Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This thread originally appeared in 2004 when FlyerTalk switched to completely new bulletin board software with tons of new features. This thread was designed to help members learn about those new features.

We'd appreciate your help in distilling the useful bits of knowledge from this thread and putting them here in this wiki! Also, please feel free to suggest things that can be merged from this thread into other resources in the Information Desk forum to reduce clutter and duplication.
Print Wikipost

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,Alaska MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Question and then what?

Originally Posted by Canarsie
To place a FlyerTalk member on one’s Ignore List:
  • Click on MyFlyerTalk.
  • Click on Buddy / Ignore Lists, located in the Miscellaneous section of the MyFlyerTalk area on the left-hand side of one’s MyFlyerTalk “page”.
  • Simply enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in one of the fields under the Ignore List area.
  • Click on the Update Ignore List button.
To place a FlyerTalk member on one’s Buddy List:
  • Click on MyFlyerTalk.
  • Click on Buddy / Ignore Lists, located in the Miscellaneous section of the MyFlyerTalk area on the left-hand side of one’s MyFlyerTalk “page”.
  • Simply enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in one of the fields under the Buddy List area.
  • Click on the Update Buddy List button.
Canarsie, thanks again for an epic sort of thread. I started re-reading this to find this last post. I have added sev'l people to my buddy list, and thankfully nobody to my ignore list. But, with these people added, what does this do? Other than being an electronic version of a scratch pad of who i've found interesting the most, what can I do with this? I was imagining some quick way to click on my buddy list & see if they were online & in what forum, etc. So, my question is, aside from simply listing buddies, what can you do with this feature??
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,Alaska MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Red face half answer...!

Ok, literally a minute after I posted the above question, I went to quick links and found buddy list for the first time.... and saw it does pull up a listing of online/offline buddies. So, this is helpful. But, to the second part of my question, can it show me where they are & what forums they've posted to, viewed, etc. Logic: if I found previous posts of theirs interesting, other posts by them are good. I have figured out how to from a FT profile do the "find all posts" "find all threads started by" type of searches, but that would be some extra steps.

Give me some real world examples of how you use your buddy lists for efficient viewing.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveinSTL
I have added sev'l people to my buddy list, and thankfully nobody to my ignore list. But, with these people added, what does this do? Other than being an electronic version of a scratch pad of who i've found interesting the most, what can I do with this?
Yeah, I still can't figure out the purpose for this either...
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:25 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chexfan
Yeah, I still can't figure out the purpose for this either...
---

Well, FWIW... there was a recent thread concerning this issue:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482567

Mark
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

error
Old Dec 28, 2005, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I am considering re-organizing this thread to make the information in this thread more easily accessible.

Although I already have something in mind, including more links to information and improved colors and lists, ideas on how to do this would be graciously appreciated. Perhaps a new thread to replace this one is in order, while using this thread as a comments and suggestions thread? I do not know as of yet.

In the meantime, I am certain that there are plenty more valuable helpful hints, tips and suggestions that have yet to be added to this thread. If anyone has any, please submit them here. In the meantime, I intend to look at past threads in this forum dating back to April 1, 2004 to search for ideas.

Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Can I ask why you're not creating a FlyerTalk Wiki page for all of this instead of trying to fit it into a thread format?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robb
Can I ask why you're not creating a FlyerTalk Wiki page for all of this instead of trying to fit it into a thread format?
I honestly had not thought of it, as this thread was created before the ability to create a FlyerTalk Wiki — but that is a good idea.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Well, I meant if you're considering reorganizing the info, I'd think a Wiki page would be the most natural place to direct people. Then people could add and edit tips in a nicely formatted page.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robb
Well, I meant if you're considering reorganizing the info, I'd think a Wiki page would be the most natural place to direct people. Then people could add and edit tips in a nicely formatted page.
I have already started, robb.

Of course, you are more than welcome to assist in this project.

In fact, I encourage anyone who wants to add their own tips, hints and suggestions on enhancing the FlyerTalk experience to please do so at Using FlyerTalk.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 28, 2005 at 10:57 pm
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I have already started, robb.
Nice work Canarsie! ^ ^

I'm trying to help out here and I am just fumbling around adding and editing in this Wiki format (the 'Help' isn't really helping).

Last edited by chexfan; Dec 29, 2005 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chexfan
Nice work Canarsie! ^ ^
Thank you, chexfan — but I have a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong way to go with it, and hopefully I will get some assistance.

Also, thanks to Mikel at Webflyer, the Using FlyerTalk category is now listed under the Categories section on the main FlyerTalk Wiki page.

I may probably still re-organize this thread for those who do not like “wiki”s, but I would like to again thank robb for the idea, of which I would have not thought on my own.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

The Using FlyerTalk area is now updated with the information from this thread — but I only started the job.

chexfan deserves all of the credit for taking the information found in this thread and not only transferring it to the Using FlyerTalk part of the FlyerTalk Wiki, but he also organized it as well.

Thank you, chexfan — your efforts are greatly appreciated!

However, the job is still not complete as long as there are more useful and helpful hints, tips and suggestions to help enhance the FlyerTalk experience of as many FlyerTalk members as possible. If you have one that you would like to share, please add it to the Using FlyerTalk area, as well as posting it in this thread.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:53 pm
dba

Programs: TWA(sigh), JetBlue, Delta
Hi,

I'm a bit confused by some of the information in this thread. Maybe it has changed since it was first posted, or maybe I'm missing something.

I have two immediate questions:

(1) I am using Safari on Mac OS X 10.4.3. I can't find any buttons anywhere that take me to the first unread post. Where exactly should I be looking?

(2) There were several mentions of "reputation" but I see nothing about that anywhere on the site. Has that all gone away, or am I just not noticing it?

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Reputation was tried quite some time ago, and turned off fairly quickly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.