Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Booking West Coast US to MEL Fares

Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS

Mostly been going back with award for business and it's been a while since I last did a cash ticket for business from (SFO, LAX, DFW) to MEL.
Will be flying from SLC but those are three options with direct to MEL. Looking for departure around end of june, return end of july.

Looking at the RT fare seems it's $9k~ (direct), $7k~ for 1/2 stop options.
Seems steep!

The last time I bought a cash it was $4k~ RT for business so just wanted to double check that these prices are the norm now...
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When was "last time"? Before CV19? Fares are higher, but a lot of capacity.
More airlines into SYD, then a separate SYD-MEL (~70 minutes wheels up/wheels down) an option. Also consider BNE.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia. Schedules can change. Not all routes daily.
  • Air Canada AC YVR – SYD BNE [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX ORD SFO IAH JFK YVR – AKL – Australia various[Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX SEA via PPT Tahiti & AKL. Last segment on QF codeshares. (AA AS partner) [SEA new route March 2023]
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD. DFW-BNE from 27 Oct 2024 - Mar 2025(new route) [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Delta DL LAX – SYD. Starting Dec. 4, 2024 LAX BNE three times per week to March 28, 2025. [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL YVR– NAN - BNE SYD CBR MEL ADL. (OneWorld Alliance connect.)
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to BNE ( AA VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to/from BNE & MEL
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW HNL YVR* - SYD; LAX - BNE; LAX DFW - MEL. {* seasonal}. SYD-AKL-JFK from 14 June 2023. [OneWorld Alliance]
  • United UA SFO LAX - MEL, IAH* LAX SFO - SYD, SFO LAX – BNE*. {* seasonable}.[Star Alliance]. (VA partner)
  • and others via Asia, South America & Middle East
overlord207 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When was "last time"? Before CV19? Fares are higher, but a lot of capacity.
More airlines into SYD, then a separate SYD-MEL (~70 minutes wheels up/wheels down) an option. Also consider BNE.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia. Schedules can change. Not all routes daily.
  • Air Canada AC YVR SYD BNE [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX ORD SFO IAH JFK YVR AKL Australia various[Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX SEA via PPT Tahiti & AKL. Last segment on QF codeshares. (AA AS partner) [SEA new route March 2023]
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD. DFW-BNE from 27 Oct 2024 - Mar 2025(new route) [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Delta DL LAX SYD. Starting Dec. 4, 2024 LAX BNE three times per week to March 28, 2025. [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL YVR NAN - BNE SYD CBR MEL ADL. (OneWorld Alliance connect.)
  • Hawaiian HA HNL SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to BNE ( AA VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ HNL SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to/from BNE & MEL
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW HNL YVR* - SYD; LAX - BNE; LAX DFW - MEL. {* seasonal}. SYD-AKL-JFK from 14 June 2023. [OneWorld Alliance]
  • United UA SFO LAX - MEL, IAH* LAX SFO - SYD, SFO LAX BNE*. {* seasonable}.[Star Alliance]. (VA partner)
  • and others via Asia, South America & Middle East
Yes, it was a while ago, November 2019

Thanks for such a comprehensive list, highly appreciate it!
I was just looking at UA and QF before. Going through FJ or NZ could be good alternatives.

I've been trying to avoid going between SYD-MEL as QF has always bumped one of my carry on to checked luggage on the domestic portion even though it's been allowed on the inbound flight. (flying with lots of electronics and it's over the weight limit)
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by overlord207
Yes, it was a while ago, November 2019

Thanks for such a comprehensive list, highly appreciate it!
I was just looking at UA and QF before. Going through FJ or NZ could be good alternatives.

I've been trying to avoid going between SYD-MEL as QF has always bumped one of my carry on to checked luggage on the domestic portion even though it's been allowed on the inbound flight. (flying with lots of electronics and it's over the weight limit)
I pay good money to avoid the SYD domestic<--->international transfer.
Transiting in AKL is simpler than in SYD or BNE.

QF carry-on may have changed since 2019. Now 14 kg, with 1 carry-on to 10kg
QF link---> https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...n-baggage.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by overlord207
Mostly been going back with award for business and it's been a while since I last did a cash ticket for business from (SFO, LAX, DFW) to MEL.
Will be flying from SLC but those are three options with direct to MEL. Looking for departure around end of june, return end of july.

Looking at the RT fare seems it's $9k~ (direct), $7k~ for 1/2 stop options.
Seems steep!

The last time I bought a cash it was $4k~ RT for business so just wanted to double check that these prices are the norm now...
Inflation alone means that $4000 flight in 2019 is $5000 now. Plus there was loads of pent-up demand for flights to Australia after the pandemic with limited supply and so airlines raised prices quite dramatically.

You may want to look into YVR as an option.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airlines might permit connections in Asia on a through fare. In fact, some might still offer pacific circle or circle pacific fares (similar to RTW) which would require a brief stopover in Asia (or South America) and also include a number of separate domestic flights within Australia/NZ. I've used these in the past, although I know that what I did is no longer offered.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines might permit connections in Asia on a through fare. In fact, some might still offer pacific circle or circle pacific fares (similar to RTW) which would require a brief stopover in Asia (or South America) and also include a number of separate domestic flights within Australia/NZ. I've used these in the past, although I know that what I did is no longer offered.
Yeah good point, CX offers through HKG for around $2000 less than UA for a RT fare. 12~ hour extra overall transit time though in each direction.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Oneworld still offer circle pacific fares.

https://www.oneworld.com/world-travel
oneworld's Round The World tickets give you unprecedented access to hundreds of destinations in 170 territories. We offer three types of Round The World trips:
  • oneworld Explorer: a continent-based fare,
  • Global Explorer: a distance-based fare,
  • Circle Pacific: an inter-continental journey to explore continents that border the Pacific Ocean.
Circle Pacific
Multi-Continent Air Travel
If you prefer to visit multiple continents without actually flying all the way around the world, our Circle Pacific fare lets you explore the continents that border the Pacific Ocean. You can choose to start and finish your journey in one of the following continents:
  • Asia (Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)
  • Southwest Pacific (Australia and New Zealand)
  • North America (USA and Canada)
  • South America
Contact a oneworld member airline or your travel agent to plan and book your Circle Pacific trip now.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

The RTW pricing is really good.. don't have time for that this trip though.

Do you know if there's a way to price out a Circle Pacific fare without being on the phone with an agent? I want to play around with some stopovers in Asia. It could make sense to add a few days and stop in HKG or Japan.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oneworld have an online tool for *ONE* & *GLOB*. Has errors at times. No idea if it works for OW Circle Pacific. Suspect it does not. Worth a try
AA has a RTW desk that has a good reputation
OW RTW booking tool --->https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/
overlord207 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.