Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

First Leg of Flight Cancelled can I still fly the Second

Old Jul 11, 23, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Have a flight booked from Burlington Vermont to EWR on July 22 connecting to a flight to Dublin Ireland all on the same ticket. Over the past two weeks the Burlington to EWR flight has been cancelled with a high degree of regularity. The flight from EWR to Dublin has flown every day. If my flight from Burlington to EWR gets cancelled can I drive to EWR (6 hours) and catch the EWR leg of my flight?
Old Jul 11, 23, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Blackfly3042
If my flight from Burlington to EWR gets cancelled can I drive to EWR (6 hours) and catch the EWR leg of my flight?
Not without discussing and agreeing this with the agent that booked the ticket and/or the airline(s) involved.

If this truly is all on one ticket - and not somehow pieced together via a third-party agent (some online agents sell you what appears to be a single reservation, but in reality are two separate bookings they have made in your name) - then when your flight from Burlington is cancelled, you would need to contact the entity that sold you the ticket to be rebooked. In most cases, this would involve booking you on a new flight from BVT and would not require you to drive for 6 hours (you could, for example, be rebooked onto UA2192 to ORD and UA980 from ORD to DUB; or UA4307/606/4454 to IAD, and UA228 from IAD to DUB)

Only once you have made contact with the agent that sold the ticket - and had agreed with them that the ticket is changed from a BTV-DUB ticket to a EWR-DUB ticket - would you be able to drive to EWR to catch your flight. If you just arrive at EWR and hope to fly from there without contacting the airline, you will almost certainly find that your ticket has already been cancelled and it could take some effort to get it re-instated.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 11, 23 at 8:35 am
Old Jul 11, 23, 10:00 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA Silver (soft landing)
Had similar issue and w/ticket bought directly from UA had them delete the segment and notate in file. Rest of ticket stayed and after completion I even received a partial refund (had to request) for the canceled portion.

If you do it on your own- as "irishguy28" stated, the ticket will most likely be canceled.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.