what my last posts or threads are, several are missing. And the "relevance", on what is that based?
See: Search problems
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Thanks to the FT team for adding (or maybe I have only now discovered) this new feature:

Search this Thread:

(Located just below this Quick Reply section)

I'll give it a try! ^
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:29 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Thanks to the FT team for adding (or maybe I have only now discovered) this new feature:

Search this Thread:

(Located just below this Quick Reply section)

I'll give it a try! ^
One caveat here, there is a known issue that requires you to use the advanced search at the bottom of the search box and then make sure the "Show Results as Posts" is selected or it will only return the thread as the result. It is planned to be fixed at some point.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems to be working fine for me lately.

so now i can just focus on the removed time delay and character requirement. ^^

only thing i think is still kind of a problem is list by thread listing threads repeatedly.
Old May 22, 2008, 2:26 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Searching by specific user by post date results in an error.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Doing a search in a forum searches all forums. Tried using Advanced Search page and specifying a forum but I still get results for every forum. Argh...
Old May 27, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by cityfishing
Doing a search in a forum searches all forums. Tried using Advanced Search page and specifying a forum but I still get results for every forum. Argh...
It's one of the NEWER problems with the IB Beta Search. All the search problems are currently reported in the master thread though.

In case you missed it: Search Problems
Old May 27, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lin821
It's one of the NEWER problems with the IB Beta Search. All the search problems are currently reported in the master thread though.

In case you missed it: Search Problems
Thanks. I just read the latest posts on that thread and it seems like multi-forum search problem appeared this weekend.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:07 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I think the search feature is dead right now....
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Once the restoration of the Search function is considered finalized and completed, I intend to update this thread.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
One big improvement would be to have a link on the search page to a page giving Help on Search. (Does such a page exist at the moment, or is this thread all there is?)
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:21 am
Suspended

also activate Also search in child forums if you want to search in the sub-forums of a forum. A sub-forum is known as a child forum, while the main forum is known as a parent forum. For example, if you chose to search under Global Airline Alliances for your information, choosing Also search in child forums will search the oneworld, SkyTeam and Star Alliance forums. Similarly, choosing to search under Airline Programs for your information with Also search in child forums activated will not only search every airline forum such as the US Airways Dividend Miles forum, but also its America West FlightFund (Discontinued Program) and US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-FlightFund Merger) sub-forums, or child forums, as well.

After choosing the desired settings in how the search should be performed, one must click on the Search Now button in order to activate the results.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:22 am

Programs: NZ and UA
Originally Posted by nbevan
One big improvement would be to have a link on the search page to a page giving Help on Search. (Does such a page exist at the moment, or is this thread all there is?)
good suggestion. even a link to this thread could prove helpful
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:06 pm

I have been trying to search within this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...u-bna-pit.html
for the word "posted", but I keep getting the following response:
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : posted"

As far as I can tell, I am following the below procedure exactly. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
To do a basic search within a thread on FlyerTalk:
  1. Go to the desired FlyerTalk thread where you want to search for information.
  2. Click on Search this Thread found between Thread Tools and Rate Thread in the dark blue bar near the upper-right portion of the window of your browser.
  3. Type in the key word or words on which your search will be based in the field of the resulting small Search Forums pop-up window.
  4. Click on the Go button to activate the search.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.