Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Race Conditions and Miles?

Old May 11, 2023, 3:10 am
Original Poster

I've always found it interesting that airlines will often deduct miles from your account a long time (an hour or more) after you have purchased the flight. What happens if you book multiple flights before you have enough miles?

On this note, I noticed that Turkish Airlines will gladly charge you for taxes+fees over the phone even if you do not have enough miles in your account. Anyone know what happens if you follow through with this?
Old May 11, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rossteixeira
I've always found it interesting that airlines will often deduct miles from your account a long time (an hour or more) after you have purchased the flight. What happens if you book multiple flights before you have enough miles?

On this note, I noticed that Turkish Airlines will gladly charge you for taxes+fees over the phone even if you do not have enough miles in your account. Anyone know what happens if you follow through with this?
There isn't a general rule about this for "airlines", but making a reservation isn't the same as ticketing. Usually, the miles are deducted when the ticket is issued. If payment via miles is not made, you will not have a valid ticket.
JPG3392 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.