Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Spend My Miles PLEASE!

Spend My Miles PLEASE!

Old May 22, 2023, 3:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 2
Spend My Miles, PLEASE!

Hi All,

I have amassed about million points, 800k amex and 100k chase. Have a cruise and flight to Europe booked and this trip has now morphed into a round the world jaunt it seems. As the wife said, 'gotta use those miles sometime!'

I have been trying but it seems most of the cash options are better value than reward seats, if there are any at all. Seems stars have to align or just plan a trip around good reward flights for miles to actually be useful and worthwhile. Here is rough itinerary:

Already booked, LAX to BCN 37k avios plus taxes. I am dreading this leg as seems like it's the Spirit of Spain (Level).

FCO to SGN July 11 to 14: played around with SE Asia and can spend a day or two if layover seems nice as no direct flights from Rome. IST actually seems interesting, direct to SGN and Turkish has availability albeit seems expensive at 135k plus $450 per person. Also seems only way I can book is via Aeroplan and that flight doesn't even show up. There was a cheap biz option for around $1200 via Middle East and would need to puddle jump from Singapore.

Final leg SGN to LAX, July 23 to 26. Checked usual suspects from Taiwan, Hkg, Korea with no luck. Did find a cash biz ticket from Japan for $1200 but seems like it's gone. Otherwise no availability or 300k+ per person!

Have joined several mileage programs, some I have never even heard of let alone can pronounce and seems like most of the sites make it difficult to even search for award availability let alone book, I assume by design?

Have no issue with sitting in the back for the shorter/repositioning flights would obviously like to score business class/lie flat for the long hauls and happy to use miles/cash/combo, whatever is most is most effective. Haven't even considered using points for hotels as just the airline portion makes my head spin.

Brand new to this forum so apologies if this post is in wrong section or incorrect format. Just trying to learn how to most efficiently and effectively use these miles. You know what they say: happy wife, happy life!

Last edited by citats; May 22, 2023 at 3:28 pm
citats is offline  
Old May 22, 2023, 3:45 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 20,822
citats Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by citats
I have amassed about million points, 800k amex and 100k chase. Have a cruise and flight to Europe booked and this trip has now morphed into a round the world jaunt it seems. As the wife said, 'gotta use those miles sometime!'

I have been trying but it seems most of the cash options are better value than reward seats, if there are any at all. Seems stars have to align or just plan a trip around good reward flights for miles to actually be useful and worthwhile. Here is rough itinerary:

Already booked, LAX to BCN 37k avios plus taxes. I am dreading this leg as seems like it's the Spirit of Spain (Level).

FCO to SGN July 11 to 14: played around with SE Asia and can spend a day or two if layover seems nice as no direct flights from Rome. IST actually seems interesting, direct to SGN and Turkish has availability albeit seems expensive at 135k plus $450 per person. Also seems only way I can book is via Aeroplan and that flight doesn't even show up. There was a cheap biz option for around $1200 via Middle East and would need to puddle jump from Singapore.

Final leg SGN to LAX, July 23 to 26. Checked usual suspects from Taiwan, Hkg, Korea with no luck. Did find a cash biz ticket from Japan for $1200 but seems like it's gone. Otherwise no availability or 300k+ per person!

Have joined several mileage programs, some I have never even heard of let alone can pronounce and seems like most of the sites make it difficult to even search for award availability let alone book, I assume by design?

Have no issue with sitting in the back for the shorter/repositioning flights would obviously like to score business class/lie flat for the long hauls and happy to use miles/cash/combo, whatever is most is most effective. Haven't even considered using points for hotels as just the airline portion makes my head spin.

Brand new to this forum so apologies if this post is in wrong section or incorrect format. Just trying to learn how to most efficiently and effectively use these miles. You know what they say: happy wife, happy life!
Class of travel? July is now close in for awards. Popular time for travel.

Consider these ---> Award booking services - a list and some reviews
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/

SGN from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_So...tional_Airport
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...=bm&PW=3&DU=mi


Credit card transfer links

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 22, 2023 at 3:55 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 22, 2023, 3:54 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 2
[QUOTE=Mwenenzi;35270654]citats Welcome to FT
Class of travel? July is now close in for awards. Popular time for travel.



Thx, will check them out. Business or First. Anything with lie flat for the long hauls.
citats is offline  
Old May 22, 2023, 4:01 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 20,822
Originally Posted by citats
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
citats Welcome to FT
Class of travel? July is now close in for awards. Popular time for travel.
Thx, will check them out. Business or First. Anything with lie flat for the long hauls.
Airlines/aircraft/routes with first class are decreasing.
Awards in first and business class get taken quickly. Depending on the frequent flyer program awards can start to be available 355/330 days out. Also consider Premium economy.
With 2 passengers that is 3-4 times harder than 1 passenger.
At least you have a credit card to purchase tickets.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old May 22, 2023, 4:34 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York Metropolitan Area 45 km from JFK
Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Posts: 4,607
Originally Posted by citats
Hi All,

I have amassed about million points, 800k amex and 100k chase. Have a cruise and flight to Europe booked and this trip has now morphed into a round the world jaunt it seems. As the wife said, 'gotta use those miles sometime!'

I have been trying but it seems most of the cash options are better value than reward seats, if there are any at all. Seems stars have to align or just plan a trip around good reward flights for miles to actually be useful and worthwhile. Here is rough itinerary:

Already booked, LAX to BCN 37k avios plus taxes. I am dreading this leg as seems like it's the Spirit of Spain (Level).

FCO to SGN July 11 to 14: played around with SE Asia and can spend a day or two if layover seems nice as no direct flights from Rome. IST actually seems interesting, direct to SGN and Turkish has availability albeit seems expensive at 135k plus $450 per person. Also seems only way I can book is via Aeroplan and that flight doesn't even show up. There was a cheap biz option for around $1200 via Middle East and would need to puddle jump from Singapore.

Final leg SGN to LAX, July 23 to 26. Checked usual suspects from Taiwan, Hkg, Korea with no luck. Did find a cash biz ticket from Japan for $1200 but seems like it's gone. Otherwise no availability or 300k+ per person!

Have joined several mileage programs, some I have never even heard of let alone can pronounce and seems like most of the sites make it difficult to even search for award availability let alone book, I assume by design?

Have no issue with sitting in the back for the shorter/repositioning flights would obviously like to score business class/lie flat for the long hauls and happy to use miles/cash/combo, whatever is most is most effective. Haven't even considered using points for hotels as just the airline portion makes my head spin.

Brand new to this forum so apologies if this post is in wrong section or incorrect format. Just trying to learn how to most efficiently and effectively use these miles. You know what they say: happy wife, happy life!
Who is going to plan your trip for you ?
Best way to save miles and points is to book for yourself only and let your wife stay at my place.
WingedWorldExplorer is offline  
Old May 23, 2023, 3:59 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 4
You might be just lucky and find available last minute a deal for points. I have in past.
cutefish is offline  
Old May 23, 2023, 9:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Posts: 3,926
Originally Posted by citats
Hi All,

I have amassed about million points, 800k amex and 100k chase. Have a cruise and flight to Europe booked and this trip has now morphed into a round the world jaunt it seems. As the wife said, 'gotta use those miles sometime!'

I have been trying but it seems most of the cash options are better value than reward seats, if there are any at all. Seems stars have to align or just plan a trip around good reward flights for miles to actually be useful and worthwhile. Here is rough itinerary:

Already booked, LAX to BCN 37k avios plus taxes. I am dreading this leg as seems like it's the Spirit of Spain (Level).

FCO to SGN July 11 to 14: played around with SE Asia and can spend a day or two if layover seems nice as no direct flights from Rome. IST actually seems interesting, direct to SGN and Turkish has availability albeit seems expensive at 135k plus $450 per person. Also seems only way I can book is via Aeroplan and that flight doesn't even show up. There was a cheap biz option for around $1200 via Middle East and would need to puddle jump from Singapore.

Final leg SGN to LAX, July 23 to 26. Checked usual suspects from Taiwan, Hkg, Korea with no luck. Did find a cash biz ticket from Japan for $1200 but seems like it's gone. Otherwise no availability or 300k+ per person!

Have joined several mileage programs, some I have never even heard of let alone can pronounce and seems like most of the sites make it difficult to even search for award availability let alone book, I assume by design?

Have no issue with sitting in the back for the shorter/repositioning flights would obviously like to score business class/lie flat for the long hauls and happy to use miles/cash/combo, whatever is most is most effective. Haven't even considered using points for hotels as just the airline portion makes my head spin.

Brand new to this forum so apologies if this post is in wrong section or incorrect format. Just trying to learn how to most efficiently and effectively use these miles. You know what they say: happy wife, happy life!
You may want to explore the hotel option with points more closely, since they've been a very reliable source of value post-pandemic. You can transfer Chase points to Hyatt, which has a very good award chart. AMEX transfers to hotels aren't as tempting.
steveholt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.