Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This thread originally appeared in 2004 when FlyerTalk switched to completely new bulletin board software with tons of new features. This thread was designed to help members learn about those new features.

We'd appreciate your help in distilling the useful bits of knowledge from this thread and putting them here in this wiki! Also, please feel free to suggest things that can be merged from this thread into other resources in the Information Desk forum to reduce clutter and duplication.
Print Wikipost

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Old May 23, 2004, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please Fix Broken Links to Other FlyerTalk Threads

After the transition from the Ultimate Bulletin Board software to the current vBulletin bulletin board software, the links to other FlyerTalk threads in many posts have been broken, meaning that when one clicks on the link, a message is displayed which informs that the page cannot be found. These cases have been sporadically reported throughout many FlyerTalk forums.

As a service to fellow FlyerTalk members, please take a couple of minutes to edit a post that contains a broken link and update it with a corrected link. Use the improved Search capabilities in FlyerTalk to find those old threads.

Of course, links should be updated as necessary, and only if they provide any sort of information that would be useful to another FlyerTalk member.

Most of the time, links to Internet web sites outside of FlyerTalk have largely remained intact and do not need to be fixed, nor do the posts that contain them need to be edited.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

How to Obtain the Exact URL of a FlyerTalk Thread or Post

I have noticed that FlyerTalk members in different threads have been asking about how to get the exact URL of a FlyerTalk thread or post, as many of them report that all they see is either http://www.flyertalk.com/forumsfr.shtml or simply http://www.flyertalk.com to identify that thread in their browser window.

If you are using a PC computer, go to Properties and you will find the exact URL address of the thread in question.

If you are using a Macintosh computer, press the Control key to View Frame Info.

Sometimes opening a separate browser window will also reveal the specific URL.

I will format this post properly at a future date when I have the chance to do so...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Canarsie: Great tips! ^

A quick question: how do you make that box in post #19. I'd like to learn the secret for the occasional time when I would like to shorten a really long item like detailed fare rules.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cAAl
A quick question: how do you make that box in post #19. I'd like to learn the secret for the occasional time when I would like to shorten a really long item like detailed fare rules.
That is an excellent use for the CODE feature, cAAl! Thank you for that tip!

Creating that box is exactly like creating a quote, size, color, etc. in the vBulletin bulletin board software.

Start off with this:

[code]

...followed by the text you want to input, such as detailed fare rules...

then end with

[/cod*]

...except substitute the * with the letter e.

If you still have questions, simply click on the Reply To Post button in milepost #19 and look at how I formatted the text using the CODE format.

If you still have questions after that, please let me know and I will see what I can do to clarify it further.

I hope I have clearly answered your question, cAAl. Please let me know regardless...
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
if you are wanting to format so things line up vertically use a fixed width font as follows

(font=courier)

insert stuff here that
must be aligned vertically
like this

(/font)

where round brackets () are replaced with square brackets []

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 17, 2004 at 12:05 am
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I hope I have clearly answered your question, cAAl. Please let me know regardless...
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the pointers!
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Canarsie suggested, I'm posting a link to something fun to do Flyertalk!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Did you know that you could add images to your text?

Do you have mail? .

Do you have an announcement that you would like to tell the world? U

Do you believe that each member of the technical staff at WebFlyer that keeps FlyerTalk maintained so that it operates smoothly deserves a & for their efforts?

Using the following character set:

` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - =
q w e r t y u i o p [ ] \
a s d f g h j k l ; '
z x c v b n m , . /
~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +
Q W E R T Y U I O P { } |
A S D F G H J K L : "
Z X C V B N M < > ?
`

?

`

...this is the result when you use the Webdings font:

a s d f g h j k l ; '
z x c v b n m , . /
Z X C V B N M < > ?
`

?

`

...and this is the result when you use the Wingdings font:

a s d f g h j k l ; '
z x c v b n m , . /
Z X C V B N M < > ?
`

?

`

You may not find it in the Font menu when composing your text, but you can use the Webdings or Wingdings fonts when composing text for a milepost if you want the message in your milepost to be more interesting and exciting.

To do so, simply choose an existing font from the font list as you are creating the message in your milepost lets say you chose Arial from the font list.

Then, simply replace the name Arial with either Webdings or Wingdings before posting your message and voil you have the symbol of your choice!

Click the Reply w/Quote button as if replying to my milepost to see how this milepost has been formatted if further assistance is needed.

ALERT: This milepost has been edited due to a useful tip from jfe that FlyerTalk members who use the Firefox or Mozilla browsers cannot see the Webdings or Wingdings characters, so please use them sparingly.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 7, 2005 at 9:58 pm
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Will the slowness go away?

Geez, not only is my old Mac incredibly slow, so is my relatively antique Wintel Machine running Mozilla over Windows 98SE.'

Is this temporary? Or must I move my posting activities to my OSX iBook?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: DL GM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Tennisbum; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:57 pm Reason: x
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:52 pm
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Can the OP change the title of his/her thread?

A couple of times, I've wanted to change the title of a thread I've started. Am I able to do that as the original poster, or do I have to ask someone else to do that for me?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:09 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by aku
A couple of times, I've wanted to change the title of a thread I've started. Am I able to do that as the original poster, or do I have to ask someone else to do that for me?
The moderator of the forum where the relevant thread is posted has to change the title. Just send a note to the forum moderators, and one of them will take care of it for you.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Creating Internet Links

It is very easy to create a link to either another FlyerTalk thread or to a different site altogether on the Internet.

One can either format the link as FlyerTalk or simply as www.flyertalk.com. If one places the cursor over a link, the link will automatically highlight with an underline. This is especially useful if a link to FlyerTalk, for example has been formatted and stylized.

One caveat, however: If one posts an unformatted link (such as www.flyertalk.com) which is extraordinarily lengthy, it will alter the width of all of the mileposts located on that specific page of that thread by expanding them, causing most other FlyerTalk members to continuously scroll left and right simply to read each milepost on that page in that thread. Formatting a link is one way to resolve this problem.

If a link must be unformatted, there are methods in which a link to an Internet web site may be shortened by creating a shorter link that serves the same purpose. Two of many such Internet web sites where one can shorten a link are as follows:By the way, any long string text unbroken by a space or return will create the same undesirable result as the lengthy unformatted link. Commas, periods and other punctuation will not break up the text as does a space or return.

The undesirable expanding effect also occurs in ones profile to the left of each milepost that one posts if there is lengthy unbroken text in ones profile.

Please be considerate to other FlyerTalk members and fix or break any lengthy text or unformatted links. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Canarsie
It is very easy to create a link to either another FlyerTalk thread or to a different site altogether on the Internet.....
Thank you so much, Canarsie! I've never thought I could do this. With your tips, I just created my first internet link post? Yeah! Now I don't need to force myself to get a CS degree in order to do those small tricks.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

How to Place a FlyerTalk Member on Ones Ignore List or on Ones Buddy List

To place a FlyerTalk member on ones Ignore List:
  • Click on MyFlyerTalk.
  • Click on Buddy / Ignore Lists, located in the Miscellaneous section of the MyFlyerTalk area on the left-hand side of ones MyFlyerTalk page.
  • Simply enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in one of the fields under the Ignore List area.
  • Click on the Update Ignore List button.
To place a FlyerTalk member on ones Buddy List:
  • Click on MyFlyerTalk.
  • Click on Buddy / Ignore Lists, located in the Miscellaneous section of the MyFlyerTalk area on the left-hand side of ones MyFlyerTalk page.
  • Simply enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in one of the fields under the Buddy List area.
  • Click on the Update Buddy List button.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.