Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Connecting with liquids from abroad

Old Aug 4, 23, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Tomorrow I am flying from Munich connecting in Chicago (ORD) before continuing onwards. I wanted to bring some beer with me. The beer would be the only thing to warrant a checked bag. So two scenarios I am considering:

1. If I buy beer from a store before I would checkk the bag in MUC, butI know in ORD I will have to recheck my bag. Could I take the beer out and put it in my checked bag? Or will I have too go through TSA again?

2. If I were to buy beer at the airport in MUC after security, would that be a problem in ORD after passing customs (because of a possible TSA check)?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 23, 9:27 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! You will not be able to carry beer through security in Chicago -- it must be in your checked bag unless it happens to be in tiny 3 oz bottles, which I don't think is a thing. Clear immigration and customs, then put it in a bag to check. As a note, you will have to go through TSA screening before your next flight regardless of which terminal you're leaving from. All international flights -- except those that have pre-cleared -- land at Terminal 5. Once you clear immigration and customs, you'll be dumped into the public part of the terminal. There's no option to remain inside security to transit to your connecting flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 23, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information and your help!
Old Aug 4, 23, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If you buy the beer at an airport duty-free shop and it is placed in a tamper evident bag, you can take it through a TSA security checkpoint, where it will be analyzed, and carry it on your connecting flight.

Please refer to the following thread in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:
willoL and chgoeditor like this.
Old Aug 7, 23, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There are some first-hand accounts on FT where TSA denied allowing a properly-sealed duty free bag with liquids through security even when citing the policy, so proceed with caution.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.