Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This thread originally appeared in 2004 when FlyerTalk switched to completely new bulletin board software with tons of new features. This thread was designed to help members learn about those new features.

We'd appreciate your help in distilling the useful bits of knowledge from this thread and putting them here in this wiki! Also, please feel free to suggest things that can be merged from this thread into other resources in the Information Desk forum to reduce clutter and duplication.
Print Wikipost

The NEW FlyerTalk: Helpful Hints, Tips and Suggestions to Enhance Your Experience

Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to do that now. You'd have to do a global search for a post by that person and then follow the same procedure of clicking on the username and selecting the "view profile" option.

Ordinarily, you could search for the person from the Members List, but it's been disabled on FT (understandably so, as there are more than 30,000 members!).

FewMiles..
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Place the Cursor Over the Title of a Thread for a Moment...

When entering a forum on FlyerTalk, one will see a list of threads in chronological order, listing the threads with the most recent posts first, which is the default setting.

However, did you know that by placing a cursor over the title of a specific thread, one can take a peek at the first few words of the first post in that thread without opening it?

There have been many times already where the innocuous title of a thread compelled me to place my cursor over the title of that thread to see what the original poster had in mind in the first few words of the thread’s first post. If it interested me, I clicked on the title of the thread to enter it; if it did not interest me, I skipped that thread and moved on.

While there are times that the first few words still did not give me enough of a clue as to what the crux of the thread is about, it still has proved to be a time-saving feature for me.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:15 pm
21A

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Canarsie, thank you for this explanation - but I see I worded my question very poorly. It is very simple to find the profile for someone whose post I have in front of me - but how do I find the profile for someone without such a post? I knew easy workarounds for doing that in the old FT - but can't figure out how to do so now.
The easiest way I've found to do it is to go to Advanced Search and enter the user name (with "Exact Name" checked). Once you've done that, you don't even need to view the results of that search, but rather, at the very top where it says "Search: Posts made by:" that user's underlined name, click on it and you'll be whisked to their profile.

Another slightly randomly amusing feature is that if you enter at least 3 characters without Exact Name checked, you'll see every user name containing them. Did you know that there are over 60 users registered with "777" in their name?

Last edited by mkincaid; Apr 10, 2004 at 2:17 pm
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Sending a Private Message

mkincaid, thank you for your elegant solution. I have found a fast way to send a private message without having a profile. I go to "My FlyerTalk", and under "Private Messages", click "Send a new message". I type the person's handle in the form and send my note on its way.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:50 am

Why don't I have a "Report Bad Post" icon?

The red-outlined triangle...
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:52 am

....because you don't need to report your own post...

Hopefully, you're happy with what you post, and don't feel a need to subsequently report it to the moderators.

Originally Posted by alien
The red-outlined triangle...
Old Apr 22, 2004, 6:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Hopefully, you're happy with what you post, and don't feel a need to subsequently report it to the moderators.
Well certain people probably would
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

How to Access TalkMail

By no means is this a new feature in the new FlyerTalk, but ever since the controversial issue of TalkMail was released on Friday, April 23. 2004, questions have appeared all over FlyerTalk asking about how to access TalkMail.

Some FlyerTalk members thought that they were not subscribed to TalkMail anymore. Others had not received it yet in their e-mail accounts. Still others were asking fellow FlyerTalk members to e-mail them their “copy” of the latest issue of TalkMail.

There is no need to do this.

To access the latest issue of TalkMail without ever having to first log into your e-mail service, all one has to do is click on the black TalkMail tab at the top of virtually every FlyerTalk screen. The TalkMail tab is located between the Photos and Postcards tabs.

After clicking on the TalkMail tab, click on the Click here to view the TalkMail archives! link at the bottom of the page, or click the link provided in this paragraph.

Once the next page loads, there is a pop-up menu which reads “past archives...” Click on it.

All of the previous issues of TalkMail will be listed in descending chronological order, starting with the most recent issue at the top. Click on the desired issue of TalkMail to read it.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 6:07 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent thread, thank you very much for taking the time to compile this... ^
Old May 9, 2004, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Airport Code Lookup

Have you ever encountered a FlyerTalk member using a three-letter airport code, and you have absolutely no idea about what airport that FlyerTalk member is discussing?

Do you want to refer to an airport by its official three-letter code but have no idea what it is?

Did you know that there is a quick and easy way to look up an airport code in FlyerTalk?

To look up an official three-letter airport code:
  1. Simply click on Quick Links, which will be one of the choices (more specifically, the second choice from the right, between Search and Log Out) that will appear in the blue bar at the top of any thread or forum.
  2. At the bottom of the resulting pop-up menu, click on Airport Code lookup.
  3. When the Airport Code Lookup page appears, enter the three-letter airport code or city name in the field provided.
The result(s) should appear almost instantly.

Bonus: Enter a city name such as New York and heliports are listed along with regular airports. Keep in mind that an area such as New York will yield six results, along with a message at the top which reads:
Too many results found... new york has multiple matches.
It is a good idea to refine your search whenever possible for best results.
Old May 9, 2004, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

How to Customize Searching New Posts or Threads

Please click here for details.
Old May 16, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
EMAILING to others.

I do not see the icons on the screen containing the post, which are needed for one to directly email the person who posted the message?

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; May 16, 2004 at 8:42 am
Old May 16, 2004, 11:30 am

We can't email but we can PM

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I do not see the icons on the screen containing the post, which are needed for one to directly email the person who posted the message?
FT no longer allows us to post our email addresses, but does give us the ability to PM each other. Click on the person's handle. You'll get a drop down menu, including an item that allows you to send a PM.
Old May 16, 2004, 5:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
FT no longer allows us to post our email addresses, but does give us the ability to PM each other. Click on the person's handle. You'll get a drop down menu, including an item that allows you to send a PM.

Thank you, for the information.
Old May 22, 2004, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

View All of the Current Forum Leaders of FlyerTalk

With the current vBulletin bulletin board software, it is now possible to view the “title” of a FlyerTalk member simply by looking underneath their FlyerTalk name.

No, don’t bother looking under my FlyerTalk name — I do not have a title.*

Some FlyerTalk members do have special titles, however. For example, doc, with greater than 40,000 posts, is known as a FlyerTalk Legend. Catman has the title of Commander Catcop, whatever that means.

Most of the other FlyerTalk members that have titles usually sport either FlyerTalk Evangelist (for those FlyerTalk members who have posted greater than 10,000 posts), administrator (they are easy to spot — their FlyerTalk names are in bold red letters — and they are the ones who work at WebFlyer and maintain FlyerTalk), TalkBoard member, and Moderator.

I do not have to explain the last two titles, do I?

Anyway, a Moderator’s FlyerTalk name is always in bold type, so they are easy to recognize. However, I did not know that some of the FlyerTalk names that I have seen before FlyerTalk switched to the current bulletin board software were actually moderators, and I wonder which forums they moderate. However, I did not want to start visiting the plethora of forums to find out, and neither should you if you so choose.

To view all of the current forum leaders of FlyerTalk: On the main FlyerTalk forum page, click on View Forum Leaders at the bottom of the list of FlyerTalk forums, which is next to the Mark Forums Read option and above the What’s Going On? window. There will be three lists displayed: Moderators, Administrators and TalkBoard. Within each list will be all of the FlyerTalk members who are currently serving FlyerTalk, conveniently located on one page. The dot at the left of the name of each FlyerTalk member informs as to whether that FlyerTalk member is currently on-line (green) or off-line (gray), while one can send a private message directly to that FlyerTalk member by clicking on the corresponding SendPM button on the right side of the list. Additionally, one can also access the profile of each FlyerTalk member by clicking on the name of that FlyerTalk member. However, Moderators also have listed in the column to the right of their FlyerTalk names the forums in which they moderate.

By the way, even if a FlyerTalk member qualifies for more than one title, only one title can be displayed underneath the FlyerTalk name.

Based on that last statement about multiple titles, I will leave this post with a little FlyerTalk trivia question:

Which FlyerTalk member has the distinction of qualifying for three separate FlyerTalk titles?

*This statement was typed before I was officially appointed a FlyerTalk moderator in July 2004.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 26, 2005 at 1:17 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.