Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This thread originally appeared in 2004 when FlyerTalk switched to completely new bulletin board software with tons of new features. This thread was designed to help members learn about those new features.

We'd appreciate your help in distilling the useful bits of knowledge from this thread and putting them here in this wiki! Also, please feel free to suggest things that can be merged from this thread into other resources in the Information Desk forum to reduce clutter and duplication.
Print Wikipost

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:06 pm
dba

Programs: TWA(sigh), JetBlue, Delta
Okay. And I think I finally found the right button for "go to first unread post". I still don't understand the suggestion in the Wiki about clicking on the link in the "Last Post" column -- there's nothing clickable there except "Go to last post" and the name of the poster (which brings up info about the poster). But as long as I have a place to click I'm okay.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There's a little arrow you can click which indeed takes you to the last post (as least it does for me).
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:23 am
dba

Programs: TWA(sigh), JetBlue, Delta
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There's a little arrow you can click which indeed takes you to the last post (as least it does for me).
Yes -- but what I was looking for was "first unread post". I think I've figured out how that works, but it seems to not always be consistent.

For the threads in "MyFlyerTalk", there is a little arrow to the left of the thread title if and only if I have unread posts in that thread, and it does indeed seem to take me to the proper post.

For the threads elsewhere on the board, I am not sure why the arrow is sometimes there and sometimes not. I thought at first it was there whenever I had started a thread but hadn't finished it, but no: I've found examples of threads I never started that have the arrow (taking me to the 1st post) and threads I never started that seem to think I did and take me lower down, as well as plenty of threads (some that I've started and some not) that don't have the arrow at all.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The software doesnt remember every thread where you have read or not. It only remembers the last time you logged in and any threads read in the current session.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

How to Access the Original Milepost from Where a Quote Originated

Sometimes a FlyerTalk member has been traveling extensively, for example, and has not read FlyerTalk in quite some time.

In catching up with everything that has been posted to a thread since that FlyerTalk member last logged in and read it, a portion of a milepost from several days — and several “pages” — ago might be quoted.

Or, perhaps there is a quote that came from another thread — but which thread, and in which forum?!?

Until now, one had to manually search for the source of that quote. That could be quite tedious, if not impossible — unless one asks the FlyerTalk member directly who posted the quote from where it came.

Now, with vBulletin version 3.6.4 powering FlyerTalk, there is a little grey button (with a little chevron inside of it pointing to the right) to the right of the name of the FlyerTalk member being quoted within the quote. Clicking on it will take you to the original milepost from where the text in the quote came.

There is no longer any need to attach a link to the thread or milepost from which the quote came. The little grey button replaces that need.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 29, 2006 at 10:39 pm
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Page Navigation Within a Thread is Now Much Easier!

One might notice that the list of page numbers in the bar at the top and at the bottom of long threads with many mileposts is no longer in exact consecutive order, but rather allows one to skip ten, one hundred or even one thousand pages with a single click.

Better yet, there is an upside-down triangle that has been added to the page number bar at the top and at the bottom of all threads. Click on it, and a pop-up window will appear with the words Go to Page... in it. Simply type in the page number to which you would like to navigate, click the Go button, and you are there.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Multiple Quotes Within a Milepost: Now More Convenient!

Some FlyerTalk members post one milepost for each quote they post, which can result in several consecutive mileposts in a thread.

Other FlyerTalk members will quote several different quotes in one milepost, but that usually took some time and effort — until now.

At the bottom-right corner of each milepost is four buttons, including the Edit and Quote buttons. The second button from the right is a button with a large quotation mark and a + symbol in it. Click on that button in each milepost that you would like to quote. That button should turn red and the + should become a - when clicked upon in each milepost. Then, click on the either the Quote button in any of those selected mileposts or the Post Reply button.

All of the quotes now appear quickly and conveniently in one milepost, ready for you to add your own comments before posting.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 29, 2006 at 11:07 pm
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
At the bottom-right corner of each milepost is four buttons, including the Edit and Quote buttons. The second button from the right is a button with a large quotation mark and a + symbol in it. Click on that button in each milepost that you would like to quote. That button should turn red and the + should become a - when clicked upon in each milepost. Then, click on the either the Quote button in any of those selected mileposts or the Post Reply button.
The new features are excellent -- thanks FT Tech Crew for including them!

Just a note for those looking for the Edit button: it only shows up on your own posts (or, I'm guessing, any post that you have authorization to edit).
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
The new features are excellent -- thanks FT Tech Crew for including them!

Just a note for those looking for the Edit button: it only shows up on your own posts (or, I'm guessing, any post that you have authorization to edit).
You are absolutely correct, wideman.

Thank you for that important clarification.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
In the PM window, when you start to type a recipient, a drop down list of names comes up of possible matches. ^ Very helpful for long handles.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by redbeard911
In the PM window, when you start to type a recipient, a drop down list of names comes up of possible matches. ^ Very helpful for long handles.
Hadn’t noticed that yet but you’re correct.

Good catch!!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
PM notification by e-mail now sends message

The actual PM message is now sent with e-mail notification, not just a noet that you have a message.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:17 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Canarsie
At the bottom of the general FlyerTalk Forums area is a list of Currently Active Users. At the top of this list is the total number of users currently browsing FlyerTalk. This number is broken down into registered FlyerTalk members and guests who have not yet registered. Also displayed is the greatest number of users to have ever browsed FlyerTalk all at once and when this record occured.
i noticed today using both safari and firefox that this feature is now mising
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by redbeard911
The actual PM message is now sent with e-mail notification, not just a noet that you have a message.
As a user this is great. If I were running the site I'd probably not do something like this as the notification is a great way to drive traffic to the site.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who has posted in this thread? How many times?

When viewing the list of threads from the Forum view (or myFlyerTalk), click on the # of replies in the "Replies" column (between "Last Post" and "Views"). A small box will pop up showing displaying who has posted to the thread and how many times!

Here are this thread's stats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.